Another one died....i think

ajacobson

I was trying to get a picture of my potentially gravid female to see what you all thought. After I snapped a few pictures I put her back and noticed that my smallest girl wasn't moving around or trying to get prey and that her eyes were squinted and almost shut. I took her out and gave her a light misting to see if it would get her going and make her open her eyes. She didn't open her eyes but she put her back legs out like she was flying. It was kind of weird, then she turned this really light color and convulsed. She had her tongue slightly out and her mouth stayed open for a few seconds, then she just kind of went limp. I know they can "play dead" but she looks pretty stiff and dead. I don't know whats going on. That's two females in a week. The other females (incl the possibly gravid one) and males seem to be thriving. They move around, drink and chase down crickets. I'm super bummed...:(

Here are my specs:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - WC pygmys (was 2.4, now down to 2.2) less than a month
Handling - Besides putting them in the tank when I got them, this was the first time.
Feeding - crickets, gutloaded with Cricket Crack daily
Supplements - lightly dust with Calcium at feeding time. They will be on the same supplement schedule as my other chams. Cal with d3 twice a month and vitamin once a month
Watering - Hand mist 3 times daily, until leaves are dripping and soil is damp, but not muddy
Fecal Description - it blends in but the ones I see look normal (and large)
History - none.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - glass aquarium, 55g or more mesh top
Lighting - Exoterra 2.0 UVB bulb on around 10-12 hrs
Temperature - Room temp - mid 70's
Humidity - Misting 3 times daily
Plants - 3 pothos, did have a hibiscus but it died
Placement - not high traffic area, not directly hit by air vents or fan
Location - Las Vegas, NV

Current Problem - 2 female deaths in a week!

EDIT: I'm pretty sure she's dead but I have her in a container to make sure..

We all know Steve makes the best cricket crack on the planet but you are talking very small crickets. If all you give them at that size is cricket crack I would think they would be very dry for the brev's to eat. In my mind they need something to put moisture into them prior to feeding. jmo Sorry it is the only possibly helpful thing I could come up with. Looks to me like you are doing it all correctly.

From what you posted everything sounds good. Remember that they are wild caught, and as such you don't know their age, if they have parasites, if the females have laid a lot of eggs. Many variables that you have no control over. They are delicate little creatures. Keep at it if you enjoy them.

We all know Steve makes the best cricket crack on the planet but you are talking very small crickets. If all you give them at that size is cricket crack I would think they would be very dry for the brev's to eat. In my mind they need something to put moisture into them prior to feeding. jmo Sorry it is the only possibly helpful thing I could come up with. Looks to me like you are doing it all correctly.

I give them the Cricket Quenchers with Calcium for "water" What could I use to make them less dry??

From what you posted everything sounds good. Remember that they are wild caught, and as such you don't know their age, if they have parasites, if the females have laid a lot of eggs. Many variables that you have no control over. They are delicate little creatures. Keep at it if you enjoy them.

well said it all looks good , an as lisa said with w/c ya just never know, i have lost a few females my one male does great, i did get 8 eggs of which 7 are doin great an fun to watch. be a group of cb pygs avail soon..

I give them the Cricket Quenchers with Calcium for "water" What could I use to make them less dry??

Cricket Quencher is fine, but you don't need the one with Calcium, since you dust your crickets. Not a reason for pygs to be dying, but just an fyi. You're doing fine :)

Sorry for your loss. This is not uncommon when dealing with WC pygs. They are pretty fragile and do become eggbound. There really is not much you can do.

Like I said i think you are doing all the right stuff. Even with cricket crack I put in a wet gutload also instead of water. I make that the water source. Just chop the same fruits and veggies you would use normally, kale, collard greens, squash, honey dew melon and that type are what I use for moisture. But that is just me, again you are doing well and I don't think adding moisture would have saved this little one.

Sorry for your loss again. I don't know much about pygmies so can't be of much help. I will say from the sounds of things you seem to be doing great with care and things.

Back
Top Bottom