Bee on the menu

Jerdog

Today as I was walking outside to throw away the garbage I saw the bees all over the flowers. So I went inside the house grabbed a container and caught one. So then I placed the container in the freezer for 2 minutes, after that the bee was in sleep mode for about 10 minutes. This gave me time to get tweezers to pull the stinger out. Placing him in the cage it only took seconds to get chomped! Now yes this took a few minutes but was worth giving my boy something a little different. I wouldn't however feed him any without first pulling the stinger.

My panthers would eat wasps and bees when housed outside. Stinger and all. There are cases of chameleons getting stung in the tongue so I wouldnt recommend it. Although I never had any problems something could happen.

I remember seeing it for the first time. My male jetted halfways through his big outside enclosure and snagged this wasp from far away. Huge tongue shot!!! I walked over and was like, WTF???? He just sat there and chewed it up like nothing:D Catching bees and taking the stinger out is a great feeder! If you dont mind catching and taking the time then there is no sense not too!:cool:

how do you guys get your chams so ambitious to eat? My guy and gal are sooo lazy and sometimes run from the food LOL I only feed every other day and probably 3 or 4 nickel sized dubias on the days the do eat and its the same for the crickets...

I wish I wasn't so terrified of bees. This sounds like a good snack.
My Karm doesn't bother with them. It's like she knows better. haha.

I did hear a story of someone on here losing a Cham to a bee sting, so I wouldn't try feeding one without first yanking that stinger. I am terrified as well, when I was 6 years old I was trying to figure out why my dog wasn't going into his dog house. So I poked my head in there only to find a bee hive! I was stung about 20 times in the face. 27 years later I still remember that! On a positive note the bee today had some fresh pollen on him. Guess that should add some nutrition !

i usually grasp with tweezers and DO NOT yank out the stinger as the bee will not last very long. I wait for the bees to start trying to sting and damage the stinger as close to the base as i can so that it will not be able to sting but will still fly and stimulate my chams :)

this way you can knock out a couple in a row and have them last for days

i have often wondered if the venom would cause a problem.

That sounds good, I had a very hard time geting that stinger though. Putting him in the freezer really stunned him. Once BoB saw him on the screen it was all over! He does have a good apetite. Maybe next year when he's older I try cicada! ( my son named our Cham BoB)!

Back
Top Bottom