3.5 month old veiled looks sad

alvora

Veiled male, 3.5 months old arrived today from Florida Chams.
I put him in the cage as soon as I opened the package, he was bright green and surprisingly flat. He readily climbed onto the leaves and vines in the homey enclosure with everything he needs. I put in 2 crickets and he turned brown, he's been brown ever since (8 hours). He ate 2 silkworms and the two crickets and three phoenix worms. The crickets were fed carrot and Flukers' gutload. The feeders were plain except one silkworm and the two crickets were dusted with calcium with D and reptivite. He seemed to be drinking water from the leaves which I soaked a few times today, hygrometer between 39 and 42 all day.I haven't seen him poop, he has not been tested for parasites. He's in a screen cage, 18" cubed. Top of the cage at 76 to 90 during the day (going down after I misted with warm water). Bottom of the cage between 75 and 77.
He turned a little green two times, when he was eating. Otherwise, he's been a dark or dull brown.
My exxo terra vines are very dark and the branches I use for support are manzanita (very dark wood).
I read that low noises can disturb them. There's a tv and a pellet stove making noise next to him. I wonder if this could be contributing to his sad color. He's ambling around and sometimes lays sideways.

Brand newbie jitters maybe.

Thank you Brad. This will be my first night, your reply will help me rest.
I don't have a picture yet, I was afraid of stressing him any further. He doesn't even have a name yet.
Alvora

I also have a 3.5 month old panther chameleon that I ordered from california (across the country) Tuesday would have been a week that Ive had him. I had the same experience. I can tell that he is starting to become more comfortable but still is brown most of the time. Ive been taking him out and out side for like 10 minutes a day and he gets very happy and turns blue and green but is restless. Remember theyre still young it will take a few months before their colors become more vivid. Keep doing what your doing hell be ok. Jimmy actually ate a cricket out of my hand today!

Noises will not disturb them but vibration and movement will. Research supplementing. You should not be giving caclsium with D3 and Reptivite same day. I would also lower your basking temps to mid 80's for a baby that age.

3.5 mo veiled

Thank you both for the input. I will continue to study supplements and basking temps. Little mistakes lead to big consequences.
He's great, though brown, this A.M.
He's eaten 4 feeders. He's swift in the hunt!
Thanks, again.
Alvora

Veiled male, 3.5 months old arrived today from Florida Chams.
I put him in the cage as soon as I opened the package, he was bright green and surprisingly flat. He readily climbed onto the leaves and vines in the homey enclosure with everything he needs. I put in 2 crickets and he turned brown, he's been brown ever since (8 hours). He ate 2 silkworms and the two crickets and three phoenix worms. The crickets were fed carrot and Flukers' gutload. The feeders were plain except one silkworm and the two crickets were dusted with calcium with D and reptivite. He seemed to be drinking water from the leaves which I soaked a few times today, hygrometer between 39 and 42 all day.I haven't seen him poop, he has not been tested for parasites. He's in a screen cage, 18" cubed. Top of the cage at 76 to 90 during the day (going down after I misted with warm water). Bottom of the cage between 75 and 77.
He turned a little green two times, when he was eating. Otherwise, he's been a dark or dull brown.
My exxo terra vines are very dark and the branches I use for support are manzanita (very dark wood).
I read that low noises can disturb them. There's a tv and a pellet stove making noise next to him. I wonder if this could be contributing to his sad color. He's ambling around and sometimes lays sideways.

Brand newbie jitters maybe.
It will be OK. I just got my female Panther the other day from the same company. They just need time. :)

Does the color really determine the mood and health or can my cham be light green all the time and still be unhealthy?

Brown cham

Hi Alvora. I think U just need let him mellow /and get settled in. At Least 4days.Be sure his basking spot is good & warm/ Misting earlier in day is s=good.Good Luck!!!! Chuck S

Does the color really determine the mood and health or can my cham be light green all the time and still be unhealthy?

The chams colour definitely lets u in on its mood, its unlikely that if the cham is his correct natural colour when not basking that their is a problem.

So personally i think that when the cham is its natural colour it has been correctly treated and therefore should not have any problems.

It then becomes obvious when they are unhappy cause their colour will change drastically.

3.5 mo old ok

My little veiled is doing well. He's eating 8 feeders a day. I have reptivite with D3 and calcium with D3. After reading a post by a knowledgeable member, I'm looking for the calcium without the D3. He has his uvb light all day and sits in a room with 3 large natural light windows. I now know that I must alternate my supplements. His basking area is 80 - 85 C. now.
He has been green a few times a day, usually after he eats or when nobody looks at him for awhile. This morning he was a very happy green - till I changed his lights from night to day and opened his cage to feed him.
Thanks again everyone, I've calmed down now.
Alvora

misting

misting i find brings my veiled to life,do u have nighlight?ie simulated moonlight?my guy sprawls under it to sleep and all his colours r out

Since you are using D3 untill you find one without D3 I would cut down supplimenting from every day to every other day as excess D3 is very hard on the organ's and could cause an overdose of it which could be fatal mine perks up to during the misting but other times hisses at me. Also I see no reason for a night light as temperature drops are recommended for veiled's. Adult veiled's can easily handle high 50's will juvis should be fine at mid 60's

Back
Top Bottom