Bug / Birdie Bread Recipe

sandrachameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
This bread makes a nice healthy snack for birds and for crickets. Its easy to make, and is a nice compliment to other gutloads.

2 cooked and skinned sweet potatoes
4-6 eggs, shells washed with anitbacterials soap, rinsed and dried.
1 cup cooked sweet brown rice
1 small finely grated carrot
1 cup corn meal
1 cup hemp seed
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup seasame seeds
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1 teaspoon raw unsalted sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon organic unsweetened coconut
1 teaspoon raisins
6 tablespoons of bee pollen
1 teaspoon spirulina
1 teaspoon alfalfa
1-2 teaspoons wheat grass powder
optional: 1/2 cup avian pellets (be aware: most of these pellets contain vitamin A)
1 cup bisquick (a pre-mixed baking product consisting of flour, shortening, salt, and baking powder)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup water

• In a food processor or with hand held blender mixer, blend well the sweet potatoes and the eggs (with shells on, that's why you washed them - good source of calcium).
  • Pour into a big mixing bowl.
  • Mix in all other ingredients.
  • Grease a 9x12 baking pan and pour the mixture in.
  • Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
  • Cool.
  • I then cut it into squares (portions), wrap and freeze. Then just pull out and thaw a piece now and then as desired. I use in concert with fresh fruits and veggies and various dry gutload things. You can also soak the bread in water or juice to help hydrate feeders.

I suppose I should say that the ingredient amounts are all approximate, I never actually measure. also dont be afraid to try increasing or decreasing amounts of seeds and such, or leaving things out entirely. Id suggest the only important things are the sweet potatoe, eggs, bee pollen, and spirulina or wheatgrass.

Last edited:
That is a really interesting item. I never thought about baking something for my crickets! Thank you for sharing. I hope you have it posted on your blog.

Originally I made it just for my birds, but found that the crickets really like the stuff. So do the kingworms and the hermit crabs and isopods. Im sure my roaches would eat it too. I only make it once or twice a year, so its not much effort. Freezes well.

thanks for the prompt - I've added to my blog

Just wondering, iff its not too much trouble to post a picture of it? :p
Id love to 'Attempt' At making this.. im quite a bad cook hah, ill get my mother to help :) Thanks for sharing!

I got everything but the wheat grass stuff... costs waaaay too much (15$ a bottle, cheapest)

Arizona doesn't have the best soil or weather - unless it's hardy? We will skip it for now.

Yeah I'm like that Andrew Zimmern guy, I gotta try everything! Except the live things. ;)

I've eaten crickets, mealworms and other larva. the larva are actually kinda nice, nutty. So maybe any food recommendation I give should be taken with some salt, or extra icing.

Back
Top Bottom