Best Screen cage for Veiled

tdadarwala

What is the best screen cage (manufacturer) for a Veiled Chameleon?
I have seen reptibreeze, exo-terra types. Any suggestions?

Edit: it is approximatly 6 inches long. Not sure of the age.

Last edited:
it is approximatly 6 inches long. Not sure of the age.

Sounds like the age is no more than 3 - 4 months... might be younger. Hard to tell without a picture.

Check this cage out. I have a veiled that I cup feed and he has been doing awesome in this:
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...and-explorariums/-/65-gallon-basic-reptarium/

This site has other types like metal screen cages and to be honest I should have gone that way instead. A little more sturdy.

If you are going to go bigger cage wise make sure that you cup feed instead of free range. That way your little guy will know where to find his food.

set up?

thanks. I was looking at the 18x18x36 from the same sight. here is the link.
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...ges/-/18-x-18-x-36-inch-aluminum-screen-cage/

If I get this, should I use the following with it. To maintain heat and proper lighting?

- two 5.0 UVB bulbs? this would run on a 12 hour cycle (day time)
- a 75 watt or 100 watt red heat bulb? this would run on a 12 hour cycle (day time)
- a 75 watt blue night glow bulb? this would on the opposite cycle as the day time bulbs?

thank you for your help. I am trying to set up a habitat for a Veiled I am planning to get for my 5 yr old son.

You will only need one (1)5.0 uvb bulb.
The wattage of the heat bulb depends on where you live and the temperature in your house. For young veileds, you want to be in the low 80s in the basking spot. You can use just normal house bulbs for this. MUCH cheaper. you dont need or want the red glow. Just the normal house bulb

As long as your house does not get much below 60 at night, you dont need a heat.
IFFF you NEED a heat bulb to keep the night temps above 60, or maybe even a few degrees cooler. use a heat emitter. They dont put off any light. Those blue reptile bulbs glow to bright. Chams need complete darkness in their enclosures at night.

Are you aware of supplementing?

I live in CT. the average temp in the house is 70, year round. I am also worried about drafts. Do they effect the tank alot?
If the height of the habitat is 36", wouldn't I need light/heat to get to the bottom of the habitat? I am just worried that if I have a lot of leaves, vines, ect the light/heat wont get to the bottom. But, I suppose I would keep an eye on them to see where they spend their time the most. This will tell me about the way they are trying to regulate the body temps, right?

So, I would need a 5.0 bulb, a normal house bulb for heat, and a heat emitter for heat if needed.

what watt of heat emitter would you recommend to start off with?
I have read about supplementing, any suggestions?

the average temp in the house is 70, year round. I am also worried about drafts. Do they effect the tank alot? Moving air is good. You will want to get a digital temp guage so you can watch the temps.
If the height of the habitat is 36", wouldn't I need light/heat to get to the bottom of the habitat? You want to make sure the light is filtered all the way down. If you have too much coverage then your cham will not be able to move around. Take a look at my profile and this will give you a good idea.I am just worried that if I have a lot of leaves, vines, ect the light/heat wont get to the bottom. But, I suppose I would keep an eye on them to see where they spend their time the most. This will tell me about the way they are trying to regulate the body temps, right?You are correct. They will show you their behavior. Monitor him as much as you can. It is fun to watch them.

So, I would need a 5.0 bulb, a normal house bulb for heat, and a heat emitter for heat if needed. you are going to want the 5.0 no matter what. I use two 60w phillips plant lights for heat. This covers me in two ways. I get some good light for my live plants and heat for my guy. Here is a link to my blog which will give you a list of things that you should consider when setting up the general cage. Hope this helps. Let me know if there are any questions. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-panther-chameleon-need-some-suggestions.html

what watt of heat emitter would you recommend to start off with?
I have read about supplementing, any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom