Baby Panther Vomiting & Not Eating

UrbanChameleon

Ok. Please bare with me people. This is serious and I know this post is long. Please read this carefully and give me advice to the best of your ability. I'd made a previous thread as things unfolded. As new things have progressed, I feel as if I should make a more "clear" and updated thread.

- I will be taking him to the vet ASAP if things do not get any better by the time the vet is open. So please do not urge me to go. I am waiting for the vets office to open.

I purchased a 3.5 month old Ambilobe Panther male one week and two days ago. The first two days after he was shipped, he seemed to eat well. The first day he ate maybe 6, the second 10-15 crickets. He also had silkies (until I ran out). After that day everything started going downhill. His appetite started decreasing, which is odd because he was supposed to be settling in. As of two days ago he stopped eating. I tried free range and cup fed crickets. Supplemented and non-supplemented crickets. He refused to eat.

The same thing happened yesterday. However, in a turn of events, he vomited. The vomit was clear mucus on the outside (stomach fluid) with brown digested something in it. It was clear that his stomach had broken whatever it was down. He hadn't ate that day, so it was food from the day before. When he vomited he moved back and forth sporadically. It scared me to death. He fired up red and blue, all while holding his mouth open. He then proceeded to regurgitate. He seemed to feel better afterwords. His colors lightened up and he moved around more. He did seem a bit disoriented. He was trying to climb but looked weak. He then went to bed, and looked fine while sleeping.

Today he still hasn't had anything to eat.. again. I've been watching him closely since all of this started occurring. Today I took out his live plant (thinking this could have been the cause). I also moved his basking light, checked temps, and humidity. As a side note.. he has spent the past few days on top of his cage hanging upside down straight under the basking light. I raised the fixture off of the screen a little so he could not burn himself. I really didn't want to disturb him, but he wouldn't eat today.I tried to make sure he wasn't too hot/cold and remove the plant in case that was the problem.

Around 6 PM today I went to hand mist him as to keep him hydrated. He immediately started drinking. He drank quite a lot too. As he was drinking, he opened his mouth (like when he went to vomit) and held it open for a minute. I was completely freaking out thinking he was going to aspirate. I'd recently read a post from another member that had this happen. So I backed away a little while watching him. He eventually closed his mouth and started turning darker. I moved closer to make sure he was breathing. At first I couldn't tell, but then I saw him stomach moving in and out slowly.

As the rest of the day went on, he chilled out on two fake plants. I can now see that he has a wrinkle on the top of his body. I'm assuming it's because he hasn't ate in three days. He is a baby.. so he should be eating 15 crickets a day at the least. His eyes don't look huge but he looks hydrated. His poop has been fine the past few days and the urate has been white. He seems to not have energy. He is moving throughout his cage but he seems a little disoriented. He tries to grab onto the wall of his cage or just kind of scratches. Today it seemed like he just gave up on climbing at one point.

I'm extremely worried. I've never had a Cham not eat or regurgitate. I have been in contact with the breeder every day. He doesn't have an RI, positive he has no parasites, and we can't think of any possible reason. The crickets are the right size. And he is a pretty slow eater. There was one time that I saw him get two crickets at once, but he continued eating after that. I saw him drink off of his Umbrella Plant. Which apparently the sap or eating of the leaves can cause vomiting. Which is why I took it out. His care is no different than my first Chameleon's, other than Loki has a linear UVB, whereas Bodhi had a CFL. This all came about the day after I got him. And he seemed fine and ate when I picked him up from shipping. Something is not right and I can't pinpoint it. He had no signs of illness other than not eating, and then regurgitating last night, and now holding his mouth open after drinking today. Even when I knew something was wrong, he was ok. Now the effects of not eating are making him weak.

I was hoping something would change for the better today. I will have to contact a vet on Monday if things aren't better. They only see herps twice a week so it will probably be Tues. or Thurs. before he gets in there. There has to be something I can do. I've had someone mention giving him one of those Aids to help him eat. However, there is a possibility that his problem could be something stuck in his throat. I don't want to give him something to help him eat if that could be the case.

