Bradypodion

BelgiumLizard

Hello,

what kind of bradypodions are here on the forum?
And how do you keep them?

I have at home Bradypodion thamnobates.
I keep them outside in not so big screen cages, I do this so they can find the food very easy. The cages are well fully planted.
I keep them seperated from each other.
In winter time I keep them in my cool basement, where the daytime temp is about 24 ° C and nighttime temp is about 12 °C - 15°C.
I feed them all kind of small insects and the insects are beiing pouderd with korvimin and calcium.
I spray them 2 times a day.
I will post some pictures later on.

And now it is up to you guys and girls....

Best regards

Wow...thamnobates are no1 on my wishlist...are you breeding them? (I'm not that far from Belgium)

I only keep kinyongia fischeri (used to be bradypodion)...but they are by far my favourite genus :)

I hope that I can breed with them.
Mine or captive breed from january, from a friend of mine.
So it will take a while to know that i succed.

regards

In general, you'll struggle to find any Bradypodions being kept in captivity, particularly in North America. The reason for this is that Bradypodions are endemic to South Africa, and the South African wildlife authorities have placed very stiff restrictions on the trade of all indigenous reptiles.
You can't even keep bradypodion chameleons in South Africa legally, without obtaining permits that can be quite onorous to secure. They'll only allow chameleons to be exported from South Africa for scientific research these days.
Add to that the fact that many of the Bradypodion species are CITES listed as threatened or endangered - they're certainly not a species that will ever be commonly kept by herpetologists.

Chris Anderson said that there were populations of captive thamnobates established in Europe, so count yourself very lucky that you have some of these. They will probably fetch very high prices if you manage to breed them successfully, since they are very rare.

You'd probably find the following articles quite interesting:
- AdCham Species Profile: Bradypodion thamnobates
(this article mentions that these dwarfs are particularly susceptible to respiratory infections)
- The Natal Midlands Dwarf Chameleon

Hello Tygerr,

I know the articles.
And I am very lucky, I know a few guys that have this species.
So I gonne get a second bloodline in about a month.
I gonne do some research on this species and make notes to make later on a article that will be published in a herpetologist magazine in Belgium.

For breeding I have to wait untill they are adult.
When I can breed, I will keep the first hatch to myself. So I can go on breeding in the future to do more research.

But enough about my brady's...

Are there no brady's in America? Only kinyongia's...

Best regards

We have them now!

Several of us in the USA just got B. Thamnobates this week. We need to keep in contact with you. I just got my 2.2 yesterday. We are all going to share our experiences with them so we can increase our success in breeding them. I spent a lot of time watching mine today. Too much fun :p

Back
Top Bottom