Broken Ribs??

rebeccaford

hey iv got two lovely chameleons but the one has little bumps on both sides of her ribs, to me they look like they are broken.
She still eats,drinks,walks,digs and climbs and has no problem doing all of these things.
juat wondered if anyone could give me any advise and if they are broken is there anything u can do to help fix this.

thanks rebecca :(

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 11,361
Last edited:
hey iv got two lovely chameleons but the one has little bumps on both sides of her ribs, to me they look like they are broken.
She still eats,drinks,walks,digs and climbs and has no problem doing all of these things.
juat wondered if anyone could give me any advise and if they are broken is there anything u can do to help fix this.

thanks rebecca

Please post pictures

yeah she has only just started digging around the viv for the past week....if she did have broken ribs she wudnt be able to move right ??

I have never seen that before... If she was gravid I would think the bumps would be much lower and she'd be fatter. They could possibly be worms??? some sort of parasite, but poking out in a bump shape? IDK... could some of the experienced keepers participate on this one, this doesn't look right.

yeah its very worrying, i dont want people thinking i dont look after her. i love my chams so much and i know i look after, feed and water them well.

i dont think its worms or a bug it doesnt move they are always there, she is abit fat and those things only show up wen she sucks in like she's doin on the photo.
im gonna have to take her to the vets......but apart from her having them lumps on her ribs she's fine

yeah have been there for about 2 weeks now, she did fall when she was younger and i gave her a look over and she seemed fine, theres wasnt any sign of broken bones or anything and she was moving about as normal

they look like bone deformations, a rescued veiled i got had them.

im sorry to add to your stress but it could be the start of mbd which my veiled has along with those bumps. what are your uvb lighting setups and supplementation like?

the uv light is a repti-glo 15 w made by exoterra and i use nutrobal a high potency calcuim balancer and multivitamin supplement to put on thier food.

it cant be anything to do with that or the other chameleon would be that same and she doesnt have a single bump or lump of her

Shouldn't it be a repti Sun 5.0? Linear tube right? not Compact Flourescent?

I never tried nutrobal, but does your calcium supplement contain any d3?

no its not a Flourescent light its a uv tube light if i wud have kept the box i wud be able to tell you, yeah sorry repti-glo 5.0. the nutrobal has got 200mg calcium& 150IU D3, plus vitamins A E K B1 B2 B6 B12 C,

no its not a Flourescent light its a uv tube light if i wud have kept the box i wud be able to tell you, yeah sorry repti-glo 5.0. the nutrobal has got 200mg calcium& 150IU D3, plus vitamins A E K B1 B2 B6 B12 C,

When using repti-glo a 10 is a better light. It is closer to the UVB or a reptisun 5

Would you mind filling this out

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage construction (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Those are broken ribs
They are NOT EGGS :cool:

Don't worry, while they will never heal properly
they will not seriously affect your animals health (imo)

It's very likely that she fell on her side and snapped them all cleanly
it must have been quite a hard fall for her
since I've never seen that many before in such a clean line
It's going to affect her breathing a bit
and when she inflates you will seen the "bend" in her rib line
There's little you can do to correct this.
Just TLC her as normal.

it is no question a sign of mbd, i doubt they even broke, they are prolly just pointy from being so weak, or maybe she did fall and break them because she had mbd in the first place

get her to a vet and get her on some liquid calcium and then figure out what u are doing wrong as far as nutrition and environment

I've been following this thread for a while now, and I do have a few thoughts.
The claims of Metabolic Bone Disorder seem a little far fetched.
Reason being, her legs and elbows seem fine.
On a side note, she is displaying receptive colors.
Now back to the topic.
I have a young female veiled that is showing little bumps on her right side.
I know darn well she doesn't have a MBD problem.
It's a little more likely that they are actually broken ribs.
My female veiled is crazy, and she will jump right out of you hand.
When you place her inside the cage she will walk right off a branch and slam into the floor of her cage.
I have to place her on the bottom of the cage so she wont do walk off her tree.

I'll expand a bit on what JewledChameleons had to say.
When a baby chameleon is threatened and is about to jump they will expand their stomaches with a big gulp of air.
When they are about to make contact with the ground they will exhale to absorb the landing.
I'm sure this could be a reason for babies having broken ribs.

I really dont think she has got MBD i think people on here are trying to make out that i dont look after my chameleons. seeing as i have two chameleons and they both have the same food, water, lighting, heat, supplements and so on....then i think the other chameleon would be having the same affects as the poorly cham.
she's always wants to come out of her viv and waits by the doors till i open them, i have to be careful because she has jumped out b4 and thats how i think she's broke her ribs. the other cham is more chilled and has never fallen and her body is fine......i really do think that the other chams ribs are broken and thats not due to me not looking after her.
if i really didnt care or look after my chams i wudnt be worried and i wudnt be on here asking for advise.

thanks for your msg justin carl at least sumone can tell i love my chameleons

Back
Top Bottom