Beardie Rescue

Vinny

I recently took in this bearded dragon as a rescue. He/She was left in an abandoned apartment to die. The landlord found him/her and posted a rehome ad on craigslist. I picked him/her up the very next day. I need help determining the sex and age. I am working on fixing up a bigger screen terrarium with better basking and UV lights. I am also fixing uo some basking spots for now. All help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5632.jpg
    IMG_5632.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_5633.jpg
    IMG_5633.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_5634.jpg
    IMG_5634.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_5636.jpg
    IMG_5636.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 264
hmmm hard to say on the gender, i don't notice any black beard sooo if you check the tail...... there will be either a bum and a dent for a female and a ... awh forget it ...

*DARCI!*

explain..

it looks like your basic variety beardie...

My Larry

My first Beardie was also a rescue. Mine came in a 10 gallon tank (keep in mind this is a full grown male.) He could barely turn around and had no UVB. His tail is permanently kinked from the small cage but he is such a sweet heart. I've had him for a year now, and had him checked by a vet for parasites and MBD. Its pretty easy to assume that a person who could leave the animal behind probably could not take great care of it. From the pictures it looks like you have a male. (Cant tell you for sure without seeing him in person.) Bearded Dragons are super sweet animals...its great to hear that you stepped up and rescued him! Good luck!
full

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks young (well under 2 years- probably closer to 1 year). Age is a little tricky- they grow at different speeds. Some really fast growers are adults by 6 months, the opposite really slow growers can take 2 years.

To sex- check the base of the tail below the vent (on the tail side of the vent, not the body side). If he's got a couple of noticeable lumps there he's a male. If not, by this size, he's a she.

Checking for the hemi-penile bulges is the only certain way. Females at times may have large heads or black beards, and I've even had females who bob and dominate other males or other females outside of breeding season.

Back
Top Bottom