Anyone keep Japalura splendida (Japalura tree dragon, Banana Split Mountain Lizard)?

Cainschams

Would like to know if there are any good reads for them. From what I have collected there isnt much info on them besides the very basics which vary of course. From what I have read they are very similar to some species of chameleons husbandry wise. Same lights, arboreal lizards that drink from leaves, high humidity etc etc.

Anyway, I got one yesterday after I came to the conclusion that they are quite similar to chameleons. I am not usually interested in anything but chameleons but this guy caught my eye. The first day I checked him out and he appears to be in great shape. No missing toes, full tail, clean mouth, alert, highly active, etc etc, so..........

As usual, the lizards I like, there is next to no information. Any experience is appreciated. Will try to get some pics up at some point in time.

There isn't a lot of info out there.

Bert Langerwerf wrote of his short experiment breeding them, but I can't remember if the info you want is in his water dragon book, a back issue of reptiles magazine, or reptiles magazine site online (can't remember the name of that site either LOL).

I have a pair right now (and some eggs incubating) - I have had them about 6-8 months now! They are very active during the day. Mine love to run upside down on the screen top. I feed them crickets and mealworms. I have a 40 wt bulb and a 5.0 uvb light. I have pics from a previous post of their setup. They are very funny to watch!

I have a pair right now (and some eggs incubating) - I have had them about 6-8 months now! They are very active during the day. Mine love to run upside down on the screen top. I feed them crickets and mealworms. I have a 40 wt bulb and a 5.0 uvb light. I have pics from a previous post of their setup. They are very funny to watch!

Awesome!!!! Glad to hear you have had them for a good little while and have eggs! Did they mate for you or did you get a gravid female? If they did mate do you see any seasonal type cues that stimulated them? I only have a male but of course if things go well with him he will have a GF or two:) I am guessing you keep them much like a panther with maybe slightly higher humidity? They are so fun to watch!! Super fast little boogers with great climbing skills:D I like the colors and patterns also. Ill have to look up your thread.

Thanks, Flux. Its neat to know Bert was working with them also. Ill have to try and find his article. If you do come across it though let me know.

Hi,

Sorry to necro this thread, but I am trying to find someone who has successfully hatched these. Have had a number of failed clutches. Trying to find out what the eggs are supposed to be like when freshly laid and best incubating parameters - Can't find a lot online at all.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom