Any Pygmy owners out there?

chamcrazy

I am the proud owner of 2 veiled chams. One male, one female and 81 fertile eggs.

I saw my 1st pygmy cham yesterday and fell in love with it. I didn't buy it, but I can't stop thinking about him so I might have to go back and get him today.:eek:

My question is how are their personalities? Are they very active? Is it ok to carefully handle them? Or is it not recommended? I am able to handle my male veiled all the time. He actually falls asleep in my hands a lot. But my female is not very "user friendly" so I pretty much leave her alone. I still love her but I feel bad owning something that is so scared of me. Are pygmys known for being overly scared or friendly?

Thanks for any input. If someone can get back to me fairly soon, it might determine whether or not I go out and get him today.

Please help.

I would call them a display animal only as they are quite fragile. They are fun to watch and are one of the very few you can keep a small herd of in the right sized enclosure. Aqauriums or Exoterra's are great for Pygs.

Chamcrazy, in this instance you may want to not rush out and buy him without thinking it through. I suggest you read up on enclosure articles found here:

http://chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=46
Awesome article by ROO on Husbandry

http://chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=63
Another awesome article by ROO on enclosure setup

Something to think about. People overlook this.

1. These require small feeders. Many people have issues getting a supply of small feeders. Local pet stores sometimes run out or don't have a good supply of small feeders. If you have to order online, think about the cost of shipping, and what happens when you run out and you can't get it quick enough due to cold weather, etc etc.

2. People LOVE keeping these guys/gals in herds. Thats all well and good, BUT, and this is a major but - MANY people fail to think about the babies that they will produce. Trust me, if you have a herd of male and females, you will have babies. Are you prepared to raise and take on babies? You will need even smaller feeders! I have a pair that I got from ROO, and she gave me multiple clutches. I practically had to separate them.

Just some things to think about before going totally chamcrazy!

Thanks for your great input and the link! I am only going to get one so I won't need to worry about the breeding problem. (Even if I did have a problem with breeding, I am totally ready since I have 81 fertile veiled eggs right now. ;) )

I also have all the lighting, and small encloser for him so I would just have to get a few small things as far as plants & food.

I actually raise my own crickets, so small feeders are not a problem either.

Thanks for all the warnings and suggestion though. It's nice to know people are truly concerned about the chams on this forum.

I am mainly concerned about their tempermant.

Chamcrazy, in this instance you may want to not rush out and buy him without thinking it through. I suggest you read up on enclosure articles found here:

http://chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=46
Awesome article by ROO on Husbandry

http://chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=63
Another awesome article by ROO on enclosure setup

Something to think about. People overlook this.

1. These require small feeders. Many people have issues getting a supply of small feeders. Local pet stores sometimes run out or don't have a good supply of small feeders. If you have to order online, think about the cost of shipping, and what happens when you run out and you can't get it quick enough due to cold weather, etc etc.

2. People LOVE keeping these guys/gals in herds. Thats all well and good, BUT, and this is a major but - MANY people fail to think about the babies that they will produce. Trust me, if you have a herd of male and females, you will have babies. Are you prepared to raise and take on babies? You will need even smaller feeders! I have a pair that I got from ROO, and she gave me multiple clutches. I practically had to separate them.

Just some things to think about before going totally chamcrazy!

Thanks so much.

I have the perfect place in my living room to "display' him. (I'm just getting one.)

I would call them a display animal only as they are quite fragile. They are fun to watch and are one of the very few you can keep a small herd of in the right sized enclosure. Aqauriums or Exoterra's are great for Pygs.

The last thing I would want is another cham when I have 81 fertile eggs! LOL. But yes, temperament. Super skiddish, fragile, and will drop dead (defense mechanism) when you pick them up. I handle them only when I need to inspect them every other month or so.

Also be aware that if you have to handle them, they may "buzz"! Don't drop 'em when they vibrate.
For display pygs are wonderful!

I love the buzz. Super cute. What I am really in the market for are R. acuminatus. Hint. Hint, anyone want to hit me up with some?

Did you see the beautiful shots of the rhampholeon-rhino-acuminatus yesterday! (time to make some European friends)

No officer, they are just tiny Easter eggs!

Back
Top Bottom