My thought now is that he could have some kind of stomach bacteria. You would think that if he had a bad feeder, or something went down wrong, that he would be okay after throwing up. I really need some member insight until I can get him into the vet. I just got him a week ago and I feel like I'm going to fall apart. If anyone has gone through something similar to this, or you have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want this to get worse.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 3.5 months old male Ambilobe Panther Chameleon. He has been in my care for 1 week and 2 days.
Handling - He has only been handled twice. Once to remove him after shipping, and once when he climbed on my arm.
Feeding - He has only had crickets and silk worms. The crickets are gutloaded with Cricket Crack.
Supplements - He had Repashy Calcium Plus for only two days. The breeder had him on a different schedule. I was sent Vit A to give him once a month but had not yet given it to him.
Watering - I have an Exo Terra Monsoon (blah) in his cage. I also hand mist daily to make sure he drank. He isn't shy when it comes to drinking.
Fecal Description - His poop is firm and held together. Urate is completely white. As far as I know he hasn't been tested for parasites. He was kept in a completely hygienic and secure environment previous to my ownership.
History - No history.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - He is currently housed in a 18x18x24 Exo Terra. I have made efforts to ensure the best airflow. He will live in this until he is a juvie and will be moved into his adult screen cage from LLL. This was my other Chameleon's baby cage. It was properly and thoroughly cleaned before Loki was housed.
Lighting - I have a 25 watt Exo Terra bulb and a 5.0 Linear from Exo Terra.
Temperature - The basking temp is at 86.7 right now. On the top of the screen it gets to about 90. Mid level is around the high 70's and towards the bottom it's about 73-74.
Humidity - His humidity fluctuates from 60%-80%. I will probably have to up it a little because I removed his living plant. Which sucks because his cage doesn't dry out well. I have been wiping water off of the bottom. It has a lot of foliage which makes it difficult for the light to dry it out. Especially since I moved the light today.
Plants - I was using an Umbrella. It has been removed as of today.
Placement - His cage is almost touching my ceiling. It is very high off of the ground. It is close to my door but the only traffic is me and I don't go in and out often.
Location - Ashland, KY

Current Problem - Loki ate a little for two days after he arrived. Appetite slowly decreased. He then stopped eating all together 3 days ago. Yesterday he vomited when he saw crickets. Today he still hasn't ate, and held his mouth open for a minute after drinking. In every other way he looks healthy and was showing signs of health. After all of this he is becoming weak. I'm not sure why this happened, nor how to get him better. I want him to eat, but I'm afraid that he might have something caught in his throat. He doesn't seem to be struggling to breathe. But after today's water incident I'm even more worried.

Sounds like you are doing everything you should be. When a cham is dehydrated or loses fluids (puking) they will drink quite a bit. this is where you want to be careful and do it in sessions. NEVER spraying or forcing more fluids while he is drinking into his mouth. Its best to let him drink for a few minutes then stop for a few minutes and repeat.

My honest thoughts while reading this was that he either has parasites, poison or he has a defect. I know the breeder states they were super clean and such but something are out of our control. A bad batch of crickets or feeders could have been given. Was any wild caught insects given that could have had insect poison on them (from you or the breeder).? Was he ever housed outside at any given point?

Those are just my thoughts. Good luck with your cham i know how stressful this can be.

You said..."When he vomited he moved back and forth sporadically"...was he shaking his head from side to side with his mouth open?

You said..."He is moving throughout his cage but he seems a little disoriented"...did you wash any plants (both sides of the leaves) fake or real well before you put them in the cage? Did you feed him any WC insects?

Has he been sleeping more since it happened? Less active?

i would say get a poop from his cage take it for a fecal test at the very least and make an appointment for as soon as you can thats just my opinion i dont like to play with tsuff like that in new chams . hope i helped i know it aint much but ataraxia gave good info so i will follow with this hope he gets better . i know how you feel and the only way to put it to rest is a vet trip imo.sorry to hear about your little one

Which Umbrella plant did you have? Its possible he ate some, causing the vomiting and the loss of appetite due to irritation of the stomach and mouth depending on the type of umbrella plant you had in there.
Did you see any bites out of the leaves of the plant?

Sounds like you are doing everything you should be. When a cham is dehydrated or loses fluids (puking) they will drink quite a bit. this is where you want to be careful and do it in sessions. NEVER spraying or forcing more fluids while he is drinking into his mouth. Its best to let him drink for a few minutes then stop for a few minutes and repeat.

My honest thoughts while reading this was that he either has parasites, poison or he has a defect. I know the breeder states they were super clean and such but something are out of our control. A bad batch of crickets or feeders could have been given. Was any wild caught insects given that could have had insect poison on them (from you or the breeder).? Was he ever housed outside at any given point?

Those are just my thoughts. Good luck with your cham i know how stressful this can be.

