Soaker hose for vines

Action Jackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I building a large outdoor cage and have a few big ficus branches I've been saving to put in there but I need more pathways.

Has anyone used soaker hose for vines or have an opinion on using them? I am concerned that they are made of rubber and may have on them or leach out some kind of toxic residue.

If in doubt don't use? they are a very soft rubber however they do seem to last forever I've had one for years and it hasn't seemed to break down much at all so ?? It is an awesome idea though!

u6gpx.jpg

I am trying them in two cages at the moment. So far so good.

I use them in some of my cages.
People use them all the time on their vegetable gardens. Maybe you should check with organic gardeners and see if they have any misgivings about them?

I use them. While I like the use of natural branches, they degrade over time. Soaker hose lasts a bit longer, as do bio-vines. The soaker hose works good in shaded areas outdoors. Black hose will absorb heat on sunny days, so best to use with, or together with plants, trees, and branches.

Last edited:
I use them. While I like the use of natural branches, they degrade over time. Soaker hose lasts a bit longer, as do bio-vines. The soaker hose works good in shaded areas outdoors. Black hose will absorb heat on sunny days, so best to use with, or together with plants, trees, and branches.
nice cham steve!! :D good luck Craig! you guys just gave me the idea:D

Bought some soaker hose as well and then found this thread. It has been a while since anyone has put any follow up info on the success of this being used. Any problems with it or ok to use? Thanks

Not sure if baby chameleons teeth like a human baby does, but my guy likes gnawing on the soaker hose like a bulldog on a bone. He hasn't had any problems from doing so either and I've had it in there for quite some time. i.e. ingesting/impaction/toxicity ect.

I would not use a soaker hose if your chameleon is apt to chew on / ingest the material. I absolutely would not use it plumbed in for watering.

They do give off /leach toxic substances. No organic food gardener would ever use them. I use them on my flower beds, but never on the food growing areas.

There is a reason you have to buy a special hose (white or eggplant coloured, or steel braid) for drinking water for RVs and such. A regular garden hose, typically made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and brass ends, contains harmful lead and phthalates that leech out; they are not meant for drinking from!
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012...-water-study-warns-drinking-from-garden-hose/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/21/study-finds-garden-hose-water-dangerous_n_1615774.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom