Auto Mist AND hot water?

Mesnik

I read here many times that our chams like hot water sprays...

How are you doing an auto mist WITH hot water?

Thanks!!
Roberto

I don't do it, but those I've seen run a tap from their hot water line by the facet or washing machine over to the cage.

Until I set up a really big cage I'm just going to keep my pond pump and 5 gallon bucket.

You can get an aquarium heater, which I need to get soon. I had one but it exploded in the bucket the first day I got it. But it will work.

I use a fish tank heater but I have it set so the water doesn't get too cold trather than to keep it hot. I keep mine at 80 degree's.

I would like to tap it to a water pipe so I don't have to keep filling up the bucket (and not leave standing water, which is not the best either...). I have a system like that to my fish tank, but it is 180 gal and a bit of cold water will not hurt.

But if I did the same for the cham, in winter here in Michigan the water comes out at almost freezing temps!!!

I saw at Home Depot/Lowes an electric little water heater... I wonder how that would work?

So, some of you are misting with regular room temp water out of a bucket... If I go that route, I will add the fish tank heater, and a small power head to keep water circulating. Not a bad idea.

Thanks!

I think it all depends on what nozzles you are using with your mister system. The nozzles contriol the spary and the size of the water drops. I don't really think temperature matters because once the water leaves the nozzle, for fine sprayers, the water automatically becomes the same temp as the air in the cage.

Where in Michigan are you?

I think it all depends on what nozzles you are using with your mister system. The nozzles control the spray and the size of the water drops. I don't really think temperature matters because once the water leaves the nozzle, for fine sprayers, the water automatically becomes the same temp as the air in the cage...
Howdy,

Yep, I agree that the nozzles have a lot to do with the water temp as it arrives at the chameleon' skin. I use the cream colored nozzles (color coded for volume and dispersal angle) because I have found that when run at pressure regulated 30psi, they produce a larger droplet size that carries more of the heated water's energy to the chameleon's skin. I use a Hydor 300W inline water heater to preheat the water as it leaves the storage tank. I also use some homemade inline heaters that continue to heat the water just as it arrives at the nozzles. I'm still looking for a "cleaner" heating solution. My combo heat method is not as simple as it should be for universal acceptance :eek:. I do find that my chameleons seem to actively seek-out the warmed water and will take a full-body shower while drinking during the 2x 20 minute daily sessions.
PantherDrinking3.jpg

Dave,

What mist system are you using when you refer to the "cream" color code?

Thanks!!

Roberto.

Ya I saw that link but they don't look they'd fit on a quick connect assembly like my pro mist 50 came with....I could be wrong

Howdy,

Somehow I missed the mist :)rolleyes:) follow-up. As was mentioned, Cloudtops sells the cream colored ones as well as the rest of the color line-up. (By the way, if you don't regulate the pressure down a bit [30-40psi], you may end-up using a lot of water per session than necessary...) I like the articulated nozzle assemblies from www.mistking.com and they work great with quick-connect setups. We don't need his anti-drip nozzles and the red nozzles aren't my favorites. I'd toss an email to Marty at MistKing to see if he will be carrying a wider selection of nozzles for purchase. Remind him that we'd like to recommend him as a one-stop mist location if he had more of these accessories for us chameleon keepers :).

...how do you know how many PSI your pushing out exactly or is it just a guess when looking at it? I'm guessing you use a valve like this? I have a PM 50, I think they push out way over 100psi...

http://www.mistking.com/Manual-Ball-Valve-with-3-8-ports-p-16172.html
Howdy,

Well, you'd think that a simple valve could be used to reduce the flow and thus reduce the pressure but it turns out that since the actual volume of water is so low per nozzle that you'll actually need a real pressure regulator. If you try to use just a valve, even a really fine needle valve, it's really difficult to get it to keep the pressure where you want it. A slight change in the volume makes a big difference in the pressure...

Here's the pressure regulator that I found by searching on that subject. It works very well and was only $28 at my local commercial plumbing supply house.
Manufacturer's info: http://www.watts.com/pdf/ES-P50_P60.pdf
I got the P60 with the "B" spring but if I had to do it again, I'd get the P50 with the "C" spring which will operate with more volume if you need to run more than 5 or 6 nozzles (multiple enclosures...) Mine works great with 3 nozzles and ok with 5 but starts to be sensitive to the overall volume flow.

Last edited:
we'd like to recommend him as a one-stop mist location if he had more of these accessories for us chameleon keepers :).

Actually, I was kind of hoping for that position. :)

Speaking of...I just so happen to have the Black, White, Red, and Cream nozzles in stock in both the regular and non-drip versions. I will have the rest of the colors in my next order.

Hey guys,
Interesting thread!!!
Not wanting to hijack the thread Mesnik, but I have a question too, i'm a tad confused!
So Dave, we all are familiar with the pro-mist PM60 deal with the PM-MNH nozzles (i have this set up with 2 nozzles), do I need to reduce the pressure, OR, is this setup sufficient for my cham, ie fine enough spray etc. I live in a warmer climate than you guys, although my boy dosn't like his misting seesion too much.
I have 3 sessions per day 2 x 10 mins (morning/night)and 1x5 mins (early arvo), is this suffficient, I noticed that you have 2 x 20mins. My veiled is approaching 5 months old?
Thanks in advance!
Scott....

Hey Scotty! Good question!!

I didn't think it needed to take that long!! 10 or 20 minutes of rain will flood the entire house!!

And on another question, what is that the non-drip will do for us? Keep the line loaded?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom