New Species - Calumma tarzan

Chris Anderson

Dr. House of Chameleons
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd let everyone know that a new chameleon species was just described from the Anosibe An’Ala region of Eastern Madagascar. It is a member of the Calumma furcifer species group and has been named Calumma tarzan, the Tarzan Side-striped Chameleon. The species was found in a small patch of forest near a town that was formerly called "Tarzanville" (now known as Ambodimeloka) and it was named in dedication of "Tarzan" as an attempt to draw attention to the need for conservation in Madagascar to protect habitat from the current problems with deforestation and habitat loss. The authors believe this species qualifies as "Critically Endangered" on the IUCN Red List of Endangered Species designations.

This species looks very similar to Calumma gastrotaenia, however it has an amazing flat, spade-like rostrum. Males have a brown-grey colored dorsal portion of the casque that extends onto the neck just behind the head forming a saddle-like patch and they exhibit a spectacular stress display with bright yellow bands extending from the dorsal ridge forward as they terminate about half way down the flanks and scattered yellow spots on the ventral portion of the flanks. The Females exhibit a series of thin, dark longitudinal stripes going down the flanks and scattered dark dots.

Here is a photo of a male:

Calumma_tarzan_01.jpg

Here is the reference to the paper:

Gehring, P.-S., Pabijan, M., Ratsoavina, F. M., Köhler, J., Vences, M. and Glaw, F. (2010). A Tarzan yell for conservation: a new chameleon, Calumma tarzan sp. n., proposed as a flagship species for the creation of new nature reserves in Madagascar. Salamandra 46, 167-179.

Chris

Wow looks like an Anole mixed with a Chameleon.

Pretty cool.

That's exactly what I thought. It amazes me that there are still new species to be found in this world. I would KILL OR DIE to go on a field trip somewhere where the potential for finding new species is an actual possibility.

That is awesome Chris! It is always interesting to find out about new species, and you have to wonder how many more are out there.

Finding a new species isn't hard, it's getting it described that is tricky. ;)

Thanks for the info Chris, very fascinating.

Luis

from the Anosibe An’Ala region of Eastern Madagascar

That's great!! I hope they make a huge preserve there. As the Yellow Giant/Honey Parsons phases of Parsons that is an unprotected phases is allegedly from that region.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of a male:

Calumma_tarzan_01.jpg

Here is the reference to the paper:

Gehring, P.-S., Pabijan, M., Ratsoavina, F. M., Köhler, J., Vences, M. and Glaw, F. (2010). A Tarzan yell for conservation: a new chameleon, Calumma tarzan sp. n., proposed as a flagship species for the creation of new nature reserves in Madagascar. Salamandra 46, 167-179.

Chris

I wanted to note that the image was taken by Sebastian Gehring, licensed under CreativeCommons 3.0, and is posted at (and embedded from) http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Calumma_tarzan_01.jpg

Chris

Thanks for sharing Chris. Adorable little chameleon! The new species does favor my little Dulce (Cuban Kinght Anole) :D

Finding a new species isn't hard, it's getting it described that is tricky. ;)

Thanks for the info Chris, very fascinating.

Luis
Isn't that the truth?

It makes me wonder if years ago, people went to Madagascar and saw these and started calling anoles chameleons.

Chris you are always at the cutting edge of what is going on in our world, thanks so much for keeping us informed. That is a very interesting chameleon.

Also so it was nice to see you in Daytona.:) And your lecture at the symposium was very informative and well presented, thanks.

We've had this in the Dutch newspaper as well and posted on our forum but the stupid %@#$^%$ put a picture of Chamaeleo chamaeleon on. Great you posted the picture that actually shows the specie it is about :D

The first thing i thought it would be a crossing with anolis carolinensis or something haha.

Calumma tarzan

Being an old Johnny Weissmuller fan (the Best Tarzan ever and creator of that famous call), what a great name for a new chameleon species! Now if we can only find an impenetrable escarpment for them.

Back
Top Bottom