Update on Ryker's Eye and Vet Trip next week

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I think the halogen did some damage to Ryker's eye. He hasn't been squinting it the last two days but he isn't tracking prey very much at all unless he really concentrates with that eye. Even when he focuses with his other eye the problem eye won't focus with it. He's missing his targets pretty regularly. So I am worried there is damage in his other eye as well. I am planning on making a vet appointment for next week. Can't make it for this week, too late, but they will see me next week and I will ask mom to loan me the money and I'll pay her back with my first check. I am worried though, his eyes work fine in the respect that they rotate and close great. There is no bulging or discharge. But if I have to put anything in his eyes it's going to be near impossible. His eyes close so well and they are impossible to open forcefully. I am not all that sure what he can and can't see. I think out of the bad eye he seeing larger movements and things coming toward him. His other eye sees finer details. What should I ask the vet about?

So I got a vet appointment for 3pm on Monday. It'll be nice to get everything looked at. Hopefully everything will go well and we will get this sorted and his vision can be saved.

So Ryker has light sensitivity in his bad eye. His pupil is more constricted than the other one too. He's getting better about squinting, he hasn't squinted in two days. He has continuously been able to track prey with both eyes, but when using his bad eye he has to really focus. He isn't resting his legs as much, I haven't seen him do it for about 3 days, I took him into the vet today, his legs are apparently healing from MBD, he has very minor bowing in the back tibia. I am continuing to give him liquid calcium for at least 3 more months. I won't be able to do a blood test for a while because it costs 150 dollars at my vet and I gotta save up for that. Today's appointment only cost 55 dollars however it was nice ^^ He's pouting and looking much better, I like that he got grumpy and gave some attitude, shows that he doing better. He also gained 25 grams since he last saw her, on her scale, which is great seems like the parasite treatment last time worked. He's shedding at the moment and I need to give him a nice long shower to help him along because he's taking a while to do it. I added an extra misting session. His urates are a beautiful white. I am hoping when I have new silkworms in transition and he can't eat the worms at the time, his urates will still stay beautiful. I'm hoping his eye will come back completely, he doesn't fall however and can still hunt so even if it doesn't he can still function well. My vet was so surprised to hear that a halogen had caused it. Could it just be the type I used?

So Ryker has light sensitivity in his bad eye. His pupil is more constricted than the other one too. He's getting better about squinting, he hasn't squinted in two days. He has continuously been able to track prey with both eyes, but when using his bad eye he has to really focus. He isn't resting his legs as much, I haven't seen him do it for about 3 days, I took him into the vet today, his legs are apparently healing from MBD, he has very minor bowing in the back tibia. I am continuing to give him liquid calcium for at least 3 more months. I won't be able to do a blood test for a while because it costs 150 dollars at my vet and I gotta save up for that. Today's appointment only cost 55 dollars however it was nice ^^ He's pouting and looking much better, I like that he got grumpy and gave some attitude, shows that he doing better. He also gained 25 grams since he last saw her, on her scale, which is great seems like the parasite treatment last time worked. He's shedding at the moment and I need to give him a nice long shower to help him along because he's taking a while to do it. I added an extra misting session. His urates are a beautiful white. I am hoping when I have new silkworms in transition and he can't eat the worms at the time, his urates will still stay beautiful. I'm hoping his eye will come back completely, he doesn't fall however and can still hunt so even if it doesn't he can still function well. My vet was so surprised to hear that a halogen had caused it. Could it just be the type I used?

What kind of halogen was it? I dont see how a Halogen could cause that.

I dont know that I would use that light as its 2700k so kind of useless basking aside.

That said, that bulb is only 360 lumens, no way that would hurt a chams eyes. Look at the jungle dawn LED spots. They get ton of god reviews around here and they produce 4000 lumens. That is 10x as much, no way that bulb caused this issue.

Could it be a Vitamin A issue? Or could of got something in its eye, or just a issue that was going to happen.

I use preformed vitamin A and the issue started to get better after I removed the halogen

I use preformed vitamin A and the issue started to get better after I removed the halogen

Likely something in there eye then, or a genetic thing, and a coincidence. That light simply is not bright enough to cause that issue. There is no difference between a halogen and a regular incandescent in regards to light effecting eyes.

Try putting the light back and see if it happens again. I bet it does not, if it does. It could be the K rating of the light that is the issue not the fact its a halogen. The 2700k rating means that light has alot more infrared in it then say a 6500k. Chameleons can see infrared, though lots of people use 660k leds in there cages without issue.

If it's genetic I'd be surprised, he's a Kammer's baby. And if it was something in the eye what would cause the light sensitivity?

If it's genetic I'd be surprised, he's a Kammer's baby. And if it was something in the eye what would cause the light sensitivity?

Not really light sensitivity, just eye sensitivity in general. Though something in your eye could defiantly cause damage to your eye and its nerves and cause a light sensitivity issue, temporarily or permanently.

Ever had a Black Eye? A really bad one? Your vision in that eye turns very red, and lights do make it hurt. Just one example.

Idk

I most likely will not use halogens with him ever again. I just don't feel safe enough. I know what you say could be true, but there's always a possibility for him to have something different about him.

Idk

I most likely will not use halogens with him ever again. I just don't feel safe enough. I know what you say could be true, but there's always a possibility for him to have something different about him.

the issue at hand is not whats different about him. Its what different about halogens. There is no scientific way that a halogen would affect him in any way differently than a Incandescent. A halogen is a incandescent, it uses a different type of gas, in it and a different method. But light is light and 2600k is 2600k no matter what bulb it comes from.

2600k may be the problem, I am not sure. We had a case where the spiral CFL UVB lights were causing issues with chameleons eyes. However this was not due to it being a spiral, but the wavelength of light was different.

2600k is a strange color for a Incandescent or halogen, and that may have been the issue. AFAIK most are 4100k or so.

Maybe the it was the wavelength o.o, idk it's not a halogen specifically made for reptiles or anything.

Back
Top Bottom