Power Outages

Sarahsarus

Hey everyone!

Just curious what you guys do in the event of a power outage? We recently had bad storms here in Indiana about a half hour north of me, and they've been without power for a couple days now and it got me thinking...what would I do with Pickles if that were to happen where I live? Obviously I would try to find a friend with power that could and would be willing to keep her, but I also want to cover my bases and see what suggestions everyone has, just in case!

I have only once had to do this, but I put packing peanuts in the bottom of the ice chest and then put each chameleon in a shipping bag and put them on top of the packing peanuts. Then I tape the hand warmers to the inside of the ice chest and leave a remote thermometer inside. I add or remove hand warmers till the inside temp is comfy but a little on the cool side for that type of chameleon.

Hey everyone!

Just curious what you guys do in the event of a power outage? We recently had bad storms here in Indiana about a half hour north of me, and they've been without power for a couple days now and it got me thinking...what would I do with Pickles if that were to happen where I live? Obviously I would try to find a friend with power that could and would be willing to keep her, but I also want to cover my bases and see what suggestions everyone has, just in case!
my boyfriends from indiana! you could use a generator maybe? the portable ones whats the temp? you could sit the cage outside under a garage maybe? if its not raining hard it wold be nice for the humidity and temp as for uvb as well

Is use a surge protector/battery back up. Like one you would use for a computer. It's large enough to keep my vital things running (ceramic heater) for hours if needed. If you're looking at many hours or days without power, I'd recommend a generator, or I've been looking into the tesla house batteries.

I appreciate the input everyone! I'm in an apartment right now, so I'm not sure a generator would work until I get a house next year, but I didn't even know there were other battery back up type things. I will definitely check into it. Hopefully I don't need it but I want to be prepared just in case. Thank you!

Hey everyone!

I think most chameleons can cope with very low temperatures for some time. I have monane species, but I feel that if I can cope so can my veiled. I would definitely not feed if it got really cold. My worry is over heating if I lose power in the summer here in South Central Texas. I would buy ice and put it on the tops of the cages, but I don't know what I would do if I couldn't get hold of ice. Maybe pack them up in travel boxes and go to a hotel.

I think most chameleons can cope with very low temperatures for some time. I have monane species, but I feel that if I can cope so can my veiled. I would definitely not feed if it got really cold. My worry is over heating if I lose power in the summer here in South Central Texas. I would buy ice and put it on the tops of the cages, but I don't know what I would do if I couldn't get hold of ice. Maybe pack them up in travel boxes and go to a hotel.

I kinda figured I'd have to find a hotel if it lasted too long. Ugh, I so hope it doesn't come to that!

Back
Top Bottom