Black all the time

tgraunke

I dont know whats wrong. Is he sick or just stressed out. Today when I tried to take him out he bit me and tried to jump out of my hands. When I put him back into his cage he sat at the bottom just grabbing his leg. In 2 minutes he was climbing again. What mainly worries me is that he has been black for a week or 2 now. Temp is perfect, feed him 10 crickets a day, mist him twice a day, and i dont know whats wrong. HELP ME PLEASE!

chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled 9 monthes old male
Handling - once a day
Feeding - 10 crickets a day
Supplements - Exoterra Calcium 5 days a week, Exoterra multivitamin 3 times a week
Watering - mist twice a day, yes he drinks sometimes
Fecal Description - All black, have not been tested for parisites
History - none

Cage Info:
Cage Type - glass screen combo, 18" hight 18" length 12" width
Lighting - 12 hours a day uvb and heat lamp
Temperature - 75 degrease
Humidity - do not measure humidity
Plants - none
Placement - 5 feet from floor in a quiet place
Location - Scottsdale AZ

Current Problem - Chameleon is constantly black

we can try to help you but we will need detailed information. click the link in carols post and fill it out the best you can.

that is strange! click on the green tab above that says Forums and then health clinic and you will see a sticky that says how to ask for help. Copy and paste it and fill it in.

I dont know whats wrong. Is he sick or just stressed out. Today when I tried to take him out he bit me and tried to jump out of my hands.

Sounds to me like this is one of the problems. If he does that when you try and handle him then its going to stress him out. Chameleons arent animals that want to be held and played with.

copy and paste this into your reply/

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

how long have you had him? First of all I can tell you that cage is WAY too small for a 9 month old Veild. You should have him in something like 24 X 24 X 48. I have mine in a 36 X 30 X 18. What is your basking temp? Is 75 your overall temp. What kind of uvb are you using?

Ya i just ordered a new cage but my chameleon is tiny! like 2 or 3 inch torso length Ya 75 is overall had him since August. And no label on uvb it came in the starter kit i got.

Sounds to me like this is one of the problems. If he does that when you try and handle him then its going to stress him out. Chameleons arent animals that want to be held and played with.

Welcome to the forum...this is good advice :)

Also get some cham safe plants in there to help. He could be stressed as he has nowhere to hide or feel safe. Also Scottsdale is dry/desert so that will help with the humidity as well. What are you measuring you temps with? Are you sure its only 75 degrees and where is that in the enclosure?

Last edited:
So what is your basking temp then? Is your uvb a compact or a tube. Also I would cut back on the multivitamin to a couple times a month and also get some calcium with d3 and use that twice a month as well. You said poop is all black. Does it not have any white on it?

Reactions: Hoj
It might also be that there are no plants in the cage? He might be stressed out, not being able to hide on top of being handled daily would have pissed my vieled right off.

I just ordered a new cage and i will pick up some real plants. There is a tiny bit of white in the poo. How come some chameleons loved to be held and some dont?

from what i see a mutivit 3times a week is too much, should be multivit once a month, calcium w d3 twice a month, and just calcium everyday, and the poo should have a good amount of white at the tip. you also need to measure humidity, u can get a cheap digital meter from walmart.
looks like carol has you ontheright track......

How come some chameleons loved to be held and some dont?

Because they are individuals who are influenced by heredity and the world around them. You can't always predict whether any one cham will be mellow or stressy. Even when handled occasionally only as necessary some will just be nasty and some will be fine. Many mellow out as they age once they feel more secure in their territories and learn that you are not a threat.

Back
Top Bottom