*Warning: Graphic photos* Need Help! Don't know What to Do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
that is turely horrific what a sad way to leave this earth RIP little guy, was he put to sleep at the vet? when i seen the post i called the vet here and asked him what the most humane way to put a cham out of there misery would be in his opinion, incase but god forbid somthing like this happen again to someone else...he said wrap it in a small amount of paper towel place it under a car tire and back up and forward one time i was just curious how you guys felt about that?

that is turely horrific what a sad way to leave this earth RIP little guy, was he put to sleep at the vet? when i seen the post i called the vet here and asked him what the most humane way to put a cham out of there misery would be in his opinion, incase but god forbid somthing like this happen again to someone else...he said wrap it in a small amount of paper towel place it under a car tire and back up and forward one time i was just curious how you guys felt about that?

I really don't think I would have the heart/courage to even start the car. :( My opinion. I don't know what I would do if I was in that situation with no vet around. I pray it never happens. Hope he is checking the cham ladies in cham heaven. Poor thing.

i am so tankful i have a 24 hour herp vet 30 mins away so i never have to be in that situation either, i will never be able to get that pic of that poor baby chams injured leg out of my head and i hope no other animal ever has to go through somthing like that.

I would rather put him in the freezer than bash his head with a rock. Less messy and I love reptiles too much too bust his head open .freeze is the way to go for me . I haven't done it yet . Good luck

NO- maybe if you were going 60 mph = that would be a slow crushing death- and what if the poor chammy moved, and you only got 1/2 of him - :( I have had to shoot 2 horses in my life- I LOVE horses - but when you see an animal ( not matter what it is ) in horrific pain- and the vet is hrs away- you have two choices - put yourself first, and dont do it - so you dont have to deal with the pain and guilt of having done it- and let the animal suffer until the vet gets there- or suck it up , and do it - quick and humane - please understand- there was NO CHANCE for these horses - and it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life- it still haunts me to this day - but not doing it- would have haunted me more knowing I would have let these horses suffer any longer than needed because I could not do it- this post is very upsetting - I saw it right after it was posted, and have been MAD and sad about it - no one can prevent everything- things happen ( but really - ?? this is just sad!) , but how you handle it after the fact- do what is right !!

** I want to add, these were NOT my horses- I was called because the owners could not do it-

tell your friend he killed a life, tell him to go repent.

I do not believe comments like this are appropriate. We are here to constructively help and discuss. Accidents do happen, even when you are doing everything you can to provide proper care. Please be more considerate and constructive in the future.

Haven't gone through this whole thread , so i don't know what the outcome is or was...

But freezing a chameleon is the equivalent of being left for dead, with no clothes in the Arctic circle.... Its gonna be a long painful death... You may not have the heart to crush it, but it would be a much less painful death to crush the animal with a brick or rock.

Its probably already been said but Im saying it again..

Guys, Thanks for all your consideration and input and everything. I really truly appreciate this. However, I just got back from the vet and well he's gone. He couldn't make it. Oh man, It's just heart breaking to see him lying there. Thanks you guys really.

sorry to here this, at least you took him to the vet to give a chance.
Amazed how many peoples first reaction is but him to sleep. Surely that's as loser resort no matter how bad?

I'm so sorry:( That little dude could have lived a great life. Hope he's up in chameleon heaven catching insects with his cham girlfriend.
I advise your friend to have a change of mind. We DO NOT buy pets just because they are cool. We have to dedicate ourselves to our pets.
So, so sad...

This kind of thing makes me sick, I couldnt even look at pics in full inlargement.
I dont know all the circumstances here, but this is mostly the result of carelessness.
It's really sad to think of how many other animals have suffered similar faits from immature people who loose intrest after the 'novelty' wheres off.
I'm not saying that is the case here, because I dont know any of the facts, but we all know how much of this abuse goes on.

Also, why would someone keep a cat in the same room with a little lizzard ?

This makes me sick to my stomach, I could only look at one photo to know I didn't want to see any more, it just breaks my heart......this is why pet stores or any other site that sells these reptiles, should always know about the experience with chameleons that the buyers have, I know it would be hard to do, but something should be done so people like that can not buy any type of animal they have no knowledge with.

Wow this is just so disturbing in many ways, he's about the same size as my little guy and I would HATE for my cats to get to him, but that is why he stays in his enclosure, or if I do take him out I make sure he stays on me or that cats are up in a room. Same thing with my chinchilla.. So what is an acceptable way to euthanize the little ones? I mean... wrap a bag and slam against a wall or a large rock? How is that better than the running over part? There's got to be something that isn't horribly damaging to both the owner and the cham... A medicine you could pick up at a local drug store for pain?...something?!

what happened to that baby cham makes me sick..... im not a squimish person, never been disturbed by blood or anything, always been able to deal with a serious accident without freaking out but those pictures and knowing that that person was so careless to leave a defenseless baby where a cat could get to it makes me want to vomit..... i am appauled.. i cant believe someone would do that.. thats so messed up...
im glad that baby didnt suffer long and that you tried to help him.. i would tell your friend NEVER to get another exotic pet.. he obviously does not have the knowledge to care for it and its wrong to allow a defenseless animal be torn apart because you didnt care for it properly......

That makes me sick!
What kind of sick, careless, disgusting excuse for a human being lets that happen to ANY living thing!?!
The owner should be "played" with by a tiger! People like that disgust me!

I commend you for trying to save the poor darling. I'm sorry that the poor baby didn't make it....:(

Yes, this is awful, yes this is a terrible thing, yes it is gross. That being said...I've seen worse. And my cats go into my chameleon room all the time. That is not irresponsible. the fact that the chameleon was out of the cage where a cat could get to it was the irresponsible part. this thread is good for several reasons actually:

The debate on freezing for euthanasia has been very thorough and brought to light a lot of excellent points. Freezing is NOT ACCEPTABLE because it is NOT humane regardless of what you may think on your own. Scientific studies have been done to prove that they are not completely anesthetized by the time crystallization of tissues starts to cause pain. Mammal or not, the pain process is still there and it is our duty to not cause any additional pain to our animals, even though it may be harder or more expensive to pursue better methods. Do not sacrifice your animals for your emotional convenience. Take it to a vet if you can't handle it so it is done correctly.

Cat bites are very serious injuries. That leg probably could have been amputated successfully when it first happened and this chameleon gone on to live a relatively normal life. But putting aside the wound, cat bites have a second component. What is often worse than the injury itself is that cat saliva has a lot of very nasty bacteria in it and the secondary infection that comes with even a tiny cat bite can be enough to cause death by itself. A cat bite can kill a totally healthy bird in less than 48 hours just from the bacterial infection. If a dog bites a person in the vet field you clean it up and let it heal. If a cat bites a person you go straight to the emergency room or urgent care because you have to be on antibiotics as soon as possible! Just to highlight what a little bacteria can do to bigger organisms. So they are serious injuries in reptiles as well. This little guy didn't stand a chance by the time this picture was taken because I can tell that wound is not fresh.

How anyone can think it's not a big deal to have the bones of a leg showing is beyond me. But I've actually seen wounds like this before that people thought would heal. I've even seen organs exposed from body wounds in reptiles that people don't realize is life threatening.

I think the point has been made this mistake was completely irresponsible and the cham definitely suffered for its owner's stupidity. I'm glad he is in a better place now.

that is HORRIBLE!!!! i started looking and had to quit and i still cant get the image of that leg out of my mind!!! i wish the "Graphic Warning" had been on there in the beginning!!!!! then i would never have looked!!!!

I agree with Dayna completely as well.
I have not seen animals in the bad of condition (thank my lucky stars) but I have seen people in horrid conditions that still haunt me to this day.

Dayna: thank you for giving me a valid argument to never ever own a cat ;)

It breaks my heart that people are so ignorant!!!:(:(:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom