Ambilobe X Nosy Be

Leahryan

I'm about to purchase my first chameleon (from screameleons) which will be a 50/50 mix between an ambilobe and a nosy be. Does anybody know of any pros or cons of purchasing a mixed cham? I can't wait to see what an adult of this mix will turn out to look like :)

The only con is that you can't really breed him in he future and sell the babies, because it's a mess. But as far as beauty, personality, and care go they are no different :) And it's probably a little more interesting to see what colors th mix produces.

Thanks, I don't really plan on doing any breeding of my own anyway. I am very excited to see the colors produced :)

I'm about to purchase my first chameleon (from screameleons) which will be a 50/50 mix between an ambilobe and a nosy be. Does anybody know of any pros or cons of purchasing a mixed cham? I can't wait to see what an adult of this mix will turn out to look like :)

Ambi-nosy is one of the most popular hybrids. Here's a couple pictures of one of mine (at rest - he fires up very orange and golden)
full

full

In my opinion, there are no serious "cons" to crosses. But they do tend to fetch a little less money than "pure" locals - which only matters if you are trying to breed for $$

A Cross that people on this forum are fond of is McLovin, owned by Socalison. See his pictures here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/mclovin-muffin-lovin-22661/
and Here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/mclovin-sgt-pepper-baby-quad-27213/

Last edited by a moderator:
He's beautiful!! I'm so excited, I thought it would turn out a more red and blue color. Both are awesome.

I hope you will post some pictures in the future! Also, just to put it out there, Screameleons is GREAT, but personally I have experienced FANTASTIC support and amazing colors from KammerFlage Kreations (Chameleonsonly.com).

I hope you will post some pictures in the future! Also, just to put it out there, Screameleons is GREAT, but personally I have experienced FANTASTIC support and amazing colors from KammerFlage Kreations (Chameleonsonly.com).

I was between Screameleons and Kammerflage, I finally decided on screameleons only because I've seen them at shows and they are closer so the chameleon will spend less time in transit. I also put up a picture they sent me of my soon to be cham. I am still new at this website and I'm not sure how to show the picture off yet. :)

Oh yes, if you were able to see them in person, I deffinitly see why you would make that choice! Both, in my opinion, are great breeders! Good luck with your new Cham!! :)

I actually think crosses are very interesting as far as colors go. If you ever were to breed, just be sure that whoever you sell the babies to know the correct cross so they don't breed thinking they are 100% ambilobe. Have fun watching the colors develop and make sure to post some pics!! :)

Ambi-nosy is one of the most popular hybrids. Here's a couple pictures of one of mine (at rest - he fires up very orange and golden)
full

full

In my opinion, there are no serious "cons" to crosses. But they do tend to fetch a little less money than "pure" locals - which only matters if you are trying to breed for $$

A Cross that people on this forum are fond of is McLovin, owned by Socalison. See his pictures here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/mclovin-muffin-lovin-22661/
and Here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/mclovin-sgt-pepper-baby-quad-27213/
your chameleon is awesome!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was between Screameleons and Kammerflage, I finally decided on screameleons only because I've seen them at shows and they are closer so the chameleon will spend less time in transit. I also put up a picture they sent me of my soon to be cham. I am still new at this website and I'm not sure how to show the picture off yet. :)

hey congrats, i just bought 2x from kammerflage there customer support rocks and they were very helpful with everything, i to was going between kammer and scream and glad i went with kammer they produce some CRAZY stuff over there!!! good luck any how,

That is so not true. :D BTW how'd you figure that.

I'm not against breeding crosses at all, but here are a few reasons why I wouldn't do it for the purpose of selling (I might hatch out 5-6 eggs and keep all offspring, for example):

1. You can't sell them for as much, so you lose even more money in breeding and raising hatchlings.
2. You have a harder time selling them, especially if you're an unknown breeder, because there is less demand for mixes.
3. You will have even less demand for the cross females, so you might be stuck with quite a few of them.
4. You risk people getting your females and then irresponsibly selling them off as something else, thereby making a mess in other breeding programs without meaning too directly.

I'm not against breeding crosses at all, but here are a few reasons why I wouldn't do it for the purpose of selling (I might hatch out 5-6 eggs and keep all offspring, for example):

1. You can't sell them for as much, so you lose even more money in breeding and raising hatchlings.
2. You have a harder time selling them, especially if you're an unknown breeder, because there is less demand for mixes.
3. You will have even less demand for the cross females, so you might be stuck with quite a few of them.
4. You risk people getting your females and then irresponsibly selling them off as something else, thereby making a mess in other breeding programs without meaning too directly.

#1 is MOSTLY true. it does depend where you live, and on supply/demand. I sell my male crosses for almost as much as my pure males. Some crosses can actually sell for MORE than pures.
2 - also only mostly true. Again, it just depends on demand.
3 - probably true. just sell them for less to people who want a pet, rather than market to breeders or those who care about lineage.
4 - thats a risk in ALL cases, really - but people who want pure animals buy from reputable sources, so your "back yard breeder" is unlikely to indirectly interfer with some pure breeding program

Back
Top Bottom