Building an automated habitat

MagicEngineer

I am currently building a cage for my sons chameleon. I am a bit of a tinkerer, so I can't make it simple. I want to build a computer controlled environment, where the lights cycle automatically and 2-3 times a day a simulated rain storm takes place. My question has to do with the use of special sound and lighting effects. During the simulated rain, i thought it might be nice to have a sound module activate with the sound of rain and thunder also I would have a LED simulate lightning. My concern it this could potentially have 2 different effects.
1. Since it simulates nature, the chameleon will be more comfortable
2. The noise and flashing lights will add stress and make the chameleon less comfortable.
So, the question is, is it a good idea or not.

Welcome to the forums!!

Well... It sounds like a cool idea. Just seems like over kill with the lightning simulation. Are you planning on making your own "rain system"? Their are a few companies that make them that a lot of us have. Mistking and aquazamp. Cant go wrong with either! The sounds would be cool for you, but chameleons dont really hear. They more or less pick up on vibrations.

Sounds like your future cham will be well cared for

I will be building it all myself. I am a retired engineer, and projects like this keep my mind agile. Yes, the effect will be more aesthetic than anything else, but it will be cool. I just want to make sure I don't do anything harmful to my sons pet.

I am currently building a cage for my sons chameleon. I am a bit of a tinkerer, so I can't make it simple. I want to build a computer controlled environment, where the lights cycle automatically and 2-3 times a day a simulated rain storm takes place. My question has to do with the use of special sound and lighting effects. During the simulated rain, i thought it might be nice to have a sound module activate with the sound of rain and thunder also I would have a LED simulate lightning. My concern it this could potentially have 2 different effects.
1. Since it simulates nature, the chameleon will be more comfortable
2. The noise and flashing lights will add stress and make the chameleon less comfortable.
So, the question is, is it a good idea or not.

one\ thing\ i\ read\ said\ no\ sounds\ or\ lighning\ in\ the\ wild\ chameleons\ are\ usually\ more\ stressed\ out\ than\ they\ are\ in\ captivity.
true\ or\ not\ idk\ but\ noise\ does\ upset\ them\ for\ sure\ mine\ hates\ when\ i\ run\ the\ sweeper

Alot of salt water enthusiasts as well as fresh water enthusiasts like to use thunder lighting systems above their tanks for the health of their fish. its not unheard of. Not sure however if anyone uses it with reptiles. I'm sure someone out there does but i havent heard of it yet. Sounds like a wonderful idea!

one thing i read said no sounds or lighning in the wild chameleons are usually more stressed out than they are in captivity.
true or not idk but noise does upset them for sure mine hates when i run the sweeper

Sound is a natural thing, Animals who are treated like babies in silent rooms will react negatively to sound when exposed to it, animals who are brought up with regular noise levels are fine with all sorts of noises. Don't make your poor chameleons paranoid...

Ps. there are no sweepers in the jungles .... its an unnatural sound. thunderstorms and rain are parts of their natural life.

I am to a point on this project, where i need to write the program that operates the auto feeder. For my son, I'm giving the feeder 2 settings. 1. Twice a day feedings. 2. Every other day feedings. My plan however is to make this cage usable by others as well In case I decide that they are worth selling, and that could mean that it needs other feeding modes as well. I have room on the board for 2 other feeding modes. Any suggestions as to what they should be?

I am to a point on this project, where i need to write the program that operates the auto feeder. For my son, I'm giving the feeder 2 settings. 1. Twice a day feedings. 2. Every other day feedings. My plan however is to make this cage usable by others as well In case I decide that they are worth selling, and that could mean that it needs other feeding modes as well. I have room on the board for 2 other feeding modes. Any suggestions as to what they should be?

It needs to have a daily setting, and more importantly make a cycle where it runs once a day for 6 days, then fasts for 1 day.

It needs to have a daily setting, and more importantly make a cycle where it runs once a day for 6 days, then fasts for 1 day.

Is that common? It wouldn't be that hard to do, but really, the auto feeder is designed more as a "going on vacation" option than anything else. What is the reason for the fast day?

Is that common? It wouldn't be that hard to do, but really, the auto feeder is designed more as a "going on vacation" option than anything else. What is the reason for the fast day?

Animals need a day to let their systems reset, some people even go as far as to have themselves fast for a day, I do it with all my animals and see improved health, Not sure how many others do it, but its certainly heard of.

Think of it this way, animals do not always have a readily available source of food and adults frequently go days without food.
Also, personally i wouldn't feed twice a day, unless its small amounts of insects like 4-5 crickets. Question , how will you dust the crickets and other insects?

IMO, I think you would only ever need the once a day feeding option.
Is there already a no feeding option?(off) Silly question maybe, but that could be useful.

Could you elaborate of how you plan to automate feeding a chameleon? The mechanical bit I mean.

IMO, I think you would only ever need the once a day feeding option.
Is there already a no feeding option?(off) Silly question maybe, but that could be useful.

Could you elaborate of how you plan to automate feeding a chameleon? The mechanical bit I mean.

Agreed, that is the part that really interests me.

Too lazy too read everything, but fyi, chameleons cannot hear..they have no ears.. They sense vibrations. Also, i'd keep it simpler..no need to add all that fancy storm lighting.. You still need to provide UV light constantly to them which is the bare minimum that they should receive.. Its best when they get time in natural sunlight.

