aluminum screen- size of cham?

Aquaseafoam

So, after some research it seems that mostly just larger chams are the ones to lose/injury toes on aluminum screen. I have found a great premade frame, and I already have some screen at the house. My cham is about 4-5inches long sans tail.
I am scared to use the screen now- and thinking i should just go get some hardware cloth- he will be feeding from a cup anyhow. Is he big enough to get his nails caught? and.. I would just have to re-do the sides anyway when he gets bigger.
Is the Al screen mishap really that common?

yes you can

Screen cages are fine i have a senegal chameleon 7 inches long in an all screen cage cage and he is doing fine.:D

-Keeping them off the screen is best, and offering a densely plant cage goes a long way
-Nails don't need to get stuck for damage to occur and so any size chameleon is at risk
-Screen causes unnatural wear and tear on claws compared to branches
-If you build your cages, then see my thread on Building Tips about plastic link fencing
-Loss of nails needs to be monitored as there is risk of infection. flush with clean lukewarm water, then use Polysporin. Rinse and repeat for a few days.
If it worsens, blood still flows or there is discolouration. You need to arrange to see a reptile Vet at the earliest available opportunity.
-Hardware cloth can be used, but will result inevitably in escapee feeders. Some types may rust.. Others have sharp plastic coating that could cut feet.
-Lost nails do not grow back. Worn nails do grow, but very slowly.
-Receptive females of some egg laying species grow faster and longer during mating season, or when receptive. It is assumed this helps with digging.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom