10.0 too much???

JackAttack

hello all,

so i went to the pet store because jack's UV bulb burnt out, and they all told me that he needs to be under a 10.0, not the 5.0 that he's been under......soooooo thats what he's under now, just wondered if too much will hurt him. thanks!!!

I think that's too much. I would just let him be without a UV buld for a day or two (until you can get a 5.0) than have him under a 10.0 UV bulb. UV burns can kill.

To be honest it mostly depends one what kind of enclosure you have and how big it is. I use a 10.0 with me 4x2x2 cages because you need more light to cover all of the deep foliage. It also depends how far away your basking spots are from the fixture. 10.O uvb rays penetrate about 20 inches and 5.0 the uvb rays only penetrate about 12 inches.

To be honest it mostly depends one what kind of enclosure you have and how big it is. I use a 10.0 with me 4x2x2 cages because you need more light to cover all of the deep foliage. It also depends how far away your basking spots are from the fixture. 10.O uvb rays penetrate about 20 inches and 5.0 the uvb rays only penetrate about 12 inches.

Oh, didn't know that. Good to know, since I use a 5.0 in my 2x2x4 cage during the winter.

I use a 10.0 tube for my male veiled only because the tube it sits on top of the mesh instead of inside the enclosure otherwise i would prob go for a 5.0 inside.

Depends on cage size.....

Champion has it right. It depends on the cage size. 10.0 long flourescents don't cause UVB burns or eye problems. It's the COMPACT flourescents that cause those problems. I use 10.0 Reptisuns on all my bigger cages and for my growing chams. A 2 year old Veiled should be done growing. It's bones should be fully formed and healthy. A 5.0 reptisun would be fine for any cage size on a fully formed adult cham like that. UVB is not as critical an issue as it is for a growing juvenile. What was/is it sick with? What size is your cage?

I personally feel that 10.0's make 5.0's pointless, as they put out a usable amount of UVB over a longer period of time.

However, they CAN cause eye problems if they are too close. Must be at least 5-6 inches away.

ok, so i gather that the taller jack's cage is the better........its a pretty tall cage, but he spends most of his time at the top, but since he's done growing, i can switch to a 5.0? i just dont want to burn him.......the light sits on top of the cage, on top of the screen.....his cage is about 4 ft tall.

Honestly 5.0 for tropical pets, and 10 for desert. the manufacturers even warn that the use of a higher UV can cause problems so go by the area they live in. If your not getting a ton of UV in deep foliage 1 they need to be able to escape it to photo regulate, and 2 just buy an additional fixture, and put another 5.0 in it. the 10.0 if you bother to look at the UV output on the side has increased levels as opposed to the other one. THERE IS A REASON ZILLA CALLS ON TROPICAL, AND THE OTHER DESERT! they types of uv emitted have different levels in different spots on the spectrum to help the species it is meant for grow like it would in the wild.

I've used both 5.0 and 10.0 reptiGLO bulbs - decent sized cages (about four feet height). Since they cost the same where I was buying them, I bought whatever was available. I cant speak for the reptiSUN 10.0, but the reptiGLO 10.0 caused no issues for me / my chameleons.

REptiglows put out less UVB than reptisuns - the 5.0, and 10.0 means almost nothing between brands.

Reptisun 10.0's are great, as long as your animals can escape the radiation - you would want the same for the basking light. I had put some new 10.0's on my cages a while back, but I moved the branches aroundinside - the basking spot was directly under the bulb - like 3-4 inches. two female veileds went blind within a month or two. Took them months to regain their vision. I moved the branch down a few inches, and the other female has had no symptoms.

All of these produce potentially dangerous radiation - which is good, cause that's what they're supposed to be doing!

IF there was no danger, the bulbs woudl be useless like the vita-lights of old.

hello all,

so i went to the pet store because jack's UV bulb burnt out, and they all told me that he needs to be under a 10.0, not the 5.0 that he's been under......soooooo thats what he's under now, just wondered if too much will hurt him. thanks!!!

HA HA HA HA i thought you were going to say you had 10 males and no females of a certain chameleon!!!! But yeah i dont think he really needs a 10.0 5.0 is good. People recomend 5.0 for younger chams and they need the uvb most cuz they are growing so i dont see how an older cham would need more stuff, they are already full grown.

Back
Top Bottom