Ambilobe female colors

Debmonster

I traded some jackson babies for a beautiful female ambilobe. Poor thing was sitting in a pet store for months (they did take great care of her though). Anyway, is there a way to tell if she's red barred or blue barred?

Even though I love the colors that the crosses are producing;) , I am a bit of a purist so I would like to make sure (if possible) to stay true to her type.

Peregrine falcons were able to be reintroduced because of falconers who were breeding them for hunting...just a thought.

I will be looking for a male in about 2 months (that's when my purchasing begins for my new breeding business...woo hoo!) and to make sure I purchase the right "dude" for her.

I can post a picture of her (she is beautiful:eek:) if that would help.

Debs

Last edited:
Here's the new girl - she's usually more "peachy" colored.

Attachments

• F1ambilobe01.jpg
    F1ambilobe01.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 152
Theres no way you could know with most females, especially different ambilobes. Perhaps if you are a purist she should be a pet only.

Okay...I'm not that much of a purists :p

And in hind-site I think stating that the way I did sounds...umm..upity, which I am not. I love the look of the cross bred chameleons and the debate of locale will always be debated. The colors that shows up in crossed chams is freaking awesome. I guess it's just my weird projection of the future regarding the possibility of the re-introduction of a species somewhere if we totally screw up their habitat.

Weird??? yup that's me :rolleyes: :eek:

I think so long as you are honest in reporting what you know for sure and what you do NOT know for sure about the parents of any offspring, that is good enough.

I traded some jackson babies for a beautiful female ambilobe. Poor thing was sitting in a pet store for months (they did take great care of her though). Anyway, is there a way to tell if she's red barred or blue barred?

Even though I love the colors that the crosses are producing;) , I am a bit of a purist so I would like to make sure (if possible) to stay true to her type.

Peregrine falcons were able to be reintroduced because of falconers who were breeding them for hunting...just a thought.

I will be looking for a male in about 2 months (that's when my purchasing begins for my new breeding business...woo hoo!) and to make sure I purchase the right "dude" for her.

I can post a picture of her (she is beautiful:eek:) if that would help.

Debs

As most said you cannot determine the locale of a female from appearance nor can you tell what color phase ambilobe she comes from. I wouldnt call it cross breeding locales if you where to get a redbar and blue bar Ambilobe and breed them. It would still be an ambilobe. You can get quite different colors out of a clutch which would suggest its a dominant gene feature that determines what colors they will show off more. There are ambis from bluebar lineage that start blue and then go to red when older and vice versa. Kats, Steve is a great example.

One thing is that some people do want to know the lineage of both the sire and dam so they can get an idea of what to expect. Like Steve, I am sure Kat was surprised to find out he was going to turn into a VERY BEAUTIFUL RED BAR instead of blue like the sire although Im positive she is still happy with him. Another thing is if the store didnt know if he is of blue or redbar lineage how does he know its an ambilobe. Not saying he doesnt but that is another thing to think about. I would ask him about this and if he can tell you how he knows then if you got her to breed her with another ambi I would call them Ambilbobes:) Like Sandra said, just let the purchaser know that the lineage of the female is unknown.

Another thing is if the store didn't know if he is of blue or redbar lineage how does he know its an Amble. Not saying he doesn't but that is another thing to think about. I would ask him about this .

Yeah, the store is contacting the the person who purchased her to check.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I love the word Ambilbobes!! Record keeping is key...I already have a spreadsheet for that too...Excel is the Shir nits :p

Back
Top Bottom