Shedding A Lot

MyChamMelvin

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled Male. almost a year old now.
Handling - Every once in a while, once a week or so
Feeding - gutloaded and dusted in calcium with D3 and without D3 on a regular schedule. without d3 is every time I feed him. with d3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month. I feed him daily
Supplements - minerall
Watering - Dripper, mist bottles. drip all day mist four times a day. He drinks regularly
Fecal Description - Brown and full little poops

Cage Info:
Cage Type - mesh zip up cage more than 3 ft tall and wide and a foot and a half deep.
Lighting - uv light and heat lamp. 12 on 12 off
Temperature - 75-90 depending on where he is in the cage
Humidity - misting a lot and dripper, 80 % or higher
Plants - pothos, and he likes to snack on it
Placement - in my bedroom away from everything. I am not there very often. the top of his cage is about 5ft from the floor.
Location - idaho

Current Problem - My chameleon Zed has been shedding a lot recently. He just finished a shed that followed another shed within a couple days. He is always really cranky when he is shedding (who wouldn't be). But I am just making sure that it is normal. I take him out of his cage to clean it, but when he sheds he hisses all the time and strikes out at me when I come near him. he is quite the cranky man, and I am getting tired of him being cranky from shedding virtually all the time. He especially hates mistings, but he has to get over it because it helps him ( I don't spray him directly either). Thanks in advanced!

It is normal for them to shed a lot when they are younger. And I'm sorry to say but when they become juveniles, around 6-12 months chameleons (especially veileds) have huge mood swings and tend to be cranky. At least this is the norm. My panther Ryker went through this but it was very mild compared to most chams. Sometimes they go back to normal as they get older and sometimes they just stay cranky. It depends on how much you work with them and their personality.

Your cage however is not big enough for a cham that size. You want it to be 4 feet tall at least, the width is fine and the depth should be two feet. What are you feeding him? And how do his urates look?

My little guy is going through the same thing at the moment. He finished a shed 2 weeks ago and is now going through another one. He is also a year old. Fortunately he is still pretty easy going but I am sure that will change at some point lol.

Chameleon Info:

Humidity - misting a lot and dripper, 80 % or higher

Way too high. Veileds are not from the rainforest and this high of humidity can lead to respiratory infections and other health issues.

That aside, I would make sure you hand feed him and take him outside. Having him associate your hand with good things helps, but many veileds stay cranky and mean.

Back
Top Bottom