A lesson learned...and a "discovery"

ndugan7

I joined this forum after getting my first chameleon over 2 years ago (i had a different SN on here then) i have made many mistakes and never stopped learning. Each day i appreciate what i know and try to expand my knowledge. After a terrible experience with a breeder listed on the kingsnake classifieds almost a year ago, i - not knowing the rules - posted a scathing review on this forum and it was promptly deleted :D. after reading the rules a little closer i decided to delve further into the community and joined the fauna classifieds which allow complaints via a Board of Inquiry. it was when i joined the fauna classifieds that i realized i hadn't done nearly enough research before i committed, for if i had done some reading, i would NEVER have gone with the breeder (actually from what i know now they breed nothing but are animals 'flippers') i had in mind. This is a perfect example as to why research and planning are SO important BEFORE you buy. Chameleons should never be an impulse buy.

So the second thing i wanted to say with this post is that i was surprised as i read more and further back into the Board of Inquiry section at the petty squabbling and fighting between people who i recognize and hold in high regard (based on some personal experience and from the forums) in the chameleon trade! Many a familiar name, it was like learning a dark history to a happy children's story! Plus seeing prices and ads from not too long ago i saw just how much the trade has evolved, it's amazing. This is based on threads i just read from years ago that i wasn't remotely involved in so take it as you want!:eek:

It is amazing what u find on cham forums.
Like taheri for 180$ when I paid 300 at the show for her. *sigh ( my own stupidity)
And the heated resovior on your mist king. Breaking grounds for bacteria. Sigh(what can I do now)
And that u rarely handle her. Hmm u told me u handled her often and she was very friendly. I see now she was not handle regularly in her behavior. That's fine
One of ur posts selling her had a pic. I zoomed in. What did I find!!! Crud in her nostril. Arggg. Don't believe me. Heres the pic
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335369855.302055.jpg

So u saying u don't have the money to take her back shouldn't have been a surprise. Another throw away that wouldn't breed for you and make u money. Boohoo. Who suffers here. The Cham.

Sorry if this is out of place or cruel. But some times the truth hurts.
In this case it hurts us all.
Hopefully taheri can recover from this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335369891.682707.jpg

I don't see anything about the nostril in that earlier pic that alarms me. I see what could simply be the very common bits of old shed, some minor crusting due to hard water or evaporated minerals chams sometimes develop in their nostrils. The nostril itself looks normal; no obvious disease or defect. The cham itself looks normal. She doesn't look mistreated or misrepresented. If there was some sort of infection triggered by heated misting water I don't see it. A drop of bleach in the reservoir could prevent this pretty easily as long as the reservoir and misting lines were cleaned regularly.

Whether she was handled a lot in earlier life or not really doesn't matter. Chams can and do change their attitude about being handled as they mature. A "friendly" juvenile can decide to be a pissy adult and handling won't really change that.

It's not really clear to me how much time has passed since this cham was first offered for sale and when you bought her so maybe I've misunderstood, but possibly she was offered at the lower price because she was a juvenile whose coloration wasn't fully developed, and now she's a full breedable adult.

Of course I hope her nostril problem resolves itself, but honestly it is an odd rare thing and I doubt anyone can be blamed for it. She could have a defective capillary in that nostril very close to the skin that bleeds easily. Happens all the time in mammals.

Last edited:
I don't see anything about the nostril in that earlier pic that alarms me. I see what could simply be the very common bits of old shed, some minor crusting due to hard water or evaporated minerals chams sometimes develop in their nostrils. The nostril itself looks normal; no obvious disease or defect. The cham itself looks normal. She doesn't look mistreated or misrepresented. If there was some sort of infection triggered by heated misting water I don't see it. A drop of bleach in the reservoir could prevent this pretty easily as long as the reservoir and misting lines were cleaned regularly.

Whether she was handled a lot in earlier life or not really doesn't matter. Chams can and do change their attitude about being handled as they mature. A "friendly" juvenile can decide to be a pissy adult and handling won't really change that.

It's not really clear to me how much time has passed since this cham was first offered for sale and when you bought her so maybe I've misunderstood, but possibly she was offered at the lower price because she was a juvenile whose coloration wasn't fully developed, and now she's a full breedable adult.

Of course I hope her nostril problem resolves itself, but honestly it is an odd rare thing and I doubt anyone can be blamed for it.

Do go into further detail, this is what is wrong with that chameleon he posted. https://www.chameleonforums.com/panther-cham-has-bloody-nose-81477/index4.html It's not just the white crusty stuff. :) For a moment I thought the same thing, and then saw his thread about her.

Do go into further detail, this is what is wrong with that chameleon he posted. https://www.chameleonforums.com/panther-cham-has-bloody-nose-81477/index4.html It's not just the white crusty stuff. :) For a moment I thought the same thing, and then saw his thread about her.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the point the OP was trying to make is that this cham was misrepresented and that there was some sort of problem with her nostril that the seller did not disclose. Frankly I don't see a connection between that earlier photo and the current problem. Without some sort of close up scope exam by a vet or possibly an exray of the cham's head I doubt we can tell anything.

I was merely implying she was mus represented. I have had her 25 days. At any rate what's done is done. I live her and will do what ever it takes to do right by her. As I am.

Back
Top Bottom