Almost ready to get my first chameleon veiled or panther

ibjesschillin

Okay i'm ready to get my first chameleon what do the experts suggest as far as getting for species? I really love the panther chameleon i just feel a bit nervous because i've never kept one before. I feel as though i'm educating myself befor i get one and getting the habitat ready as well. wire mesh cage, 5.0 reptisun tube, misting system, heat basking source, digital thermometer are all on the way. Is there any advantage in getting a veiled first to get so experience with them prior to a keeping a panther or is their care pretty much the same? I would definately prefer a panther for sure, i just love them!!! Is getting a older panther a better idea to start off? which age would be the best for me and type?

If this is your first cham but you have kept reptiles...i would go panther. they are more vibrant and just look cooler. but if this is your first reptile then veild. there are more resilient and can deal with a wider range of habitat, so you dont have to get it perfect your first time out. either way good luck. read alot and post alot of questions evryone on here is really helpful. also once you have your enclosure ready, post pics. we can help guide you very easily from there. :D

my first cham was a panther who i believe are much nicer then veileds but i had other reptiles for over 7 years before so it was quite easy to take care of

Get what you want, but try to get an older baby. Probably around 4-6 months. The younger ones are a little harder.

Yea, get whatever you really want. There's no use in getting a veiled as a starter pet if that's not really what you want. It's better to spend the $150-300 on a panther you REALLY want and be happy, instead of all that money on a veiled first and THEN all that again for the cham you wanted.

I have three species (my signature) and Othello was my first, despite everyone saying that Jackson's (Especially wild caught) were horrible for first-timers. I did it anyway and I've had no problems. And you shouldn't either, with everything it looks like already have set up and all the research you've been doing. Between all three species I don't think a single one of them is any harder to keep than the others. In fact, there is no significant difference in the way I care for them day-to-day. Their set-up might be different (different watt bulbs depending on prefered heat... etc) but between my panthers and veiled, it's all basically the same.

It's only been my experience, but I find no real difference in the "hardness" of one species over another.

Thanks for the advice. I have crested geckos which are super easy but haven't kept a reptile that requires a uv source and an enclosure that needs to be so precise. I think perhaps this is whAt draws me to wanting to have a chameleon Is the precise husbandry of this reptile. It seems to me to almost a science in a way. I definately am going to get a panther. You're advice has helped me. Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I have crested geckos which are super easy but haven't kept a reptile that requires a uv source and an enclosure that needs to be so precise. I think perhaps this is whAt draws me to wanting to have a chameleon Is the precise husbandry of this reptile. It seems to me to almost a science in a way. I definately am going to get a panther. You're advice has helped me. Thanks

If you can give the crested geckos a good home, I see no reason a panther would be a hard to keep animal.
Most panthers are more calm and friendly as compared to veileds.

As far as being a precise husbandry, you will be surprised how each of us has many different ways to reach the needs of our chameleons.
Some may use a wire mesh screen cage, some will use glass.
Some might have to use humidifiers, some might only add an extra misting session.

In time you will learn what will work for you.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom