Affects of Natural Sunlight on a Panther Chameleon

KevinA

Avid Member
Effects of Natural Sunlight on a Panther Chameleon

Hi People,

Just thought I would share this.

These photos are of the same animal, in the same shed over a period of a few weeks. The first photo is of him fresh into the sunlight after being housed with a 5.0 tube 04/28/2009. The next is 05/09/2009 after being housed outside full time. The 3rd photo is about 05/17/2009 after a few weeks of natural sun. Each photo was about equal fire up level. 3rd pic does not even due him justice.
IMG_7129.jpg

IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7543.jpg

Last edited:
My first chameleon

I had a discussion on this with Miss Lily just the other day.

Sixteen years ago when I purchased my female veiled, the technology was not there (neither was the internet). She was about an inch long stv. The owner of the shop was a personal friend of mine and also very interested in chams. He set me up with her cage and supplies according to the knowledge of the day.

Now here's the kicker, she never had lights! None. Widget died at the age of SIX from complications brought on from swallowing a chinese beetle.

Her entire life she cycled regularly, laid infertile eggs without a problem, probably had parasites, and never had a sick day in her life.

Why? I feel that it was because she was out in the sun (weather permitting) almost every single day. There were days when it wasn't possible to do, but even if it were for a few hours - she was out there.

Yes Kevin, the benefits of natural sun can not be under estimated.

Beautiful boy by the way, is that Chameleo Estevez' brother?

Last edited:
OK - so which one of you wants to pay for me and my zoo to move to sunny CA or FL?? :D Roomies anyone??

I cherish those brief 3-4 months of the year when I can have my chams outside for even part of the day. It totally makes a difference in every way.

Excellent pics!

You all in southern california, and southern florida are lucky to have such great weather that permits you to keep your chams outside.....Add it to the list of reasons why I can't figure out why I ever moved back here from so cal....:rolleyes::p

I do have a question concerning taking your chams outside, at what temperature is it ok to do so?? I would love to take mine out, well one would let me easily... the other might put up a fight. I'm just concerned it may be to cold for them just to sit outside in a plant or cage.

Gizmo goes out when the thermometer in his trees hits the low 70's (this is the morning reading). On the other side of the coin, I also watch for temperatures becoming too high. In the summer that usually happens anywhere from noon to one.

Gizmo goes out when the thermometer in his trees hits the low 70's (this is the morning reading). On the other side of the coin, I also watch for temperatures becoming too high. In the summer that usually happens anywhere from noon to one.

Would you say temps are too high around the 85 degree range? Also, I have veileds not panthers, I'm sure that makes a little difference, but probably not a whole lot.

kevin, thanks for the pics. That guy is amazing and I definatly agree sunlight is the way to go if you can.

Chams 1, I will be your room mate!!!! Although I dont live there:rolleyes: but want too.

Chamnovice, I would put my panthers out as long as it was between 60 and 90 and I would also push that just a little too but I wont recommend it because somebody may have a different opinion. I never had a problem with these temps. They can get very cool at night as long as they have some good sun to warm up to in the morning and if it starts to get really hot multiple cool showers thru out the day. 85 is a good outside temp if you ask me;) My ousties were out lastnight and it got down to the upper 50s. I also had been keeping my montanes out a few days before that and it was getting into the upper 40s. I would be more worried about the hot side of things.

Edit: If your guy is young I wouldnt take it to any sides of the extreme and remember they can dehydrate quicker when smaller.

Would you say temps are too high around the 85 degree range? Also, I have veileds not panthers, I'm sure that makes a little difference, but probably not a whole lot.

Not if they have sufficient shade provided to go to cool off. When I say sufficient, I mean a large area that is shaded. Not just the shade provided UNDER the plants. I keep two thermometers just for that purpose so that I know how hot it is in the sun and how cool his shade area is. I also mist quite a lot when it gets to that temp range. Hope that helps.

OK - so which one of you wants to pay for me and my zoo to move to sunny CA or FL?? :D Roomies anyone??

Chams 1, I will be your room mate!!!! Although I dont live there:rolleyes: but want too.

I'm with you, Let's Go!!! Like I said before, still kicking myself for moving back here, I miss it a lot out there.

Not if they have sufficient shade provided to go to cool off. When I say sufficient, I mean a large area that is shaded. Not just the shade provided UNDER the plants. I keep two thermometers just for that purpose so that I know how hot it is in the sun and how cool his shade area is. I also mist quite a lot when it gets to that temp range. Hope that helps.

Ok, yes that helps, have to go on the other side of the house than I had planned on for the big trees and the large shaded area.

Andrew:

You and I are very close logistically so I imagine we have about the same weather, depending on what you get off of Lake Michigan (you get worse lake-effect stuff than I do on this side). I will put my chams out from mid 70's to mid 80's depending on the wind conditions and humidity. Starting about mid-June, the humidity can get too stifling. I always make sure I'm around when they are out so that I can move the cages with the sun, always making sure that some of their cage gets some shade, just in case they get too hot. (We have most of their outdoor caging on racks with wheelies so it can be moved around easily on the patio.)

So, howz about we all get a caravan together? All of us wannabe's can go out and create our own little commune.....

OK, sorry. That was just creepy. :eek:

lil bit

Or I could start a hostel for wayward Cham keepers. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom