55 gal tank... what tenant to move in?

Olimpia

Biologist & Ecologist
I was just given a 55 gal tank and the size is much too beautiful to just let sit there uninhabited. But I don't know what to put in it! I can't have fish because I don't own a table solid enough to hold the weight at this time. And I've love to have something tropical, because it gives me time to slowly build up a vivarium for something humid-loving.

No frogs through! I don't like frogs very much.

I've love a green tree python but I can't justify the cost of one given how mean they are. And hell, if I had $400 for an animal I'd get myself a Faly. And I've been looking into all the gorgeous little day geckos but most of them are so small that I would never see them in a naturalistic vivarium unless I had 2 dozen running around.

So what do you suggest? What is a good tropical tenant for a tank this size? I will then do all the research and decide what's the best fit but I need ideas, I'm out of species to look up. Otherwise, this tank is going to be an animal-less planted vivarium :( And it'll be so lonely.

I dont exactly anything tropical you can get other then a colony of pygmies...but you can get geckos, turtles, tortoises, and maybe a ball python if you wish hahahaha

I don't suggest a glass tank for a tortoise so scratch that out. I suggest making a river-type-enclosure add two Painted Turtles, native plants logs, live fish that are native/fast swimmers and you will have a hay-day watching them! I did that with my Black Knob Sawback Map Turtles enclosure and I love it!

The reason I say no Tortoise, you need more of a wooden pen for them. They can't see glass so it's kind of like walking into it, that is what they will do repeatedly. Then it will lead to nose rubbing and a vet trip/bill.

You can make it into a nice planted aquarium.. I wouldn't put turtles into it if it was planted though.. they would tear it apart after an hour. I tried it and was so upset that I had to re-do it. but you can add live plants to it. inter-mix the live with the fake, I realize it's not tropical, but you will love it!

I don't suggest a glass tank for a tortoise so scratch that out. I suggest making a river-type-enclosure add two Painted Turtles, native plants logs, live fish that are native/fast swimmers and you will have a hay-day watching them! I did that with my Black Knob Sawback Map Turtles enclosure and I love it!

The reason I say no Tortoise, you need more of a wooden pen for them. They can't see glass so it's kind of like walking into it, that is what they will do repeatedly. Then it will lead to nose rubbing and a vet trip/bill.

You can make it into a nice planted aquarium.. I wouldn't put turtles into it if it was planted though.. they would tear it apart after an hour. I tried it and was so upset that I had to re-do it. but you can add live plants to it. inter-mix the live with the fake, I realize it's not tropical, but you will love it!

That's right! Ignore what I said about the tortoise lol!

Eastern collard lizards. My top choice for your tank. Get some CB and they are very tame and beautiful.
or
Painted agamas.
or
curly tailed lizards
or
leopard lizards
or
several leopard geckos.
or
any one of the smaller species of lizard that is about 12" or less in length.

or any common colubrid like kingsnake or cornsnake or gartersnake or hognose snake.

You are wrong about never seeing the day geckos though- set up a basking spot where you can see them and you will see them there at the spot all the time- gold dust days absolutely glow. 55 gallon tanks are actually great for small lizards like day geckos and anoles because they can be set up naturally and beautifully for small lizards, yet the lizards can be observed and the tank is large enough to allow pretty good behavior from the lizards.

Just make it a planted terrarium with no animals. Something nice to look at, but without all the worries of critter care.

I second that^

I wouldn't do vine snakes (not sure if thats why you asked me about them) because they have such advanced eye-sight glass tanks stress them to death. I love crocodile skinks (a bit pricey) but they definetly add an exotic addition to any tropical vivarium, maybe even some uroplatus.

I had a rough green tree snake, along with a couple of anoles, in an arboreal style planted glass viv years ago... I really enjoyed it. It was pretty cool to watch it hunt bugs. Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I do like the little crock skinks or maybe some species of day gecko. I just have to narrow down what species I want and look into designing the tank.

You could get some giant madagascan day geckos which are big and you will see them but Gold dusts would be fine or any smalle day geckos as they are active and bold and do come out

A 55 gallon tank is perfect for an adult Bearded Dragon.... But I second the Jungle Carpets, they are great snakes. Brazilian Rainbow boa's are nice as well!

Bearded dragon gets my vote! I know they are common and relatively simple for a reptile, but they just have such great personalities. They are fantastic pets that enjoy being handled, unlike chameleons... lol.

Na, no beardies for me. My roommates had/have them and although they're cool and friendly, they don't do enough in the tank to keep me interested. They run like crazy to eat but besides that they always just sort of sit and watch you. And I'm a fan of tropical environments because I like greenery and misting, so the arid dryness they need isn't what I find visually pleasing.

I am fattening up a pastel ball python for someone right now (to rehome, btw, if anyone is interested send me a PM lol) so I'll probably move him in there for now in a more or less naturalistic enclosure and then figure out what to do when he leaves.

I'm considering either day geckos or perhaps even crock skinks. We'll see in a few months what kind of money I have for that! lol

Back
Top Bottom