Veiled chameleon

DBDEAN

Veiled chameleon - possibly SICK - please help

9 month old chameleon.

He(or she) seems to be hanging out at the bottom of the cage alot lately. Not sure why. He doesnt seem to pursue his food like he used to.

Bit of background.

He was purchased by my sons school as a classroom pet. Over the school year he became increasingly stressed out to the point where he would hiss at everyone who tried to touch him and completely freak out. We had limited interaction in the fist place, knowing that chameleons do not handle well. But he seemed to be getting worse. BUT - his color and eating habits were good.

tall enclosure with some coverage and vines. The water drip system always seemed to be over flowing the dishes below it and soaking the whole cage floor. I used to have an exoterra carpet on the floor - which would get nasty and dirty and have an inch of water if I didnt come to school and clean it every other day. Note I do not work at the school. Its a small church sponsored school where I ended up having to take time off of work and go and care for animals.

Because of the constant overflowing of water and the stress of the chameleon - I took it home. I asked the breeder that the school got him from - what I could do about the water overflowing in the bottom of the tank etc. He recommended I put reptile wood chips (same I use for my snake) in the bottom. This seems to work well as they absorb the water well and then dry out - keeping the tank at a regulated temperature and humidity.

I added more climbing vines and pho-plants for camoflauge for him to hid in. THe additional vines, lack of school children and lots of hiding spots seems to have really helped him.

He got more friendly and didnt freak when my hand came near him to clean cage (note I am not holding him - no one does)...but he does not spazz out any longer when I try to clean the cage. (he would puff up, hiss, put his little horns on his head up).

Anyway, today I went in to clean the cage and mist and I noticed him at the bottom of the tank. I picked him up to move him up high to I could clear out the wood chips...and his belly felt slimmy and he seems cool to the touch.

I admit I do not have a thermoter in the tank or a humidity thing in tank - but till this week he seemed healthy and active, since taking him home. Not sure what is up.

I also observed him drinking water from the bottom of the tank where the water drips into a bowl. I thought chameleons didnt drinks tanding water. that worries me. I emptied bowl and cleaned it...because he goes to the bathroom in it. I dont know why he is drinking standing water when I mist several times a day and have a dripper system.

I am a novice at this and I am doing the best I can do. Please dont jump all over me. Just need help.

My ball python is strong and has a great tank as well and doesnt seem to be suffering from any issues. Same with my bunny - five bantum chickens, 2 cats, 1 dog and the steer and lamb on the 4H farm. All my animals are well cared for and healthy except the chameleon - what am I doing wrong?

I know chameleons are a bit more tricky...guidance MUCH appreciated.

9 month old chameleon.

He(or she) seems to be hanging out at the bottom of the cage alot lately. Not sure why. He doesnt seem to pursue his food like he used to.

Bit of background.

He was purchased by my sons school as a classroom pet. Over the school year he became increasingly stressed out to the point where he would hiss at everyone who tried to touch him and completely freak out. We had limited interaction in the fist place, knowing that chameleons do not handle well. But he seemed to be getting worse. BUT - his color and eating habits were good.

tall enclosure with some coverage and vines. The water drip system always seemed to be over flowing the dishes below it and soaking the whole cage floor. I used to have an exoterra carpet on the floor - which would get nasty and dirty and have an inch of water if I didnt come to school and clean it every other day. Note I do not work at the school. Its a small church sponsored school where I ended up having to take time off of work and go and care for animals.

Because of the constant overflowing of water and the stress of the chameleon - I took it home. I asked the breeder that the school got him from - what I could do about the water overflowing in the bottom of the tank etc. He recommended I put reptile wood chips (same I use for my snake) in the bottom. This seems to work well as they absorb the water well and then dry out - keeping the tank at a regulated temperature and humidity.

I added more climbing vines and pho-plants for camoflauge for him to hid in.

He got more friendly and didnt freak when my hand came near him to clean cage (not I am not holding him - no one does)...but he does not spazz out any longer when I try to clean the cage.

Anyway, today I went in to clean the cage and mist and I noticed him at the bottom of the tank. I picked him up to move him up high to I could clear out the wood chips...and his belly felt slimmy and he seems cool to the touch.

I admit I do not have a thermoter in the tank or a humidity thing in tank - but till this week he seemed healthy and active, since taking him home. Not sure what is up.

I also observed him drinking water from the bottom of the tank where the water drips into a bowl. I thought chameleons didnt drinks tanding water. that worries me. I emptied bowl and cleaned it...because he goes to the bathroom in it. I dont know why he is drinking standing water when I mist several times a day and have a dripper system.

I am a novice at this and I am doing the best I can do. Please dont jump all over me. Just need help.

My ball python is strong and has a great tank as well and doesnt seem to be suffering from any issues. Same with my bunny - five bantum chickens, 2 cats, 1 dog and the steer and lamb on the 4H farm. All my animals are well cared for and healthy except the chameleon - what am I doing wrong?

I know chameleons are a bit more tricky...guidance MUCH appreciated.

Oh wow. I won't jump all over YOU, as you are trying to help and didn't put this poor guy in that situation, but just about everything is wrong with how he's being kept. I can't imagine a worse classroom pet than a veiled chameleon! But, all this means there are a lot of possibilities for what is wrong with him.

He could be suffering from some nutritional deficiencies, but without knowing what he was fed, what supplement and vitamin dusts were used it is impossible to say for sure. Also, his habitat could cause all sorts of problems...respiratory infections, chilling, overheating, etc. BTW, a lizard that hasn't been basking or has been wet will feel cool to the touch, because your hand is a lot warmer (98.6 or a bit less) than the lizard would be.

