Back leg Weakness in Brev from CIPRO?

spadefish

Guys,

I hae an approximately 18 month old bearded pygmy female named Lucy. Up until a few weeks ago, she ws doing just great, no issues. Then, near the end of March/eginning of April, she developed an abscess on her neck. Took to vet, drained the abscess, put on antibiotics. Initially got better after 10 day treatment, but abscess came back. Back to vet last Tuesday, drained it again. Prescribed cipro this time. She has had for doses, the last tonight. Was essentially back to normal, no more abscess, eating (I had supplemented with baby food per vet every other day for about a week because her mouth was sore).

this afternoon, I saw her in the enclosure kinda hanging off a vine. I thought she was pulling herself up. I took her out and gave her her meds. A couple of hours later, I saw her kind of listing. Then, when I just checked on her, she was kind f drooping off the vine, holding on with her front legs.

This is not MBD unless it just started today. She has no signs od MBD other than rear leg weakness. Her actual grip is quite strong in all four feet. Her ack legs do not seem to want to support her weight which is a whopping 5 grams.

I don't think this is constipation. she has been going ok, urates look good and no swelling. I've had her for over a year and she has been fine and all of my other chams are fine.

She is going back to vet tomorrow for sure. But, what I want to know is if any of you haveany experience with ciprofloxacin in chams and if that experience includes the same kinds of tendon and muscle issues that can occur in people (e.g., rupture of tendons and muscle damage). She seems to pull herself along jst fine on her front legs. She sems neurolgically intact head to toe.

What do you know? thanks Terry

Last edited:
Update

Well, after rallying a bit mid-day, Lucy died late this afternoon. In case it was constipation, she got baby prunes and water via syringe and warm soaks. She really perked up quite a bit. New vet (regular unavailable) gave her a stool softener and she was dead within two hours. Probably not related. In the end, I think she must have fallen and injured her pelvis. No evidence of MBD. Just not a good day today.

Sorry for your loss

I am a bit surprised about the Cipro? That is rough on humans. IMO , that is the cause of most of the problems. Its a broad spectrum and a bit aggressive. A culture and a sensitivity test would have been much better. Has this vet ever treated a chameleon ? or a brev? Was the first antibiotic baytril?

Just what is the dosage of Ciprofloxacin for a reptile so small? If you don't mind me asking.

Cipro & Reptile Vets

I honestly don't think at this point it was the Cipro unless there was some underlying renal issue and this pushed her over the edge. I think it was perhaps a trauma, a fall, because the leg weakness did work out to be bilateral. She could move them and bear weight, but it was clear that she preferred not to. The sudden onset points to trauma as well.

As for the Cipro dose, it was 2.5 mg, 0.02 ml every other day, and even that was diluted. I think the first vet is an experienced reptile vet. The second one I saw yesterday was a dingbat. When they say "gee, I've never seen this kid of chameleon before" run away. You cannot imagine how many vets I have come across that don't even know pygmys exist, let alone have seen one. If you day you treat chams and you aren't aware of the most commonly kept pygymy species, what does that say about you?

If anyone in SE Pennsylvania has a good reptile vet, I would love the name and number. Otherwise, I am going to do what I did when I was a kid -- take care of them myself and ask my mammal vet for abx when I need them. I once kept a Florida watersnake alive for years when she "stopped" eating live food. I just moved thawed frozen fish around in front of her once a week and she ate it. Vet said she would die if I didn't tube feed her.

Very interesting thats for sure. You did a great job, and again I am sorry got your loss. Hopefully someone will come up with a vet for you. I treat a lot myself and only go to the vet if I am stumped or need meds. Especially with our pygmys but we have been pretty lucky with them. The one that have passed went quickly so we didn't have much time to treat them.

Thanks for sharing the info!

Having a great vet is invaluable. I had one that was awesome yrs ago. Unfortunately mine moved to San Antonio to become the head vet at the San Antonio zoo. He was also a cham breeder. So if anyone knows of a great vet in Houston pm me their info. Sorry to thread jack bro.

Back
Top Bottom