What i would do though, is make it into a terrarium which you dont have to clean up very day, such as with dart frogs.. That would be pretty cool.

Agreed, that is the part that really interests me.

I ask because I cant see that process being automatized.
Any sort of ideas I come up with show significant flaws.

Maybe save you some headache if we went over it?

Also, are you just using PLCs to run everything?
If so what kind?

IMO, I think you would only ever need the once a

That's not the easiest thing to explain on a forum, but I'll give you the basics. There will be a container of crickets above the cage. It has a vertical 2 inch plastic tube going through it with a butterfly valve that allows or blocks crickets from the tube. At programmed intervals (controlled by an Arduino UNO board) a servo motor will rotate the valve open. The counter weight that closes it will then hit a micro switch that turns on an electromagnet that holds it in the open position. When a cricket walks into the tube (standing on the now open valve) a motion sensor turns off the electromagnet releasing the counter weight causing the valve to close and dropping the cricket through the tube. This process can repeat for multiple crickets. It is not perfect, as it can allow more than one cricket at a time out if the exit together, but I figure an extra cricket wont hurt anything. It is not meant to replace hand feedings or manual feedings all together, it is just a way to make sure it will be fed if my son decides to stay with a friend for a weekend.

Oh one more thing...the cricket box and tube will be black to keep the cricket in the dark. When the valve opens they will see the light and be attracted into the tube.
It sounds much more complicated than it is.

That's not the easiest thing to explain on a forum, but I'll give you the basics. There will be a container of crickets above the cage. It has a vertical 2 inch plastic tube going through it with a butterfly valve that allows or blocks crickets from the tube. At programmed intervals (controlled by an Arduino UNO board) a servo motor will rotate the valve open. The counter weight that closes it will then hit a micro switch that turns on an electromagnet that holds it in the open position. When a cricket walks into the tube (standing on the now open valve) a motion sensor turns off the electromagnet releasing the counter weight. This process can repeat for multiple crickets. It is not perfect, as it can allow more than one cricket at a time out if the exit together, but I figure an extra cricket wont hurt anything. It is not meant to replace hand feedings or manual feedings all together, it is just a way to make sure it will be fed if my son decides to stay with a friend for a weekend.

Oh one more thing...the cricket box and tube will be black to keep the cricket in the dark. When the valve opens they will see the light and be attracted into the tube.
It sounds much more complicated than it is.
No I get it, Im really hoping you share some pictures and such when you are done!

There would only be an issue if quite a few crickets came through together, and cleaning I would imagine;)

It sounds like a fun project.

So is one "cycle" a feeding? Or is it setup to do X amount of cycles per "feeding"?

Oh, IME, crickets freak out and hide when they see light...

No I get it, Im really hoping you share some pictures and such when you are done!

There would only be an issue if quite a few crickets came through together, and cleaning I would imagine;)

It sounds like a fun project.

So is one "cycle" a feeding? Or is it setup to do X amount of cycles per "feeding"?

Oh, IME, crickets freak out and hide when they see light...

When it is done I will probably post a video.

There will be both a cycle of when the feedings occur, once a day twice a day etc, and a sub-cycle of how many cricket drops per cycle 1-4. (unless actual testing reveals a need for adjustment) The every other day "adult" cycle will actually run 4 cycles at feeding time, dropping 4 8 12 or 16 crickets depending on weather 1 2 3 or 4 sub-cycles are chosen.

The crickets seem to be interested enough in finding an escape that they aren't hiding.

When it is done I will probably post a video.

There will be both a cycle of when the feedings occur, once a day twice a day etc, and a sub-cycle of how many cricket drops per cycle 1-4. (unless actual testing reveals a need for adjustment)

The crickets seem to be interested enough in finding an escape that they aren't hiding.

Sweet!

Good luck to you!

IMO a chameleon should only be fed in the first half of the day. They will need the rest of the day to digest and such.
Thats all I can think of that might be useful:eek:

Animals need a day to let their systems reset, some people even go as far as to have themselves fast for a day, I do it with all my animals and see improved health, Not sure how many others do it, but its certainly heard of.

Think of it this way, animals do not always have a readily available source of food and adults frequently go days without food.
Also, personally i wouldn't feed twice a day, unless its small amounts of insects like 4-5 crickets. Question , how will you dust the crickets and other insects?

Dusting isn't going to be part of the system. I thought about it, but decided that it was complicated enough. Since it will only be used on rare occasions it shouldn't be a big issue. I suppose you could drop some dust in the tank with the gutload for the crickets to walk through if you wanted to, but I don't think that would be all that effective.

Dusting isn't going to be part of the system. I thought about it, but decided that it was complicated enough. Since it will only be used on rare occasions it shouldn't be a big issue. I suppose you could drop some dust in the tank with the gutload for the crickets to walk through if you wanted to, but I don't think that would be all that effective.

I concur, if you dust them, then place them in the bin, that should be fine. A week of not dusting shouldnt be a problem occasionally, so you should be good.

Definitely have it set to only feed in the morning, or first half of the 12/12 cycle you decide on.

Back
Top Bottom