Bloody feces, please help

Ekaj13

Hi. I need help with a chameleon I just picked up about a week ago.

Your Chameleon - approx. 1 yr old panther

Handling - never except when necessary

Feeding - while in my care he has only eaten 1 dubia and maybe a cricket or two. The breeder had been feeding him super worms and crickets before that

Supplements - none yet

Watering - misting via mistking 6 times a day, 15 minutes in total approx. Have observed him drinking although not a huge amount...

Fecal Description - I have seen two movements, the first was on the 16th. It was very runny and bloody. I noticed there was undigested insect parts in the feces. The second was tonight, and cannot really be described as a movement, he had feces stuck to his vent. I gave him a shower and it fell off. Appears to be dried blood and some unidentifiable material.

History - unknown

Cage Info:

Cage type - screen 2x2x4 cage from LLL

Lighting - reptisun 5.0 and 50w basking bulb, lights on approx 12 hours a day

Temperature - ~85 F in basking area, cooler in other areas. Low of 70F at night

Humidity - 60ish when there is no misting.

Plants - pothos, a few bromeliads

Placement - Not a traffic area.

Location - Santa fe, NM

I'm worried about my chameleon's feces. See description above. I haven't experienced this before and I'm not sure what is wrong. Tonight I've noticed that he seems a bit puffy as well. I'm hoping he is not impacted or infected with coccidia. There are no vets that specialize in reptiles in the area that I have found.

I have not been able to obtain a specimen for a fecal until tonight. And it is a mostly small piece. Will any vet be able to do a fecal exam?

I would think so....just call them and ask.
If its not a parasite though you will need to be prepared for more work to be done to determine what's up...so it would be best if you have an exotics vet.

Any vet should be able to do a fecal and, if it is a parasite, prescribe the correct medication. They should also be able to refer you to a vet who handles exotics and share the results of their tests. At least, that's what I've found to be true. If that's the case, you wouldn't have to pay for a retest at the exotics vet if that becomes necessary.

After you get him to a vet and hopefully get him healthy, how do you plan on supplementing his feeders? I noticed you had him for a week and said none yet? Is that because you don't have any or do not know that you are supposed to be supplementing? Did you know that you need three supplements you should use?

I have not given him supplements because he has not eaten anything substantial. I use both types of rep cal and herptivite with my other chameleons. I also understand how to gut load feeders. I should have noted that I follow commonly accepted husbandry techniques.

Back
Top Bottom