Bradypodion thamnobates born

ericguru

The Bradypodion thamnobates babies have born today, are 17. They weight about 0.3, 0.4 g each. I'd like to discuss with you the best possible setup for the babies to breed them as good as possible, as some of them now are lethargic and don't move so much.
Here's a table with the weights of the females during the pregnancy:
11/1 10.2g Mating
10/2 12g
15/3 18.4g
15/4 19.4g
15/5 20.4g
25/5 13g Birth baby

p1110444m.jpg

p1110442.jpg

p4210851.jpg

p4210846.jpg

p5250934.jpg

p5250927.jpg

I would try to put them outside as soon as possible, depending on your temperatures/where you can keep them. Full sunlight can dehydrate fresh born juveniles very fast, but a place on the eastern side eg under a tree would be perfect

Beautiful!

I have been dreaming of those ever since I read Bert Langerwerf's account of breeding them in the british herpetological society journal back in the early 90s. He no longer had them when I contacted him a few years later.

Lovely lizards you have there!

Beautiful!

I have been dreaming of those ever since I read Bert Langerwerf's account of breeding them in the british herpetological society journal back in the early 90s. He no longer had them when I contacted him a few years later.

Lovely lizards you have there!

Wish I would have known that a few months back!!! Benny (eisentrauti) exported a very nice group to me last year but this year only a few people wanted them and not enough to bring them in:(:confused: I will keep you in mind when the next opportunity comes:cool:

Congrats, Eric!! Your adults are beautiful and good luck with the babies!!

I would try to put them outside as soon as possible, depending on your temperatures/where you can keep them. Full sunlight can dehydrate fresh born juveniles very fast, but a place on the eastern side eg under a tree would be perfect

Yes I have moved to the outer are better, in the shadow there are now 27 ° C

Hi Eric,

Very good to see you managed to breed them. In contrary to Benny I think it is very good possible to raise those baby's.

I use terra's which aren't to big 20x40x40 or 25x40x60 and put about 5 - 8 animals in 1 terra when they are youngh. Further I give them mainly fruitflies and if they are really small some other small insects like the ones Benny send the link for. When they are a little bigger you can give crickets as well.

Good luck with raising them.

@Steven: Of course it's possible, but do you think it's good for the genpool of our CB populations to raise every juvenile, even if it's always a animal which is way too small for it's age ?

Congrats Eric! It's good to see some success with the bradypodions every once in a while. :)

We're experimenting with our transvaalense outside. I have a feeling they require a good amount of sunshine and fresh air as they just don't seem to thrive indoors. They survive, but I get the feeling it's almost like winter to them. They handle it well for 6 or so months, then start to decline. I figure if they enjoy the hot sun and fresh sir, well we have plenty of that here. :)

Good luck and keep us posted on their progress!

Luis

@Benny, I don't think each smaller baby is a bad baby. And not all grow every fast. I don't even think all faster growing animals are the best ones.

@luis: I can't really agree. I keep my bradypodions mainly inside for more then 8 years. But fresh air and sunlight is ofcourse very good for the animals but it also depens a lot on where you live on this planet.

Damaranum-

I'm wondering for future reference what your night temps are summer and winter indoors where you keep them.

Some lizards are just runts and not good for breeding IMO.

I have also found that the fastest growing are usually not the hardiest in the lizards I have bred. That is an interesting to hear someone else who has come to that conclusion. Often the fastest growing don't do as well if conditions aren't perfect I have found. That's not to say I think the smallest are better at all, but the ones that are only very slightly more than average growing rate seem to be hardiest to me.

Hey Steven,
Maybe it's something with the transvaalense specifically? I would be curious about the temps and such as well. Like I said, they seem to do well for a few months, then slowly go down hill. Chris has noted they are prone to abscesses and respiratory infections. There must be something we're missing! :)

Anyway, I didn't mean to divert from the original topic too much. ;)

Luis

Hey Lui when I was in the heart of places to find transvaalense I noticed that I had more of a chance finding them in places like Mac-Mac falls as I found a dead female there. Closer to the water fall itself there is thick forests, almost like rainforests so I guess they like the humidity, they also live in quite a high altitude (not that I know specificly how high). I was in MacMac falls, Mt. Sheba, Sabie, Pilgrims rest, Gods Window and a few other key locations that I cant really remember.

Though I found none near where I was staying and I think it is because I wasnt checking in the dark near forests.

With transvaalense I would keep the humidity up aswell as heat, when I was there the temperature was cooler in the house with A.C than outside at night!

If you are keeping them outside then you must definetely keep them in filtered sunlight.

@fluxlizard my temperatures always differ. But in summer it is between 13 and 18 degrees at nght. In winter it is between 10 and 17 degrees at night. During the day it differs between 18 and 30 degrees.

@Luis, I don't have experience with Transvaalense yet so it is hard to say for me. But my thoughts are that they closely resemble thamnobates. So I wouldn't expect to much problems. When animals go down slowly it can be something with temperature being to high this could be day or night or together.

I hope to work with them one day. It would be a nice adition to my SA room.

Back
Top Bottom