A discussion on Lights UVB

Hey everyone. Hope all is well.

Ok, this thread has probably been covered several times in the past, but I am new here and didn't find the information I am looking for. I am also aware that there is a potential for some disagreements with this topic as well, I am learning.

Well, here it goes. Let's assume we are talking about a 24"wide X 24"deep X 48" tall all screen enclosure. Let's also assume that the lights are very close to the top of the cage, maybe an inch or two suspended above. What in your opinions is the best lighting for this cage? I started with a 100watt mv(Mercury Vapor) "T-REX active UV heat" light above each of my two cages. I came to learn that many people are not in favor of these bulbs.

I have considered changing the lighting even though each of those bulbs cost about $65.00. I bought a 4 bulb 48" fixture that I figured I would suspend from the same hooks in the ceiling that my mv are currently hanging from and put some fluorescents in. I was thinking maybe (2) reptisun 5.0 and (2) Reptisun 2.0? Does that sound right? I don't want to over UVB them if that's possible.

Let's hear what everyone's wish list would be for lighting in this kind of set-up.

Thanks much!

p.s. Where do I set up my signature? Is it in the user cp?

Jeff Bushaw
1.1 ambilobe 1.4 leopard gecko 0.1 american bulldog 2.0 human child (well, one of them is still in the oven due Dec. 26) and 0.1 human wife (gravid)

I'll agree that it's not popular, but I'll vouch for the mv bulbs and say I've used them for over a year now and had no problems at all. I've nearly switched many times but still haven't. MV bulbs were highly recommended to me by my exotics vet who is also a certified herpatologist.

I have a 24x24x36 and the mv bulb is right on top of the cage.

Hey Royden, you're in Bothell eh? You ever been to the living reptile museum? It used to be in Gold Bar which is to your east, but I am not sure if they are there any more. I haven't been there for bout 10 years. I used to know the guy that owns that place. Amazing stuff. He had several of my venomous species for a time. Don't know if he does any more. Anyways I've been to Bothell many times and it's beautiful up there. Thanks for the replies and best wishes

JB

Strangely enough, I haven't been there.

I've actually seen his vehicle around as recently as a year or so ago, so I think he' still open for business.

I don't how often you're up in the area but Bothell is the home of Dr. Maas, the vet that recommended the MV bulbs. Great guy. When you take your cham in for a check up he sets aside over an hour to go over the animal and discus husbandry and answer questions.

I come up there every so often for work purposes... Next time I'm up in the area I'll let you know. I'll see if I can find something on his museum and send it to ya. Thanks for the info. People are so cool on this site.

JB

Back
Top Bottom