The Full Effect of Ficus on Chameleons

Bio123

I want to start a thread to discuss the ficus controversy. Many things about Ficus plants should be considered for the chameleons safety. Recently, I found that Ficus sap increases metabolism, which also leads to salivation. As known, ficus sap also irritates, and possibly blinds, chameleons. Does anyone want to add to this. We should discuss on whether Ficus should or shouldn't be in chameleon cages.

Here's an outline for anyone that needs it.

Side: (for or against)
Reasoning: (why you support your side)
Proof: (links or facts supporting your reasoning)

I hope we get this resolved!:D

I dont know about the claims of increased metabolism when ingesting ficus is proven. But I used to use ficus yrs ago in my enclosures. I stopped using them and I havent had any eye issues since. That is enough proof for me not to use them any longer. I still use the long leafed ficus but not the variegated or ficus benjamina any longer.

I'm with Texaspantherman... I used ficus bengimina years ago and expirienced eye issuses with several chams... Switched to ficus Ali and have not had eye problems since

I have a ficus benjamina in pedros viv.
Hes fine.
But also I look for said sap but I cant find any.
Suggestions on how to find it??

I have been using ficus in my indoor cages for years and no problems. I use it with my baby's and sub adults.

Same here. Inside, outside, for babies and adults of many species. They say if you trim them to let them dry for a day or two. Well, I have never done that and still have not had a problem.

For those who had eye issues years ago and not anymore. Was it diagnosed that the ficus indeed caused the issues? I am not trying to question what happened to you guys. I am only asking because there are lots of other things that can cause issues. If your problems were "back in the day":p then could have been possible different supplements, different way of gutloading or some other nutritional issue caused the eye problems? I know from my first chameleon to know my overall husbandry has been tuned in much better all the way around. Also, were the same supplements available when you guys were having these problems?

This is interesting, as one of my chams had a problem with a severely swollen eye. The vet was stumped, and nothing seemed to help....except time. Its been around 3 weeks now and his eye is almost back to normal. The funny thing is, a day or two before the problem showed up(literally over night), I did a major trim job on his ficus, and there was a LOT of sap around. I It never dawned on me, until now, that the sap could have been the problem.

If you have a chameleon that is a bit of a brute, breaking the twigs and such of a fiscus, it will bleed a white sap. This sap can irritate eyes.

I had a female who would constantly snap branches, rip leaves etc and I therefore removed the fiscus benj and gave her other plants to destroy instead.

But I have the same fiscus in a males cage now. He is a gentle chameleon, walking slowly and carefully, and generally using the larger vines and branches that I've run through the fiscus for most of his weight. He doesnt break twigs, doesnt eat leaves, so no sap, so no potential eye issues.

in holland almost every cham has ficus benjamina and their are almost no incidents here with the sap and some chams(not mine) take a bite of the leafs but never have any kind of injury's from it.

But we have it on our seva list of save plant for in the viv''s and my chams never had problems with the benjamina's in any kind of way.

This is our saveplant list hope you van do something with it.
http://www.de-kvn.nl/content/downloads/dekvn-plantenlijst.pdf

Saps

Here's the short and to the point:
Safe Ficus incude:
F. benjamina ("weeping fig")
F. elastica (aka: robusta, decora "rubber tree")
F. sycomorus
F. maclellandi (aka alii "willow-leaved fig")
F. 'Amstel King'

I would recommend avoiding the following which all have been cited in animal poisonings:
F. nekbudu (aka: utilis "Zulu fig")
F. lyrata ("fiddle-leaved fig")
F. pumila (aka: repens, "the creeping fig").

Certain people develop an allergic reaction to fig sap. It is wise to portect your skin and eyes when pruning figs.

Don different protection if you plan on stirring the pot.

For my references you can look at my bookshelf post here.

Last edited:
I like all the bromeliads and were those bean sprouts at the bottom? I bury beans in the dirt sometimes for my veileds. They grow fast

I like all the bromeliads and were those bean sprouts at the bottom? I bury beans in the dirt sometimes for my veileds. They grow fast

So, as you have already been made aware, you are posting on a thread that is 9 years old. None of the members in this thread are still active. You will not get many answers this way. You will do much better asking things in new threads of your own where you can mention the previous thread. Just a suggestion.

So, as you have already been made aware, you are posting on a thread that is 9 years old. None of the members in this thread are still active. You will not get many answers this way. You will do much better asking things in new threads of your own where you can mention the previous thread. Just a suggestion.
My bad I was reading this older post as i often do with all the great info in these archive's . This post was ment for a thread that James posted a pic of his enclosure before and after it had been taken down on. I was wondering where this post went lol thought it diddnt go thru. I'll be more careful with having multiple tabs open to avoid any confusion thanks. :)

I dont know about the claims of increased metabolism when ingesting ficus is proven. But I used to use ficus yrs ago in my enclosures. I stopped using them and I havent had any eye issues since. That is enough proof for me not to use them any longer. I still use the long leafed ficus but not the variegated or ficus benjamina any longer.
So what ficus should we stay away from exactly and what is ok would it be possible for you to post some pictures of them please that will help me a lot.

So what ficus should we stay away from exactly and what is ok would it be possible for you to post some pictures of them please that will help me a lot.
That member hasn’t been on since 2014, so doubtful you’ll get an answer. For safe plants, there are a few different lists that most of us go by. Of course, if you have a plant nibbling veiled, some plants aren’t good to use. I prefer to err on the side of caution. Hopefully these will help you. :)
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/
https://e676fed4c2.clvaw-cdnwnd.com...on Not Recommended Plants-3.pdf?ph=e676fed4c2
https://e676fed4c2.clvaw-cdnwnd.com...3bc80/Chameleon-Safe Plants.pdf?ph=e676fed4c2
https://caskabove.com/chameleon-safe-plants

Back
Top Bottom