Baby jacksonii jacksonii closing eyes during the day

jojothefirst

Hi, hope you can help me understand what's going on.

I bought 3 young j.jacksonii in September.
They were in a small exo Terra with a basking spot of low 80s ambient in 70s, sprayed 4 times a day, 5.0 exo Terra UV tube.
Since iv had them all 3 didn't eat much and only fruit flies.
They slept during the evenings alot which concerned me but I put it down to them going to sleep when it was dark out side rather when there lights went out.
1 developed a swollen eye, keep her eye closed all the time then died.
Another recently closed its eyes more and more often over a few days then died.
So I'm left with 1. She is closing her eyes in the evening bit is active in the morning but instead of assuming its closing its eyes because its dark outside I thought I would ask what I'm doing wrong.
I know they were raised in a exo Terra but in case that was the problem iv transferred her to a reptibreeze and instead of misting I'm using a fogger as the only things I can research is possibly a URI so I thought less spray and more airflow.

Really don't want her to die aswell, and really don't understand what I'm doing wrong
I'm keeping 1.3 k.boehmei and 0.1 Ellioti with same lighting misted 4 times a day and they are doing fine so just don't get it :-(

The 3rd female has had her eyes closed most of today now. Would really appreciate a response. I really don't see that I'm doing anything wrong.

Not to be difficult but the more information provided, the more likely good advice can be offered.
With 2 dead and the third now closing her eyes, your best bet would most likely be a vet visit without further delay.
Young is a too vague a term.
Spraying 4x daily is equally non-specific--spray volume, length of time spraying,etc. make a difference--- which is why ambient humidity is requested instead.
Cutting back on water with Jackson's is probably going in the wrong direction humidity-wise--though without knowing the humidity levels before and after spraying.
Please fill out the answers to the questions from the How to ask for help link:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Not to be difficult but the more information provided, the more likely good advice can be offered.
With 2 dead and the third now closing her eyes, your best bet would most likely be a vet visit without further delay.
Young is a too vague a term.
Spraying 4x daily is equally non-specific--spray volume, length of time spraying,etc. make a difference--- which is why ambient humidity is requested instead.
Cutting back on water with Jackson's is probably going in the wrong direction humidity-wise--though without knowing the humidity levels before and after spraying.
Please fill out the answers to the questions from the How to ask for help link:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

I appreciate the help.
Il add more info and if people still want me to fill the form in il do so.
They were being sprayed 4 times a day with a mist king for 40 seconds each time but I now have a reptifogger keeping the humidity in half the cage at 90%+ and basking half at around 60%
They are around 5 months old.

Here are 2 pics taken just now.

IMAG1195.jpg

IMAG1192.jpg

She has died aswell now. :'(

So frustrating, iv put so much effort and commitment into these. Really have no IDE! What iv done wrong.

So sorry to hear about your losses, it must be very tough. The hobby is hard sometimes and very rewarding at others. They are pets with such specific needs. The one good thing out of this is that you have come to the right place to get chameleon information in the future. Dont let it get you too down, and maybe these small chameleons made an imprint on you so you will continue with the hobby in the future.

So sorry to hear about your losses, it must be very tough. The hobby is hard sometimes and very rewarding at others. They are pets with such specific needs. The one good thing out of this is that you have come to the right place to get chameleon information in the future. Dont let it get you too down, and maybe these small chameleons made an imprint on you so you will continue with the hobby in the future.

Thanks for your concern, I still have 1.1 veiled, 1.1
panther, 1.3 k.boehmei and 0.1 Ellioti all doing great so no chance of getting out the hobby any time soon.
Would just love to find out what went wrong with the jacksons as I had done a huge amount of research, and spent a lot of time and effort with them. And as far as I am aware, done everything right so I just don't get it.
When 1 died I just thought it was bad luck, but all 3 dining suggests something went seriously wrong.
Would like someone to try work out what went wrong.
So sorry for your loss. I hate that you had such a hard time.
It's sucks a lot. Thank you.
Such a shame. My male from the same clutch is still going strong.
Glad yours is ok. Hope yours doesn't go the same way mate.

Back
Top Bottom