I think the easiest thing to do is get him into a better setup, correct his diet, and see how he reacts to that change. For a great explanation of what chams need, please read the husbandry article under the forum's "resources" tab. I think you'll see pretty quickly what needs to change.

Note - he no longer is a class room pet. He sits in the corner of my living room. There is some natural light that gets to him during the day from the window - but I make sure it doesnt get to hot. Note that we live in south san francisco and the temp around here is regularly between 60 and 75 most of the year. I read through the enclosure set up and I have alot of what I am supposed to have (with the exception of no substrata and the thermometer/humidty meter)

His tank is 24” x 18” x 36" with a screen top the front is vented (all though its class - this is where the doors are). Three other walls are are class.

The UV and basking lights are outside and on top of his tank.

basking temp is in the 80s last time I checked.
ambient temp is in low 70s during day and 64 at night (which is what we keep our home at).

I use a "little dripper" with filtered water at the top of his tank. I also mist it 2 times a day. I am having problems with the little dripper system as it either drips to fast or not at all.

I will remove the water dish from his tank and the substrata.

I feed him crickets. I tried introducing meal worms but he ignorned them completely. Crickets are gutloaded and I also dust them in calcium every other week.

You should dust the crickets with calcium without d3 every feeding and with d3 twice a month and vitamins twice a month

I ran home and checked on him. He was roaming around fine. Looked better. I took out the water bowl and made sure it was clean. I havent removed the forest floor substrata yet as thats a bigger clean up job then I could do on a lunch break). Washed all the leaves again. The substrata gets replaced once a week to make sure its clean.

I will add calcium more regularly to his diet and also get a temp and humidty gage.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150728_123737.jpg
    20150728_123737.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 20150728_123746.jpg
    20150728_123746.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 254
  • 20150728_123808.jpg
    20150728_123808.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 314
  • 20150728_123830.jpg
    20150728_123830.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 20150728_123845.jpg
    20150728_123845.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 236
Welcome to the forums. This is a great place to get help with your chameleon. Please post a photo of your chameleon. You could have a female with eggs. Here a link to how I recommend keeping veileds.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html
More great info here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

I purchased this chameleon in september as a baby. It hasnt been near any other chameleons...could it still have eggs?

I purchased this chameleon in september as a baby. It hasnt been near any other chameleons...could it still have eggs?

Yes, they lay eggs without a male even being around and if nit provided with the proper laying bin will become egg bound and die. Male's have a bump called a spur on the heels of both back feet. Females don't have the bump. Also their colors a different and the male has a taller casque. Post a better photos when you can.

Also - he is darker in this photo because I took away all his leaves and hiding stuff to wash them at lunch. He goes from bright green to this darker color through out the day. He blends with the leaves very well. Hard to find alot of the time.

Is it possible he was just chilling at the bottom because he felt like it?

Yes, they lay eggs without a male even being around and if nit provided with the proper laying bin will become egg bound and die. Male's have a bump called a spur on the heels of both back feet. Females don't have the bump. Also their colors a different and the male has a taller casque. Post a photos if you can.

I posted photos above. Can you see them?

attachment.php

This picture taken a few months ago.

Attachments

• 11083876_10152736359216444_9162255488233990146_n.jpg
    11083876_10152736359216444_9162255488233990146_n.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 291
Could be male or female from that photo but the legs don't show signs of MBD. When you get home check his back feet.

I will check his back legs tonight. Kids named him/her Pascal and assumed its a boy (of course - house with three sons). Sorry to seem so frantic. I really care about my pets. And also apolgize for seeming so defensive.

My sons found a coastal garter snake injured and stuck in a coke bottle. They brought it home to me. I set up a terrium for it and did research. Found out WHAT it was (they brought home a snake not even knowing if it was dangerous.... that was a whole other discussion).

Anyway. I set up a terrarium and nurse it back to health. Aftre three months it starts refusing love food. I try all sorts of things and then post to a garter snake forum like this one.

Immediatly I got attacked because I should be using forest floor bedding not exoterra. Another says NO - it must be newspaper. Another has another viewpoint. All think I am doing it wrong and their way is right (which all differ). It was alot to deal with. In the end...she was pregnant. I ending up with a baby snake. I kept her through the winter (even though she couldnt be handled). Released her to the wild in June. The baby snake was a single snake for what should have been a litter of at least 5. Dont know why others werent born. Live birth. Anyway...I worked for 5 months teaching that thing to hunt - only to have it die from a parasite from a feeder fish...

I try hard to give my animals best possible enclosures. But our budget is tight. The chameleon cage isnt perfect, I know. A screened in one would be better - but I dont have the 100 bucks right now to buy a new one. I try to keep it vented and stable. Any low cost tips are most welcome.

Could be male or female from that photo but the legs don't show signs of MBD. When you get home check his back feet.

Confirmed when I got home that he's male. Purchased multivitamin and calcium with D3. Dusted crickets and served them. He went right to hunting. Also purchased a gutloadimg jelly with calcium on it. Before I was just feeding crickets fruits and veggies added calcium jelly to it.

Confirmed when I got home that he's male. Purchased multivitamin and calcium with D3. Dusted crickets and served them. He went right to hunting. Also purchased a gutloadimg jelly with calcium on it. Before I was just feeding crickets fruits and veggies added calcium jelly to it.

DB, welcome to the site. What is this jelly that you speak of? Very interested.

Not sure of this is the brand I bought but it's pretty similar.

http://m.petco.com/product/109787/Zilla-Gut-Load-Cricket-Drink-with-Calcium.aspx

Those jelly bites are just a better substitute for having water, they're designed to help keep your crickets from drowning. I think you where better off with the veggies, if they eat too much of the water gel they may not eat as much. You have plenty of great advice here, I suggest you refine your knowledge with the care sheets , I know they helped me. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom