angry panther...

Ryanlilb

i have a 4 month old orbit panther male chameleon. he looks amazing, but he always hide in his cage. and then when i try to take him out he bites. any ideas on how to calm him down, i can hand feed every now and then...my ambanja male that is 5 months old runs torwards my hand and has never flared up at me. what do i do?

i have a 4 month old orbit panther male chameleon. he looks amazing, but he always hide in his cage. and then when i try to take him out he bites. any ideas on how to calm him down, i can hand feed every now and then...my ambanja male that is 5 months old runs torwards my hand and has never flared up at me. what do i do?

Make sure there is plenty of foliage in his cage for him to hide and feel secure. Also dont mess with him if he doesnt want messed with. Let him be how he is going to be.

yeah i have a big umbrella plant in there and grapevine. he has plenty of hiding room, both cams are in their own 24"x24"x36" cage... they have tons of room, and then i just set up a free range area in the corner of the room...

Some animals (I deal more day to day with furry animals but I guess chams aren't too different) just don't like to be handled.

Mine was very unhandlable when I got him, but unfortunately I had to get him used to it because he is going to need frequent vet trips and such. He's now quite happy to come out and be handled, and I did it by putting my hand in front of him to climb onto, and gently guiding him on to it, no pulling, peeling off of branches or anything. I always move pretty slowly around him as to not startle him, and I've never been bitten.

Amanda

Have you tried opening the door and letting him climb on top of the door? My cham did not like to be cornered in the cage and I started to let him climb out on his terms and then began approaching him slowly when he was out. Little by little, he got friendlier and friendlier. He never hisses, bites, puffs up, nothing. The nicest guy I could ask for.

yeah ill try leaving the door open and see if he comes out, im still trying to perfect the cup feeding way, i have built two or three different types of cups and the crickets get out within seconds. and are all over the cage lol

Have you tried opening the door and letting him climb on top of the door? My cham did not like to be cornered in the cage and I started to let him climb out on his terms and then began approaching him slowly when he was out. Little by little, he got friendlier and friendlier. He never hisses, bites, puffs up, nothing. The nicest guy I could ask for.

This worked for me too! I also made sure to hand feed as often as possible. Moving slow helped too I think, at least I like to believe it did.

Mine used to run away whenever I put my hand in and he would puff up and tell me to go away. Now he looks forward to me because it means I either have food for him or I am going to put him in his free range (which he loves and wants to be in ALL the time, so much for the mist king :p)

Just give it patience and stay chill, don't force anything and I bet in a few weeks time you will see a change in his attitude towards you.

yeah ill try leaving the door open and see if he comes out, im still trying to perfect the cup feeding way, i have built two or three different types of cups and the crickets get out within seconds. and are all over the cage lol

What I like to do is shake the cup against the screen and make it so the only way the crickets can get out of the cup is to walk on the screen up towards the top. Any that fall to the ground or head to the bottom are the ones I get to hand feed.

Back
Top Bottom