any electricians to guide me in a diy repair?

Electric

my ESU slimline fixture has crapped out on me, I left one morning as usual (the lamp was fine) and I come home to a non stop flickering light which was extremely hot, and was giving off sort of a burning smell. (isn't a ballast supposed to shutdown the lamp when temps get too high?) so I play around with the bulb, try inserting it the other way but nothing really fixes the problem. I open up the fixture for fun and I see something that appears to be some melted plastic on the ballast, I fiddle around with the wires without unplugging/changing anything thinking maybe something was just slightly disconnected, but that did nothing either. My first guess is the ballast is shot, it's a really small little block and I think it said 'replace only with class P' on it. Any chance the problem is coming from the bulb?

I know most of you are probably thinking, bring it back to the store(which I am gonna try) but here's the slight problems, it's now been about 3-4months since purchase, I've somehow lost the receipt, and it happens to be a store that does their receipts simply by punching in the prices, so the receipt shows no product names or numbers, just the price I paid in total. I could go and dig up the transaction record from the bank so that I have proof I spent 400+$ at their store, but they still might say, it's been too long, not our problem anymore. (the product box says nothing about any warranty)

The thing that pisses me off the most, is that I bought the damn thing for 59.99$. That was back when I had no idea that I could go buy a 10$ fixture at a hardware store and replace the bulb for 25-30$...so should I attempt to repair it or should I demand my money back? (or at least try and get my 60$ back in store credit)

any input is greatly appreciated, thanks

Last edited:
I always take stuff back, if they value their customers they will return it specially if you are going to exchange it for another one... they will send it back adn get credit for it anyway, but if not you can always try and fix it or gut it and make it work with a 10 dollar fixture from lowes or home depot and it will look better at least...

If you can actually see melted plastic in the enclosure then something most likely fried. Could be just about anything that causes it, electrical spikes, lightning and other types of accidents. Actually last winter my grandfather lost everything electrical in his entire house cuz a drunk driver crashed into the electrical box near the curb. Sent a spike through the whole house, he woke up with all the lights in his house blinding white hot then exploded. It really sucked.

My company would not take something like that as a return but you can give it a shot if you would like. I personally would leave the part about it being melted out when explaining it to the store. I would just say it doesn't work and keep it brief.:) Also I have seen these things work fine even when melted a bit as long as there is no kind of circuitry inside, so I guess I would try replacing the bulb and see what happens. That is if the store won't take it back.

Just my 2 cents, I only dabble in electrical engineering I don't have a degree or anything like that. :)

This is an edit of my original post...

Is this a florescent light? If so I believe they all flicker as they start to go bad and need to be replaced. It's not like a normal bulb that just fries out and stops working.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies guys, I guess I'll try and replace the bulb before anything else, yes it's fluorescent, t8 or t5 not sure, 18inch/15watt

just curious though, what did you mean by "My company would not take something like that as a return" ? you mean cause of the loss of receipt? or because it's been too long since date of purchase..?

Melting plactic and a burning smell will have nothing to do with your bulb... Sounds like something to do with your ballast which you can buy replacements for... I would not continue to use it. Try to take it back, or get a new one...

I meant that we don't accept any electronics returns that have this kind of damage but I work for a Building Automation Company not a retail store I should have said that in the first post. If that happens with our products I can almost always say it was user error that caused the problem. Our products are tested so much that its not very likely that it was defective.

After thinking about this for more than 5 min I realized how dumb it really is....don't risk anything just pay the $10 and get it at home depot. Try to return it but if it failed 1 time I am sure they have a quality control problem and it is likely to happen again. $10 is nothing in the grand scheme of raising and keeping Chams.

yeah I was mostly aiming to get my money back and buy a different one, cause even if they swap it for a new one, I'm still getting the shaft and paying way too much...

And 10 bucks it nothing if you continue to use it and set the place on fire! One of the first things I learned in the IBEW... When in doubt, Change it out! Power is nothing to muck with... I have had my ass zaped enough times trying to fix something to know that it's the truth!

that was what kind of freaked me out when I smelt that nasty burning smell, what if I would of came home an hour or two later to a burning house? ...

yeah just get a new 10$ deal and use your old light for the hood part and make it work for your new one, like a enclosure really...

Back
Top Bottom