Please help! Young female veiled suddenly lethargic

maccer.y

Our little girl is named Solosis, a fiesty little veiled we've had for about five months. She's always been an angry little girl who liked us for food and nothing else- but we all loved her nonetheless.

Yesterday, however, something very odd happened? My mother went to feed her, but Solosis had fallen down towards the bottom of her enclosure, looking a little. Dead
When previously moving to touch her sides made her puff up (or open her mouth if she was hungry), when we went to pick her up she barely responded.
When we confirmed she was perfectly alive we ran her to the vet to get her looked at. There the vet told us that she was fine for the most part- the unresponsiveness was likely a bit of shock from the fall- but had far too little calcium in her diet, and needed a few more crickets throughout the day (we had been feeding her 3 or 4 large ones each day; some that she ate from a cup from us, some she caught herself). We had been doing a very poor job of providing her adequate amounts of vitamins.

We took her home and put her under her heat light (she lives in an 18"x18"x3', with one long thick branch connecting a basket under her light to her water drip and a few large plants) and gave her a bit of space to calm down after such a long day.

When we went to check on her once more, though, she had fallen again- this time right to the bottom of her cage. We were in a bit of a panic, and we tried to get her to eat or drink, but she just wasn't interested in anything we offered. Eventually we decided to lie her down in a large pot of one of her plants, where she would be able to pull herself up the stem if she needed to.

This morning we went back and she did indeed climb a small ways up the stem- but her eyes were a bit sunken and were very much slitted.
My mother once again thought she was dead, but when I went to gently pull her out she responded a bit and grabbed onto my hand.
She's got an incredibly strong grip on my fingers, so I'm surprised that she wasn't able to stay up on her usual perch? Two missteps in a day seems extremely unlikely.

As I'm typing this, I've tried misting a bit over her head to get a reaction. She's sitting on my thigh- I thought it might be warmer than a box with some leaves in it.
20160627_100341.jpg
20160627_100828.jpg

TL;DW my young female veiled suddenly fell off her perch the other day and now will only grip onto my hand- it seems like she can't hold herself up enough to keep her balance- and has not eaten nor had any water for 24 hours. I can pull her lip down a tad, but I'm terrified of hurting her.

Her cage is ~80F (85F where she basks) and fluctuates from ~40%-60% humidity between mistings. The pictures of her in my hand are from just now.

She looks severely dehydrate!! whats the yellow on her eye? also sounds like the vet was talking about MBD. Do you dust her crickets with calcium? If so do you use it with or without d3? Using to much d3 will make her sick.you should use without d3 every time you feed her. And do you have a vub bulb for her? She needs to have one. If it's warm enough take her outside the sun is very good. Hope she feels better soon!

She looks severely dehydrate!! whats the yellow on her eye? also sounds like the vet was talking about MBD. Do you dust her crickets with calcium? If so do you use it with or without d3? Using to much d3 will make her sick.you should use without d3 every time you feed her. And do you have a vub bulb for her? She needs to have one. If it's warm enough take her outside the sun is very good. Hope she feels better soon!

She's had 24 hour access to water since we've gotten her, it's very shocking that she'd stop for any reason.
The vet never once mentioned MBD to us, though I have done a bit of research. If it is MBD then it seems to be very early on? Her limbs don't seem deformed at all.
The problem was that we hadn't been dusting her crickets- we'd only been gut-loading them. Early on they were dusted, but I fear too much so. I'll have to check if it was d3.
She's always had a UVB bulb, thankfully. It is about time to replace it though.

As for the yellow on her eye, I don't know at all ! It appeared just today. I'll post a closer picture in a moment.

20160627_113020.jpg

here's a closer picture of her eye. She has gone to bathroom since I started this thread, but it wasn't very much. Since then her breathing seems to have gotten heavier, and she'll occasionally lurch forward a bit. Should I remove her from my thigh and give her some space? I worry it will be too cold.
edit: her colours have changed immensely as well ! shes gone from brown to bright yellow and green. I'll be honest, I'm not certain what that could mean from her- she only gets lighter at night when she sleeps.

