Need help

Mrdankdabz

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - jacksons male. 10 months/1year. 2 days.
  • Handling - not often except for placing crickets in cage and occasional fixing of vines.
  • Feeding - crickets with repti calcium mix. Start. Gut feeding crickets tomorow.
  • Supplements - repti calcium no d3 1/2 times a week.
  • Watering - i have a dripper, humidifier and a pressurized spray bottle. Misting 2-3 times in the day
  • Fecal Description - havnt spotted any yet
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - repti breeze mesh cage
  • Lighting- uvb and basking combo deep dish dome. Red bulb for additional heat in basking area.
  • Temperature - lower levels of tank can be low 70s. Basking area high 70s low 80s. Digital temp with probe
  • Humidity - humidity i think is still low. Dial says between 50 and 60 mid area of cage but i have humidifier running and have been misting when needed.
  • Plants - bonzai ficus tree. Polous plant or whatever there name is that i use to catch water.
  • Placement - in my room. 2 windows but are rarely open. About 2/3 feet off the ground until i get a nice stand for him.
  • Location - new england.

Current Problem - i got rex the male jacksons from a pet store. He is very dark since i picked him up and not being very active in his cage. Every so often see him with 1 eye closed like he may be taking a nap. Accidently woke him up once last night. Drank some water and eat one cricket since then. Ive been trying to do everything the pet store told me to do to keep him healthy! Im pretty sure the pet store itself was a little warmer then he is now but they didnt have a constant temp/humidty gauge in his cage. His legs look a little skinny im not sure if he is dehydrated. Worried about him or that i may be doing something wrong. If i filled out the top or wasnt detailed enough please ask i want my little guy to feel better.

Chameleon Info:
  • Handling - not often except for placing crickets in cage and occasional fixing of vines.
  • Feeding - crickets with repti calcium mix. Start. Gut feeding crickets tomorow.
  • Watering - i have a dripper, humidifier and a pressurized spray bottle. Misting 2-3 times in the day
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Lighting- uvb and basking combo deep dish dome. Red bulb for additional heat in basking area.
  • Temperature - lower levels of tank can be low 70s. Basking area high 70s low 80s. Digital temp with probe
  • Humidity - humidity i think is still low. Dial says between 50 and 60 mid area of cage but i have humidifier running and have been misting when needed.
  • Plants - bonzai ficus tree. Polous plant or whatever there name is that i use to catch water.
  • Placement - in my room. 2 windows but are rarely open. About 2/3 feet off the ground until i get a nice stand for him.

Current Problem - i got rex the male jacksons from a pet store. He is very dark since i picked him up and not being very active in his cage. Every so often see him with 1 eye closed like he may be taking a nap. Accidently woke him up once last night. Drank some water and eat one cricket since then. Ive been trying to do everything the pet store told me to do to keep him healthy! Im pretty sure the pet store itself was a little warmer then he is now but they didnt have a constant temp/humidty gauge in his cage. His legs look a little skinny im not sure if he is dehydrated. Worried about him or that i may be doing something wrong. If i filled out the top or wasnt detailed enough please ask i want my little guy to feel better.

Attachments

• 1461950971734712165113.jpg
    1461950971734712165113.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 166
Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

Not sure if i gave enough information to help ill still catch him in his basking area with his eyes closed. He has larger brown spots, maybe trying to get more heat. So i set up the additional low watt lamp. I only got him yesterday so its difficult to give feeding info and such. Worried about my new baby

The chameleons looks dehydrated/ill.
I'd place it in a shower and shower it an hour daily and I'd get it and a stool sample to a qualified vet, ASAP.

I just got him yesterday i think the pet store used a cup type dripped and sprayed him 2 times a day was that not enough for him? And whats the best methods to shower him. I was having a hard time getting him into my hand earlier this morning.

His eyes look sunk in, I dont think it appl;ied to me. However a Vit A deficiency may apply to you. As older chams suffer it.

Also mos the stuff I have read around here say you should dust with calcium every day or at least every other day. Its the D3 and MV that are debated and that is usually between 1 time a week for D3 to once every two weeks. For the MV 1 or 2 times monthly again thats debated over. Just FYI, and subbing to this thread as it may be helpful to me, for my similar situation.

Hope all works out. And I agree that cham looks pretty bad I would take him to the vet.

His eyes look sunk in, I dont think it appl;ied to me. However a Vit A deficiency may apply to you. As older chams suffer it.

Also mos the stuff I have read around here say you should dust with calcium every day or at least every other day. Its the D3 and MV that are debated and that is usually between 1 time a week for D3 to once every two weeks. For the MV 1 or 2 times monthly again thats debated over. Just FYI, and subbing to this thread as it may be helpful to me, for my similar situation.

Hope all works out. And I agree that cham looks pretty bad I would take him to the vet.
I gave him a nice shower, had trouble getting him into the plant he was grumpy but he stayed very still and let me spray a whole bottle of water on him. The pet store would just feed him crickets i think im going to get in contact with them very soon and see if they were giving him and supplements. Im assuming they would gut feed their crickets. I dusted his food this morning but he only eat 1 or 2 of them. Spents most of time on his higher sticks. Im gunna try to keep the humidifier on most of the day to hopefully keep moisture in his cage. Will lighlty dust every other day for a little while maybe he will look better

What would be enough for a healthy chameleon is often not enough for on that was recently wild caught and/or improperly cared for.

I would do your best to prod and coax the chameleon onto a potted plant or leafy branch and place it in your bath tub and run a barely warm shower on the chameleon. Use a gentle spray and let the chameleon sit in the bathroom, after the shower and breath in the humid air for an hour. I would plan on doing this 3-5 times a week or daily for several weeks.

What would be enough for a healthy chameleon is often not enough for on that was recently wild caught and/or improperly cared for.

I would do your best to prod and coax the chameleon onto a potted plant or leafy branch and place it in your bath tub and run a barely warm shower on the chameleon. Use a gentle spray and let the chameleon sit in the bathroom, after the shower and breath in the humid air for an hour. I would plan on doing this 3-5 times a week or daily for several weeks.
I was able to spray him down for about 20 minutes today i will do it longer tomorw but he looked very stressed. I have the humidifier on a low setting right next to the cage for him. He is hanging out in the lower levels of his tank. Basking area 79/80 mid tank 74 75. Ive been using a reptisun 5.0 13 watt uvb and a 60w daylight blue reptile bulb(the dome set from zoo med). Maybe lighting is a problem?

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

One other change to make...montane cham species such as jackson's are sensitive to vitamin D3, but they still need it occasionally. You should be dusting his feeders lightly with plain calcium every meal, dusting with a herp multivitamin about once a month, and dusting with calcium WITH vit. D3 about once a month.

The most important thing to do for him right now is rehydrating him. It will take a while for him to get established, so offer him some water as often as you can. He may be staying low in the cage because he's trying to hide out of sight as well as stay where it is more humid.

One other change to make...montane cham species such as jackson's are sensitive to vitamin D3, but they still need it occasionally. You should be dusting his feeders lightly with plain calcium every meal, dusting with a herp multivitamin about once a month, and dusting with calcium WITH vit. D3 about once a month.

The most important thing to do for him right now is rehydrating him. It will take a while for him to get established, so offer him some water as often as you can. He may be staying low in the cage because he's trying to hide out of sight as well as stay where it is more humid.

So can lack of humidity cause that eye issue? Or dehydration I guess I should say?

I will shower him everyday. Cool air humidifier running next to cage and i mist often. Unfortunately cant afford mist king atm but once i can i plan to. Spraying very often. Love him already just want him happy

Don't give ANY supplements for now, other than pure calcium, 3 times a week. Pet stores often don't gutload their crickets and the crickets eat chicken feed or other cheap foods, that are overly saturated with vitamins and grains.

Lighting is a problem. You need a 5.0 tube, not the compact fluorescent. What's the temperature and humidity like, outdoors, where you are?
Can the chameleon cage be moved for some filtered sun, outdoors?

The daylight, blue bulb, though I'm uncertain exactly what that is, is not suitable for supplying UVA, which stimulates feeding and basking. You can get a 2 pack of zoomed 50 watt basking bulbs at petco for a little over $20.

Your main concerns right now are hydration, food that has not been eating chicken chow, and lighting that is psychologically comforting to the chameleon.

If the outside temps where you are are 68F to 80F, put the cage outside, in light shade for a while. You could also shower the chameleon while it's inside the screen cage, if it fits in the shower. You want a light shower, not a deluge, so , if you have a heavy stream of water from your shower, it may be overwhelming. Think gentle rain.

Get the chameleon plenty of cover, like live or fake plants. That will help him drink, by having plenty of areas to lap water from. The chameleon needs a vet. It's sickly in coloration and very dehydrated and if you can't shower him often and frequently, he needs fluids from a vet and possible other care.

Just to be clear, I'm not reprimanding you. Pet stores are notoriously ill equipped to properly care for or give advice about chameleons.

I would feed your crickets for a day or 2 on healthy items and just let the chameleon go without food those couple days. A dehydrated chameleon doesn't need the vitamins from crickets fed chicken chow assaulting a its overworked system.

Good luck and Google "care of jacksons chameleon", read at least 3 care sheets and find the common factors and provide those, ASAP.

So can lack of humidity cause that eye issue? Or dehydration I guess I should say?
Don't give ANY supplements for now, other than pure calcium, 3 times a week. Pet stores often don't gutload their crickets and the crickets eat chicken feed or other cheap foods, that are overly saturated with vitamins and grains.

