Are T4 bulbs safe for chameleons?

Monkeykungphu

Currently I'm using a RepSun 18" 5.0 bulb & a 40 watt basking light over a cage that's 36" tall, 30" wide & 18" deep. I'll eventually get a 36" double fixture with a 5.0 & a 6500K flouro for plant growth help & extra light.

It may be a couple of months before I get the double fixture. The 18" 5.0 I have now is brand new. My questions is, does anyone know if T4 bulbs are safe to use until I get the 36" 6500k T8? They don't put off anymore heat than any other flouro, they just seem brighter. I've got a few 10" T4 fixtures & bulbs from some cabinets we rearranged. Tip tied them to a little piece of wood, added some reflectors & made a bright little fixture out of them. It's on the right in the first picture.

The reason I ask this is because I've read all of those horror stories about the dreaded CFLs blinding & killing peoples poor chameleons... so, figure I'd rather be safe than sorry. I haven't heard anything about T4's so far. You never know... I would have done a search on T4 bulbs, however T4 is too short to register. Not sure if there's been a post on this topic or not.

Also, if anyone has any comments or advice about my enclosure, please speak up. I know the cage is a little large for a 3.5 month old, but he seems to be enjoying it & finding his food just fine. For the most part, the crickets crawl to the top of the screen & he just picks them off. I need to teach him to cup feed so that I can start getting him to eat dubias. I'm finally having baby's popping out every day now! :D

My basking spot is 84 deg, should I raise the 40 watt? I could hang it & raise it a little? At the moment its supported by two metal rods lying across the top of the cage.

(please ignore the bundle of wires, wire nuts & zip ties in the background, it's been since cleaned up. Also, it's on the other side of he screen & the baby is not hanging on it in the picture, lol)

from what I understand any other flourescent tubes are ok to use as they are not actually letting off any UV which is what the problems were with the cfls (letting off too much and burning eyes) this is just what I have been led to understand anyways, im no pro. your cage looks good, maybe some more vines to climb on would be good (i couldnt see any but im also on my phone and the pic was pretty small lol)

Back
Top Bottom