Last edited:
I'm not saying don't dust your crickets because you should but a good gutloaded cricket is pretty healthy all by itself. I personally gutload and dust.
But as young as she looks I'm having a hard time accepting it was just from not dusting. So I'm kinda at a loss for words about that.
Do you see her drink often. Her eyes can be from a few things. Dehydration, stress or being sick. Possibly she could even be carrying eggs and have no place to lay them causing to to possibly be egg bound. Which will also cause her eyes to look like that.
I'm suprised that your vet wasn't more helpful. When any chameleons eyes sink in its usually a horrific sign that death is near.
My fingures are crossed for you. If I were you I would find a different vet ASAP.
By the looks of her she's running out of time fast.

an update: the sun's finally come out, so I've placed her somewhere more comfortable where I can keep an eye on her so she can warm up.

I'm not saying don't dust your crickets because you should but a good gutloaded cricket is pretty healthy all by itself. I personally gutload and dust.
But as young as she looks I'm having a hard time accepting it was just from not dusting. So I'm kinda at a loss for words about that.
Do you see her drink often. Her eyes can be from a few things. Dehydration, stress or being sick. Possibly she could even be carrying eggs and have no place to lay them causing to to possibly be egg bound. Which will also cause her eyes to look like that.
I'm suprised that your vet wasn't more helpful. When any chameleons eyes sink in its usually a horrific sign that death is near.
My fingures are crossed for you. If I were you I would find a different vet ASAP.
By the looks of her she's running out of time fast.
It's really odd, when I bought her 5 months ago the store told us she was around 6 months old. Even the vet seemed surprised that she was as old as we claimed.
She usually won't drink around us, but sometimes we've seen her. I know when I mist her she gets a fair amount of water in.
I think the sunken eyes are stress, and her belly seems quite soft, I can't imagine she has any eggs in there. I've managed to get a bit of water in her and her eyes don't seem even remotely sunken anymore.
I'll be spending as much time as I possibly can trying to get some food and water into her. It's a good thing it's summer; the heat of the sun seems to match her basking light.
There are hardly any vets around here that deal with exotic animals; even fewer who are comfortable with reptiles. To be honest Solosis must not have seemed very sickly yesterday- she had an incredibly strong grip and seemed fairly alert.

I'd take her to a vet asap and mist her maybe try to squirt some water into her mouth
She was taken just yesterday and all they saw was a slight calcium deficiency. She's been periodically opening her mouth, and I've gotten what I can in then. Hopefully after some time under the sun she'll be a bit more alert.

Take her to another vet today she is severely dehydrated perhaps one that deals with reptiles I know it's hard to find good vets for chameleons but if your last vet only saw a calcium deficiency then you needs a new one

20160627_123841.jpg

Here she is after a bit of time under the sun. She's still got that little bit by her eye, but doesn't look quite as bad I don't think?
I'll do my best to find a vet as quickly as I can regardless.

When they turn yellow they are heat stressed
well i mean shoot alright
is there anything I can even do? I can't take her to the vet right now; my mother is out. I need something I can do to help her here aside from squirting water into her mouth and stressing her out.

Good news! We found a very nice pet hospital that'll take her in for the next two or three days. We'll be checking up on her tomorrow afternoon. Thank you all for your input! If things seem positive we'll take this time to deep clean her cage and maybe get a few new plants ^^ We're very hopeful for our little girl !

She looks bad. Where do you live? I might be able to recommend a good chameleon vet. For now, well in the morning try some nice long warm misting. I'd also get some Flukers Reptiboost and give her some of that.
I live out in Maryland, but we've already found a good reptile vet that's fairly close by. Thank you though!
For the next few days she won't be with us, she'll be cared for by the hospital. Granted all goes well, we'll be absolutely certain we're doing all we can to meet her needs.

I live out in Maryland, but we've already found a good reptile vet that's fairly close by. Thank you though!
For the next few days she won't be with us, she'll be cared for by the hospital. Granted all goes well, we'll be absolutely certain we're doing all we can to meet her needs.

There's an excellent chameleon vet close to Maryland. One of our long time senior members highly recommends him.
Veterinary Services
4105 Rust Rd.
Fairfax VA.22030
703 281 3750
Dr Stahl and his staff are excellent and I take all my chameleons there!

There's an excellent chameleon vet close to Maryland. One of our long time senior members highly recommends him.
Veterinary Services
4105 Rust Rd.
Fairfax VA.22030
703 281 3750
Dr Stahl and his staff are excellent and I take all my chameleons there!
!!! Thank you very much!! If the need arises again I'll be sure to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom