Reptisun 5.0 18" vs 24 " bulb

Ryan Jarosek

I have a new baby Ambanja about 2 months old. He is in a 24"L x 12"W x 24"H screen enclosure. I purchased a reptisun 5.0 bulb for him and it is an 18" I used to have a 24" but the fixture went out and all I could get a hold of was a 24" fixture and an 18 " bulb. I was thinking of ordering a new 24" hood that holds the 24 " bulb but am not quite convinced I need to. At about 4.5 to 5 months old I am going to move him up to a 24X24X48 enclosure.

My question is what is the difference between the two bulbs in regards to UV? I assume a bigger bulb = More light which is not too important as he is next to a window. I just want to be sure it has enough UV. Is it enough for my small cage?

I don't think the actual length of the tube has much to do with it's effectiveness.
The 18" is fine for now.
You will obviously want something bigger on the larger enclosure.

-Brad

Thanks Brad I thought so. I keep the small enclosure as a temp location for a new baby until he is big enough to move up.

My question is what is the difference between the two bulbs in regards to UV?
There shouldn't be a significant difference with regard to UV output of the bulbs. The larger one just spreads the UV more (wider distribution pattern). As long as the cham can still get within 6-12 inches of the bulb, it should be fine.
The only possible problem is that generally the various tube lengths are designed to run at various wattages, and the fixtures designed to hold those bulbs run at the same wattage (i.e. 24" tube runs at 20W whereas the 18" runs at 15W). You can run the 18" tube at 20W in the 24" fixture (if that's what I understand you're doing), but presumably that may shorten the length of the life of the bulb (since it is being run 'hot'). I've never tested this, but this is what the aquarium keepers keep telling me.

I assume a bigger bulb = More light which is not too important as he is next to a window.
Remember that standard window glass blocks the transmission of UVB wavelengths, so unless that's an open window, your cham is deriving no benefit from the sunshine other than warmth.

Last edited:
There shouldn't be a significant difference with regard to UV output of the bulbs. The larger one just spreads the UV more (wider distribution pattern). As long as the cham can still get within 6-12 inches of the bulb, it should be fine.
The only possible problem is that generally the various tube lengths are designed to run at various wattages, and the fixtures designed to hold those bulbs run at the same wattage (i.e. 24" tube runs at 20W whereas the 18" runs at 15W). You can run the 18" tube at 20W in the 24" fixture (if that's what I understand you're doing), but presumably that may shorten the length of the life of the bulb (since it is being run 'hot'). I've never tested this, but this is what the aquarium keepers keep telling me.

Remember that standard window glass blocks the transmission of UVB wavelengths, so unless that's an open window, your cham is deriving no benefit from the sunshine other than warmth.

I am talking about light not UV in regards to the window. I do not rely on it for UV only (for lack of a better term) viewing light.

To clarify : The fixture length is 24 " and designed to hold an 18" in bulb.

Back
Top Bottom