Bean weevils

cpgrower

I've been raising bean weevils to feed the baby chams and several other reptiles that I keep. However, when they emerge from the beans, they all come out at the same time. I would like to have a steady supply of weevils, not periodic explosions.
Has anyone tried to slow down their development in the fridge? Would it work, or would the eggs and worms die? Thanks.

I have never heard of bean weevils being used as a chameleon feeder. I think your best off with a trial and error experiment :D.

I have no idea what bean weevils are.. so, what kind of beans do they come from?

Bean weevils are very common in Europe (my part of the world). They feed and breed on black eyed peas (dry). Very easy to culture and a good source of food for small and baby reptiles. All you need is a container and a pound of black eyed peas to start with. They explode within a few weeks. Lİterally thousands ! They don't fly but they can climb anywhere.
I found a link that explains more about them. Also you can try Wikipedia.

http://www.livefoodshop.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=68754&mode=linear

I assume you're keeping dart frogs as well? You might want to post this question at www.dendroboard.com where they use bean weevils more commonly than chameleon keepers do.

I'm still trying to find some myself, they're not so common in Canada, so I'm sorry I can't be of more use.

If I were you, I would offer them up for sale, or give extras to a fellow herper who could use them for their dart frogs or small lizards.

I assume you're keeping dart frogs as well? You might want to post this question at www.dendroboard.com where they use bean weevils more commonly than chameleon keepers do.

I'm still trying to find some myself, they're not so common in Canada, so I'm sorry I can't be of more use.

If I were you, I would offer them up for sale, or give extras to a fellow herper who could use them for their dart frogs or small lizards.

Thanks...Yes, I originally acquired them for dart frogs but now use them exclusively for my Lygodactylus williamsii and juvi chameleons and leopard geckos.
I can trade them with other live food if anyone is interested. Just PM me...

Back
Top Bottom