another Hornworm question! sorry!!

carol5208

Chameleon Enthusiast
I tried to find my old thread to add to but I couldn't so just wanted to ask a question here. I let some hornworms cocoon in the dirt. Four of them turned into the cocoons and after about 6 weeks two of them hatched. Its been about two weeks or more and the other two are still alive cause when you touch them they move. My question is, how long will they stay like that. I thought after a month or so they either hatched or died. It has got to be a good 6 weeks plus since they cocooned in the dirt. Anything I can do to get them to hatch like put them under a light or something? Thanks for your help!!!

As far as I know there isn't anything you can do to help. When I raised silkworms some made it out of the cocoon and some didn't. I know what you mean about them moving in there, but still not all of them make it. If you let a lot of them cocoon I'm sure you'll get enough male/female ratio to keep them breeding.

Thanks! I actually wasn't looking to get into the breeding. It is expensive to just keep buying I know. I just was going to feed my cham the moths. He snatched the other two right up! I just didn't know if this could go on for months. I am tired of looking at the stupid container of dirt of everyday!! lol!

I know exactly how you feel. I've been staring at the stupid cricket eggs in my container for weeks waiting for them to hatch. It's the first time I've tried breeding crickets and man it's harder than anything even though I did a bunch of research.

Back
Top Bottom