breeding mice..

I've done it before when I had snakes in the house. I can tell you that even when I was cleaning the cage every other day they seemed to smell. I wasn't breeding a large group (only a couple of mice) so I still had to buy some when I didn't have the right size available. I would have fights with the guys in the same cage... granted I was MUCH younger then and would know better now how to deal with that stuff.

Still, I will never do that again...

I'm doing it right now...but it's time consuming, the babies take a long time to grow and the time to get my female pregnant was like a month...then there's time as blind pinkies...I'd say it's not worth the effort unless you have a large breeding colony and lots of time...and lots of snakes to feed.

haha, ok so they smell really bad?? does anyone know if i should take the male out of the cage when the babies are born? right now i have two femals and one male so hopefully ill get 2 good size litters. should i seperate the two moms or is having two litters in one cage an ok thing? any advice!

thanks!

Yes, I thought they smelled bad.

The male isn't the problem with the babies. The first clutch of any FEMALE, she ate the babies. It was discusting. I have no idea why because I was feeding them really well. I read up later that sometimes they do that. Still made me sick.

The only problem with males was when I had more than 1 in the same small cage, they would fight (which makes since now, I just didn't think about it when I was a teenager).

Just my 2 cents... it was more work than it was worth it for 1 snake.

i see, well so far so good last night i heard some loud squeaking coming from their cage and i looked over and i saw the male well, you know, with the females.. hahha. so should i expect babys in 3-4 weeks? im planning on taking out the male putting it in one cage, then taking out one of the females and putting it in a different cage about a coupole days before the 3rd week. is this a good idea? i read somewhere you should do this because the male will eat the babies, and for the female.. if one of the females have a smaller amount of babys or their babys are smaller they will think that they wont survive since there smaller and kill them.. anyone know??

thanks

Picture33.jpg

Picture34.jpg

Picture32.jpg

get them while they're young

I used to breed mice when I was a tween for extra pocket change until I got my driving license.
They're simple enough. The only reason why one may pull one of the pups
and devour them is because she's not getting enough protein in her diet
hand her a little bit of boiled chicken or other to feast upon
when her belly drops (24 hours away from birth)
and then again a day or so after he delivering.
Birth and milk production takes ALOT out of any female
and remember they evolved to eat insects along with their nuts and seeds.

if you want to make things easier, search around the pet stores
and pick up a old pregger female that the stores breeder is tossing away.
you'll get not only his bloodlines but also new genetics to enhance your captive line in a few weeks. The white lab mouse is a VERY poor breeder as are all the designer mice (dumbo) field mouse hybreds are more productive and healthier than domesticated lines although they tend to bite readily.

Please think about investing in a set of trays. it'll help keep the ammonia down.

good luck.

hey, thanks a lot. but what do you mean by trays?? both of my female mice are due anywhere between octob 11-18... so hopefully everything works out well. ill put some pics up on here if you guys want me to? anyways.. my plan is to seperate all 3 mice about 2 days before due date to make sure nothing wrong goes on, and let the 2 females give birth in peace. thanks again

Back
Top Bottom