School Project: Habitat Automation

zippity

Good evening. I am working with a team at the University of New Hampshire to try to make a start-up company. Our first product is a system that will allow a pet owner (specifically for a pet who dwells in some sort of enclosure) to set schedules and target parameters for their pets’ habitat. For example, one could set separate daytime and nighttime temperature and humidity targets, as well as have things like a mister run on a schedule that can change based on day of the week, month, or other parameter.

Our system will monitor the environment (minimally the temperature and humidity of the basking area, mid-gradient, and far-gradient), and control things like misters and heat bulbs based on those sensors. The current information can be viewed and everything can be controlled and set from the web or on your phone.

I am hoping to get feedback on this product so that I can make it fit what you guys want, and what our pets need. No information is shared or sold, and we only ask for name and email to prove to our professor that the responses are real.

Survey Monkey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HBN9BH2

If you have any questions or comments, please let me know. Thank you in advance!

So you are asking on how to set up a proper environment for a chameleon? If so, which species are you thinking about keeping as most requires different temps, humidity, etc.

Like a herpstat 4 http://www.spyderrobotics.com/products/herpstat_4.html but can be controlled and monitored with a cell phone?

Sounds cool.

Very similar, yes. The improvements we are trying to make include making the system configurable from a web page ( LCD displays can show a very limited amount of info at a time ), make the system expandable ( so you don't have to buy a new controller for each set-up, just more sensors ), and make it highly configurable ( settings can change based on time of day, month, year, etc. ).

I've been wanting to build something like this for myself for a while, but as my senior project I've been awarded a grant to work on it. :D

Since we are still so early in the build, we're trying to find out what people would like to see from it in terms of features and capabilities.

That sounds awesome! I'd personally like a setup like that, but not for vivariums. Instead, to monitor and control my incubators. Temp and humidity sensors for each egg box, live monitoring while I'm away, notification on my phone if certain settable parameters are breached or if power is interrupted. Programmable for night drop, and battery backup to save settings in case of power outage.

Sounds like your system could do that with the right sensors, am I right?

Thank you for the input! The battery back-up may not be covered, but our system can be made to function as you described.

Here is a product that can do what you are proposing. Although this is marketed to the Aquarium Industry, it can also have a humidity module added to it to adjust and respond to levels.

It is web based if you want it to be and although the head unit is LCD, as you can see you can hook up a touch pad controller screen to control it via that method.

It is also fully capable of responding to the climate status anywhere in the world.

If I input GPS coordinates of Fiji for example (for my reef tank), it will control heaters and chillers to keep water temps the exact as there. In addition, it will even tell the LED's when to simulate a storm in my tank if there is one going overhead there in Fiji.

So for our applications, I could tell it to maintain whatever parameter I want. Heat, humidity, rainfall totals, etc....

Good luck with the Grant and keep us posted!

Take a look at APEX controllers, they make one for aquariums, they keep track of parameters, can controls other companies devices, sends you emails in case of troubles, can hook up a camera and see your aquarium when you are away, you can control your aquarium when you are away, has sensors to detect leaks, turn on heaters, coolers, fans, lights, filters, it has advanced programming, even warns you if the power goes out (you need a battery backup for this), controls ph for calcium reactors, i know i forgot some other stuff, this controller is incredible

Sana

That sounds awesome! I'd personally like a setup like that, but not for vivariums. Instead, to monitor and control my incubators. Temp and humidity sensors for each egg box, live monitoring while I'm away, notification on my phone if certain settable parameters are breached or if power is interrupted. Programmable for night drop, and battery backup to save settings in case of power outage.

This is exactly what im looking for!

zippity - That sounds like a pretty sweet setup that I bet a lot of people would be interested in. If any of us here on chameleon forums can help, let us know.

I'd be looking for all the features Mike pointed out. A battery back up is a MUST for this type of product. If Im controlling lets say 10 zones and had to reprogram the unit in the event of a power failure that would be a major PIA. I would not buy a controller that didn't have this feature.

Carl

Mike and Carl,

As mentioned above, what you are looking for exists already. I mentioned the Profilux, another member posted the APEX, and there are many others that are as basic or advanced as you want that are made for the aquarium industry.

Shoot me a note if I can point you in the right direction while this gentlemen is working on his.

I'd be looking for all the features Mike pointed out. A battery back up is a MUST for this type of product. If Im controlling lets say 10 zones and had to reprogram the unit in the event of a power failure that would be a major PIA. I would not buy a controller that didn't have this feature.

Carl

Carl

When I say that there is no battery backup, I am thinking of one of those power supplies that stay on when the power goes out. But if you are referring to non-volatile memory for settings and such, then that should be doable.

Again, thank you all for the input. I was unaware of the APEX controller, I'll look into that. It'll take a while, but I'll keep this updated with progress. All input is helpful, so if you can share the survey with other reptile owners it would be extremely helpful.

Mike and Carl,

As mentioned above, what you are looking for exists already.

Thank you. The Apex Jr. looks like it will do what I need at a good price point. I'm partial to anything made in Germany like the Proflux, but that one is overkill for what us herpers need.

Truly what we need is a controller similar to these but optimized for the herp market. I think the OP is onto something. Like a Herpstat on steroids.

But if you are referring to non-volatile memory for settings and such, then that should be doable.

Yes, that is what we need. I have an older Biostat DP that just resets to a default after a power blip. Unfortunately, the default is about 10 degrees higher than I want my eggs, so that is a disaster waiting to happen if I'm not around to reset it every time.

Mike and Carl,

As mentioned above, what you are looking for exists already. I mentioned the Profilux, another member posted the APEX, and there are many others that are as basic or advanced as you want that are made for the aquarium industry.

Shoot me a note if I can point you in the right direction while this gentlemen is working on his.

Bobby I know Profilux well. I currently use one of their controllers on a planted freshwater tank.

Carl

Bobby I know Profilux well. I currently use one of their controllers on a planted freshwater tank.

Carl

Another Sickness we share. I use all GHL products on my SPS tank...

They are a pain in the rear to get programmed sometimes, but once dialed in, flawless.....

I tried the survey monkey link and it is still active, so maybe they are still working on it.

I am actually working on a research project right now for this type of system. I am wiring a temp/humidity sensor, a motion sensor, and a lux sensor up to a Raspberry Pi and coding it to turn lights on and off and mist according to the data. I will have a web server on it that will display the data and an alert system that will email the user with a warning for low temp/humidity and if the light needs to be replaced.

I will be posting updates, successes, and failures on this site....

http://techhunter0.wix.com/nannycham

Wish me luck! I am really excited to do this for my son's cham, Suse, he is a grandbaby from Jann.

I read somewhere neptune was making one of these but your will be specific for Chameleons or just herps in general?

Back
Top Bottom