My guess is a bad batch of crickets of insects or something. I'm calling the vet tomorrow and doing whatever I can to get him Baytril.. NOW. It is really not good for a young Chameleon to not eat for three days. I'm really worked up right now. I'm a broke college student. I usually have money held back for things like this. But I just spent every dime I had this month on him. I was not expecting him to be ill like this just days after I got him.

There was nothing myself or the breeder could do. I think that sometimes things just happen that are out of our control. I seriously haven't ate since the last time Loki did. I myself am feeling incredibly sick. I'm worrying myself to death. I'd been trying to stay positive but after today I just can't.

I know that the vet costs $56 + a fee for being new. On top of that will be an emergency vet visit fee if I take him in tomorrow or Monday. Plus anti-biotics. And they don't do payment plans. It's cash upfront. The only money I have is the $150 in my wallet. And that was barely going to get me through the week. I will do anything to get him better, but it seems like everything just has to fall apart. I tried so hard and long to get him, and now that I have him, I'm in the worst scenario I could think of.

Loki has got to eat! That is my main priority for him. If he doesn't, I'm going to be paying a butt load more to get him in a day early. It's worth it though. I just paid a good chunk of money for him, so I would just be throwing that down the drain as opposed to a $150 + $100 extra for the vet. I'm at a loss. And because nobody I know owns a Chameleon, they don't understand the urgency and stress that comes with this. Seriously, if Loki dies, I will most likely never do this again. I can't handle being this upset.

Here are a few pics of him the day I got him.. last week.
photo-128.jpg

photo-124-1-1.jpg

loki2.jpg

This is from last night. The only thing that stresses him out is my phone. He's such a sweet boy. He could care less if I'm right there, but my phone is another story. So since he has been sick.. I've only snapped pics while he is asleep.

photo-137.jpg

He looks like a perfectly healthy young Panther Chameleon. But looks can be deceiving.

You said..."When he vomited he moved back and forth sporadically"...was he shaking his head from side to side with his mouth open?

You said..."He is moving throughout his cage but he seems a little disoriented"...did you wash any plants (both sides of the leaves) fake or real well before you put them in the cage? Did you feed him any WC insects?

Has he been sleeping more since it happened? Less active?

Yes he was moving back and forth, while hanging onto his mister with his back legs. He opened his mouth and held it like that. He was fired up and after moving around with his mouth open he vomited.

He has not been fed any WC insects. His plant was washed.. God knows if I could have missed something. Everything was cleaned. And he hasn't slept during the day at all. He starts to wind down at 8 and lights out at 9. Because this all started pretty much right when I got him, I can't really say if he's less active. He still goes about through his cage, but I would say less active to a degree. He has for sure been darker since all of this started.

Which Umbrella plant did you have? Its possible he ate some, causing the vomiting and the loss of appetite due to irritation of the stomach and mouth depending on the type of umbrella plant you had in there.
Did you see any bites out of the leaves of the plant?

The plant is the Schefflera arboricola. I use the same type of plant in my other Cham's inclosure, along with a Ficus. Just to throw this out there.. I bought the Schefflera from Lowes which "claims" to not use any type of pesticides. Loki seriously licks everything in his cage, unlike my other Chameleon whom I rarely see drink. It could be a number of things regarding him possibly ingesting something. My concern is what if he did eat/drink something poisonous? Baytril won't do something like that justice will it?

Hes counting on you to be at your best. I know you are stressed out to the max but you have to take care of yourself first to be able to take care of him. If your not at your best you cant give him your best...

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear of your baby's problems!
I agree - the umbrella plant sounds like the culprit here. Definitely be careful in re-hydrating him - Go easy.
I'm glad to hear he has white urate! That is definitely a good sign. So Sad that he isn't eating. I love our babies so I hate to hear of any babies having problems!

If it is poison he will need something to flush his system or something to counter the poison. If the poison can be identified. Lots of water is good. Baytril is not really something you want to just give him. If he does indeed have poison in his system. That will be hard on the organs(kidneys) and so is baytril. I dont the combination would be a good choice.

Another thing could be that i missed earlier is maybe he is impacted? I see in the pic he has some fake plants..Notice any of them missing? Does he have substrate?

Last edited:
Fact of the matter is Lowes probably doesn't know what the greenhouse uses for pesticides or fertilizer. If the plant is brand new from Lowes to your enclosure it will still have fertilizer on and in the leaves which can be the cause of this. If this is the case, he vomited and that is good because he got it out of his system. Just use fake plants for now till he recovers as his stomach is going to be irritated.

