Budget, No Skill, DIY Cage. Inspired by Silverdusk. PIC Heavy!

chambabysitter1

I finished making Chameleo Estevez a cage this weekend. It actually took me a couple weeks to make, but I had to go out of town, let it dry, etc. It was inspired by Silverdusk's PVC enclosure.

It was super easy to build, and we have a lot of free zipties and some piping at the house. I have no carpentry skills, I don't have many tools, heck, I hate measuring.

The cost mostly came from rolls of netting and joints for the pvc.
P1016971.jpg

1. 3/4 inch PVC Piping
2. 3/4 inch elbows, slip
3. PVC Pipe Cutters
4. Zip Ties
5. Hardware Net. (Check the back by all the fencing in the gardening section)
6. I spraypainted it black to look nice, make sure the paint bonds and is waterproof.

I eyeballed most of the measurements. Nothing perfect here.
P1016990.jpg

Put it all together, and check if it fit.
P1016989.jpg

Spraypainted, then ziptied back together. Door hinge made from zipties.
P1016998.jpg

Few things I learned that could save on zipties. Have a "friend" sit on the inside of the cage, and do the corner of 2 walls at once, that way you use half the zipties you would, if you just did 1 wall at a time.
P1017002.jpg

The beauty is, I could have made it as big or as small as I wanted. I followed the typical 2x2x4 design because I am not too creative.
P1017000.jpg

At 4 feet, he was really upset with the height, so I boosted it up with some crates, that fixed his glitch. Ziptied some branches in, I love zipties.
P1017008.jpg

Ziptied a thermometer to a spot it wouldn't fall. The catch is made from some velcro zipties we had at the house.
P1017006.jpg

Pretty much everything you see was saved by the glory and grace of the marvelous ziptie.

That is our neighbor's grape vines growing around the outside of his cage. They absorb the heat in a major chunk of the cage, so he always has a nice cool retreat in the back, while having plenty of access to direct sunlight in the front corner.

Now enjoy some Chameleo Updates.
His attitude has totally shifted. He is agressive, but doesn't bob his head nearly as much, and has much more bark than bite. Not the other way around anymore.

Overall, he is fitting in really well here, and enjoys hand feeding, walks to his mister, and for the most part is pretty friendly.

P1017009.jpg

Checkin his digs out, trying to find escape hatches.

P1016985.jpg

Not biting me for once.

P1016921.jpg

Taken a couple weeks ago. He is getting pretty big, he is a bit bigger now.

P1016996.jpg

Firing up during a misting session. As soon as you bust out the camera, he gets so angry!

Last but not least, video evidence of him not raging all the time anymore.

Feeding

Enjoying a mist, despite the horrid choking noises the mister made.

Beautiful!!! See it's not to hard. So, what are you using to water him? Do you have an auto mister?

Dan

It's a bug sprayer type pump. I usually spray him as long as he is opening his mouth drinking. That day he was being a serious camel. I went through another quarter gallon after it chugged out like that!

Thank you very much for the compliments. I saw your cage, and I knew it looked easy to do, I had to try it.

I maybe a newb, but forget the enclosure. Your cham's name is Chameleo Estevez?!? That is the best name ever! Kudos to your naming skills and the very nice Silverdusk inspiration.

I wanted to name mine Chuck Norris but I didn't like the name Chuck by itself.

So could you build the same enclosure for indoor use?

Chris,

I totaly think you did an outstanding job.
you also made it look so easy to make, that even an unskilled guy like me can maybe do this.

thanks for all the pics...
I know it wasn't your idea, but you still did a fantastic job.

glad to also hear he's not into bitting you much anymore.

Harry

Hahaha that is very cool to see!
Good job, man.
I can see Estevez is so happy inside.
Dare I say, maybe it's time for you to add your collection? :)

I maybe a newb, but forget the enclosure. Your cham's name is Chameleo Estevez?!? That is the best name ever! Kudos to your naming skills and the very nice Silverdusk inspiration.

I wanted to name mine Chuck Norris but I didn't like the name Chuck by itself.

So could you build the same enclosure for indoor use?

I guess I could use it indoors. From far away it looks okay, up close it isn't gorgeous. There isn't much of a drainage solution either, but if you can figure one out, let me know.

Nice job Chris
Very nice work you guys!

Came out beautiful! :)

-Jay
I really like the cage. Chameleo is looking great too.
Nice work! :)

Thank you for the kind compliments. I appreciate the encouragement and even a little critiquing.

Hahaha that is very cool to see!
Good job, man.
I can see Estevez is so happy inside.
Dare I say, maybe it's time for you to add your collection? :)
Noooooo....actually, yes! I am looking to expand in the future. I want to try my hand at another species, although not sure what kind yet.

I remember saying, "I have no space."
Then you replied, "You will make it."
Oh how you were right.

You did a nice job, but I think practice makes perfect. You can sent that one to me and try again. :D

(yes, I was joking :rolleyes:)

cage

Nice idea! I would get the cage further from the ground though. Make it so the cham can climb to the top of the enclosure and be at least eye level with you, or above. They feel more comfortable higher.

Nice idea! I would get the cage further from the ground though. Make it so the cham can climb to the top of the enclosure and be at least eye level with you, or above. They feel more comfortable higher.
Being over 6 feet tall, getting every single cage eye level or higher is a harder task then it looks.
Luckily it is eye level with average height people.

It is cheap, and you get what you get. Unfortunately, if I recall correctly, their chameleon had escaped from this cage. Use it at your own risk.

Back
Top Bottom