Baby crickets just hatched

SpartyTessy

I finally did it. The first of the baby crickets just hatched. It took almost 3 weeks. I did much research and have three bins. One for the adults. One for the dirt containers with eggs, And one for the medium crickets when they get big enough. I nearly gave up today and went to get more crickets. When I came home I saw the some tiny crickets emerging out of the first thing of dirt I had in the adult cricket cage three weeks ago. I nearly gave up because everywhere I read said they should hatch within 7-10 days.

I think it took longer for then to hatch because the first 2 weeks I didn't use a heating pad which is recommended because I leave them outside here in Hawaii. So it is important to get the heating pad to keep the egg bin between 85 - 90 degrees. I am glad I did not give up and throw out the dirt like I was going to do. So just make sure you have the heating pad under the egg bin and have some patience and you will be good to go. Now I can get my cricket cycle going and don't have to worry about purchasing more. Yay

I finally did it. The first of the baby crickets just hatched. It took almost 3 weeks. I did much research and have three bins. One for the adults. One for the dirt and. We born crickets. And one for the medium crickets when they get big enough. I nearly have up today and went to get more crickets. When I came home I saw the some tiny crickets emerging out of the first thing of dirt I had in the adult cricket cage three weeks ago. I nearly gave up because everywhere I read said they should hatch within 7-10 days.

I think it took longer for then to hatch because the first 2 weeks I didn't use a heating pad which is recommended because I leave them outside here in Hawaii. So it is important to get the heating pad to keep the egg bin between 85 - 90 degrees. I am glad I did not give up and throw out the dirt like I was going to do. So just make sure you have the heating pad under the egg bin and have some patience and you will be good to go. Now I can get my cricket cycle going and don't have to worry about purchasing more. Yay

Haha I'm excited too. Some of my female dubias are about to give birth for the first time. Is breeding cricks hard? I want to start breeding my main feeders to cut cost of food so I can soon get another cham. :D

yess this is awesome please keep posting ive been debating on whether to start a dubia or cricket colony to cut back feeding costs as well :D

Congrats on your Dubai colony. Being here in Hawaii I cannot get dubias or else I would breed them also. It is not hard to breed crickets. I went by someone's blog on this site. I will try and find the link. He did a great write up on the specifics on how to do it.

yess this is awesome please keep posting ive been debating on whether to start a dubia or cricket colony to cut back feeding costs as well :D

Oh well in that case...

Dubias!!

Dubias are the easiest to breed (they're roaches, lol), have no odor whatsoever, and only need to have their cage cleaned once every 3-4 months. The babies will actually eat the feces and molts, so that helps a little. They are very expensive though, so make sure you get them from a person who sells for a very good price (I'll PM you ;)).

Congrats on your Dubai colony. Being here in Hawaii I cannot get dubias or else I would breed them also. It is not hard to breed crickets. I went by someone's blog on this site. I will try and find the link. He did a great write up on the specifics on how to do it.

Nice! I'm even thinking about superworms but I wonder if it's even worth the trouble... you gotta isolate them for them to pupate, takes a few weeks for them to hatch, put the beetles in a separate container, wait for them to lay eggs, them take 'em out 'cause they will eat the babies... So I dunno. LOL

My first baby crickets hatched yesterday! I was very excited. My eggs took 8 days, I used a house bulb and misted few times a day:D

My first baby crickets hatched yesterday! I was very excited. My eggs took 8 days, I used a house bulb and misted few times a day:D

Very nice. Congrats. Do you use a heating pad underneath? What temp did you have the enclosure at?

No, I used only the bulb. I thought it was the cheaper way then buing a heating pad. The temperature was somewhere between 86-91. :)

I'm so impressed that you had crickets! I had some by accident, in my gecko vivarium, I only cleaned it out a few days previously, but didn't remove the back board or re-pot the plants. Found two gecko eggs in the plants, but obviously didn't notice any other eggs... then a couple of days ago I was horrified to see fruit flies congregating in there, only to realise they were baby crickets! Ah well, they won't last long with two hungry cresties stomping about!

I finally did it. The first of the baby crickets just hatched. It took almost 3 weeks. I did much research and have three bins. One for the adults. One for the dirt containers with eggs, And one for the medium crickets when they get big enough. I nearly gave up today and went to get more crickets. When I came home I saw the some tiny crickets emerging out of the first thing of dirt I had in the adult cricket cage three weeks ago. I nearly gave up because everywhere I read said they should hatch within 7-10 days.

Aloha, I do not use heat pad as well. Thought you might wanna try my method.
After failed twice, I've developed a method for providing heats by blow drying (hair blow dryer) inside the container after mist soil and before I covering up the enclosure, which speed up the process from 15 days to only 10 days of hatching time :). try it on you next batch.

I had eggs from black and brown crickets. I've noticed black ones started hatching after 8 days. Then, I stopped using house bulb, moved them to a plastic cointainer and after two days the brown cricket started to hatch. Some are still hatching. Thought I would share ;)

Aloha, I do not use heat pad as well. Thought you might wanna try my method.
After failed twice, I've developed a method for providing heats by blow drying (hair blow dryer) inside the container after mist soil and before I covering up the enclosure, which speed up the process from 15 days to only 10 days of hatching time :). try it on you next batch.

Nice I might have to try that. Thanks for the tip

I had eggs from black and brown crickets. I've noticed black ones started hatching after 8 days. Then, I stopped using house bulb, moved them to a plastic cointainer and after two days the brown cricket started to hatch. Some are still hatching. Thought I would share ;)

Very nice. I noticed that since adding the heat pad some of the eggs that had just been moved to the container after just 4 days started to hatch and are hatching at the same time that some of the other things of dirt have been sitting for 2 weeks or more. The heat pad for sure speeds up the process. Now I have 4 things of dirt in the egg bin all hatching with the newest ones just 4 days from being moved from the adult bin. Heat for sure plays a big role. I not only placed a heat pad under the egg bin container but also under the adult container right under the dirt where they lay the eggs. Another important part is to make sure that the things of dirt never dry completely out because I had one that completely dried out and the eggs never hatched. Now it seems my process is working very well and I now have over 2 thousand tiny crickets and much more coming.

Very nice. I noticed that since adding the heat pad some of the eggs that had just been moved to the container after just 4 days started to hatch and are hatching at the same time that some of the other things of dirt have been sitting for 2 weeks or more. The heat pad for sure speeds up the process. Now I have 4 things of dirt in the egg bin all hatching with the newest ones just 4 days from being moved from the adult bin. Heat for sure plays a big role. I not only placed a heat pad under the egg bin container but also under the adult container right under the dirt where they lay the eggs. Another important part is to make sure that the things of dirt never dry completely out because I had one that completely dried out and the eggs never hatched. Now it seems my process is working very well and I now have over 2 thousand tiny crickets and much more coming.
Wow that's a lot of small crix! In four days? Hm.. maybe I will thy the heating pad after all ;) I misted my eggs like 4-7 times a day, since it was very hot... ;)

Wow that's a lot of small crix! In four days? Hm.. maybe I will thy the heating pad after all ;) I misted my eggs like 4-7 times a day, since it was very hot... ;)

Yes I now have quite a few "Ziploc" plastic sandwich containers in the egg bin full of eggs or now hatching/hatched eggs. I had 200 adults in the adult bin laying eggs and was changing out the Ziploc plastic container in the adult bin every 2 or 3 days so there was quite a bit of eggs in each one.

Back
Top Bottom