He could like you said have caught something from a feeder. It's not like he's on his last limb I bet he will recover from this. Also if he hasn't vomited since the first time he is getting better. He would still be vomiting if he wasn't.

Thank you all very very very much. I'm trying to pull myself back together.

He doesn't have any substrate in his cage, and I haven't found anything at all missing from his fake or live plants. I'm going to inspect further tomorrow. I have seen him drink off of his Umbrella. I know that for a fact. Impaction was also one of the possibilities. Honestly, it's kind of a shot in the dark. There are so many things that could have caused this. And with him pooping fine, and after throwing up, you would think impaction would be ruled out to an extent. I won't know for sure about that until the vet.

It worries for me to even have him drink on his own after today. I had the water dripping onto his plant and he was drinking fast. That's when he seemed like he had a hard time keeping it down. After the horror stories I read on here, I'm too paranoid to manually give him water.

I know force feeding is usually a last stitch effort. I'd really like for him to get something down though. The fact that he hasn't ate is making it ten times worse. Would this be a bad idea or what? Depending on when I can get in the vet, this might have to be an option. It's one thing for an adult to go a day or two without food. But a baby for 3-4 maybe 5 days? No way. But I don't want to do him more harm than good.

Again.. Thank you all for your help and kind words. Just knowing that you all are helping me figure this out makes me feel much better.

Fact of the matter is Lowes probably doesn't know what the greenhouse uses for pesticides or fertilizer. If the plant is brand new from Lowes to your enclosure it will still have fertilizer on and in the leaves which can be the cause of this. If this is the case, he vomited and that is good because he got it out of his system. Just use fake plants for now till he recovers as his stomach is going to be irritated.

He could like you said have caught something from a feeder. It's not like he's on his last limb I bet he will recover from this. Also if he hasn't vomited since the first time he is getting better. He would still be vomiting if he wasn't.

You are absolutely right. Thank you so much. What should I ask the vet to do for him? I don't think this lady has too much experience with Chams in particular. Are there any specific tests she should run so we could rule poisoning in or out? Like the poster before you said, I don't want to give him any antibiotics if this is the case. Luckily Baytril will pretty much take care of the majority of possibilities. However, in this case it will do more harm than good. So any specific tests and if it is the case, what do you think a vet would do? Would I just need to give him plenty of fluids and flush it out, or would there be a medication to help flush his body?

Today he still hasn't ate, and held his mouth open for a minute after drinking. In every other way he looks healthy and was showing signs of health. After all of this he is becoming weak.

What do you mean by he is becoming weak? You haven't mentioned any falling or weakness in his limbs. What is making you think he's becoming weak?

dr. o-

I don't know how a Vet would test for poison. Probably the best thing they could do is test for bacteria and rule that out as on option. And again I don't know how they do that, Probably with a fecal sample. Maybe some one more experienced can shed a light on this.

I don't know how a Vet would test for poison. Probably the best thing they could do is test for bacteria and rule that out as on option. And again I don't know how they do that, Probably with a fecal sample. Maybe some one more experienced can shed a light on this.

There is NO "CSI" in veterinary medicine, absolutely nowhere to send bloodwork off that will test for the literally thousand of toxins that are searched for in cases of human homicide or untimely death. And if there was, it usually takes 1 to 2 months to even get the results back. But if bloodwork and exam reveals liver/kidney/GI/cardiac muscle/neurologic damage/etc. and there is suspicion of a toxin exposure that causes these types of bodily harm, we can put 2 and 2 together.

What do you mean by he is becoming weak? You haven't mentioned any falling or weakness in his limbs. What is making you think he's becoming weak?

dr. o-

No he has not fallen. By weak I mean that he seems a little disoriented. Looking around the room and not focusing. But mainly when he is climbing he will continually scratch at the walls trying to climb up them. You know how a Chameleon will just kind of grab what's in front of them without looking? Well he's doing this to the point where he can't really get where he's going. It's almost like he had a beer or two. I'm not talking weak like he can't move, is falling, or worse. But I'm afraid it will get that way, especially if he doesn't eat in the next day or two. He isn't lying on the floor or anything like that.

At one point today he was climbing upward from a plant he was on. He scratched and scratched the walls without seeing a vine right in front of him. He kind of gave up and just stopped trying. At that point he was holding on to his plant with his back legs, but the front of his body just fell. He's definitely not acting normal, but his weakness isn't to the point of no return.

Back
Top Bottom