Lighting is a problem. You need a 5.0 tube, not the compact fluorescent. What's the temperature and humidity like, outdoors, where you are?

The daylight, blue bulb, though I'm uncertain exactly what that is, is not suitable for supplying UVA, which stimulates feeding and basking. You can get a 2 pack of zoomed 50 watt basking bulbs at petco for a little over $20.

Your main concerns right now are hydration, food that has not been eating chicken chow, and lighting that is psychologically comforting to the chameleon.

If the outside temps where you are are 68F to 80F, put the cage outside, in light shade for a while. You could also shower the chameleon while it's inside the screen cage, if it fits in the shower. You want a light shower, not a deluge, so , if you have a heavy stream of water from your shower, it may be overwhelming. Think gentle rain.

Get the chameleon plenty of cover, like live or fake plants. That will help him drink, by having plenty of areas to lap water from. The chameleon needs a vet. It's sickly in coloration and very dehydrated and if you can't shower him often and frequently, he needs fluids from a vet and possible other care.

Just to be clear, I'm not reprimanding you. Pet stores are notoriously ill equipped to properly care for or give advice about chameleons.

I would feed your crickets for a day or 2 on healthy items and just let the chameleon go without food those couple days. A dehydrated chameleon doesn't need the vitamins from crickets fed chicken chow assaulting a its overworked system.

Good luck and Google "care of jacksons chameleon", read at least 3 care sheets and find the common factors and provide those, ASAP.
I live in new england, when i get home from work i will check outside temp and see about bringing him outside. I am feeding the crickets apples right now i figured they were juicy and would hydrate rex a little when the time comes. I will look into the bulb situation tomorow. I can deffinatly shower him in the bathtub i if the stream is to strong i will fill my spray bottle up a bunch of times and do that for him. Thanks you for all your recommendations me and rex are beyond greatful!!

Attachments

• 14619755643231587173924.jpg
    14619755643231587173924.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 119
Ive been using a reptisun 5.0 13 watt uvb and a 60w daylight blue reptile bulb(the dome set from zoo med). Maybe lighting is a problem?

I didn't see this till Extension mentioned it. That blue daylight bulb will work just fine till it burns out you do not need to replace it. When you do replace it hit up walmart lol. It has been proven a 1000 times in the reptile industry those "Basking Bulbs" are just a gimmick they are incandescent or halogen bulbs. They provide no more UVA then a regular house bulb they do nothing and charge you 10 times more for it.

The only thing that "Blue Bulb" does is tint the light, so that it isnt as bright on there eyes or shows different colors. Its another gimmick. Its an iridescent bulb, it will produce heat and UVA the same way every other iridescent bulb does. The blue light *may* reduce some of the UVA, but I doubt much if any.

That said, I have read a lot that chams favor halogen bulbs lighting as its stronger and more sun like I guess. so go with a halogen flood light or a standard halogen, there like 2 bucks at Walmart. The only thing the "Basking Bulbs" is use a special glass to "Increase UV" which is bull that doesn't work.

I would drop the red light however I doubt you need it. If it were me I would just get a 100w halogen (100w EQ, actually uses 72w) and a Herpastat.

As to the UVB, I dont really know. I know that CFLs had issues in the past that have since been corrected, I dont know why some people still dont like the CFLs. Would happily learn though. Anyway here is a great thread on lighting https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ead-everything-you-really-need-to-know.80869/ :).

I didn't see this till Extension mentioned it. That blue daylight bulb will work just fine till it burns out you do not need to replace it. When you do replace it hit up walmart lol. It has been proven a 1000 times in the reptile industry those "Basking Bulbs" are just a gimmick they are incandescent or halogen bulbs. They provide no more UVA then a regular house bulb they do nothing and charge you 10 times more for it.

The only thing that "Blue Bulb" does is tint the light, so that it isnt as bright on there eyes or shows different colors. Its another gimmick. Its an iridescent bulb, it will produce heat and UVA the same way every other iridescent bulb does. The blue light *may* reduce some of the UVA, but I doubt much if any.

That said, I have read a lot that chams favor halogen bulbs lighting as its stronger and more sun like I guess. so go with a halogen flood light or a standard halogen, there like 2 bucks at Walmart. The only thing the "Basking Bulbs" is use a special glass to "Increase UV" which is bull that doesn't work.

I would drop the red light however I doubt you need it. If it were me I would just get a 100w halogen (100w EQ, actually uses 72w) and a Herpastat.

As to the UVB, I dont really know. I know that CFLs had issues in the past that have since been corrected, I dont know why some people still dont like the CFLs. Would happily learn though. Anyway here is a great thread on lighting https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ead-everything-you-really-need-to-know.80869/ :).
Dropped the red light earlier once i messed around with the positioning of the big lamp, wasnt doing much anyways. Will go to the store tomorow to swap the bulbs out hopefully that helps him.

Back
Top Bottom