My cham thinks she is gravid

Chachi

Established Member
My chameleon has been spayed but she is still digging. She was an emergency surgical and im posting. Pic of what they got. This is everything so why would she dig. Hysterically gravid? Idk. But im scared she is gonna die and i feel so helpless to help her. Does anyone know.

Attachments

• 20160224_141553.jpg
    20160224_141553.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 203
I did. She also has a free run area and she digs at the floor and her towel. I dont mind the digging but its a little deeper than that. If she is suffering a hormonal malfunction then she will never eat good again. If she is growing something back we have a problem.

Does she look like she has eggs? I thought I read one of Dayna's posts. that there is a slim possibility of a female producing eggs after being spayed. That somehow, if cells or part of the ovaries are left, they can develop eggs.

Why not call the vet?
J, first you say simple answer, like the dirt is the problem. Then, you say, why not the vet, which i have, of course, already done. But, his answer was this: bring me a fecal sample, Ill take some blood and we will watch her. Thats not a real good answer for me. And to be honest, there are people on this forum that have heard of and seen stuff that all the schooling in the world wont nec answer. I asked for help from experienced people with knowledgefrom living life and raising these guys. Do you have any personal experience with this sort of thing?

Maybe its her instincts to lay eggs even she got spay,I say set up the laying bin wait n see what she does next.
Thats what my vet said. Psychosematic. But she doesnt look good and wont eat right. Something is wrong, Ken.

Does she look like
Does she look like she has eggs? I thought I read one of Dayna's posts. that there is a slim possibility of a female producing eggs after being spayed. That somehow, if cells or part of the ovaries are left, they can develop eggs.

has eggs? I thought I read one of Dayna's posts. that there is a slim possibilif a female producing eggs after being spayed. That somehow, if cells or part of the ovaries are left, they can develop eggs.
She doesnt look lumpy like she has in the past, but she looks gaunt and light. I read something about a "follical"? And growing some parts already. Idk, Im so woried

Chachi, Do you have any pictures of her? Maybe we could tell what's up from them?

Lol,so this 3years old female is been thru hell of the time when she was young,which probably putting lots toll on her when she got spayed,and I know u did nursing her back form the evil petco,but that damage probably already done in her body at such young age,have u check her poop lately?was it normal? Running?

Yes. I stole her from them 3 years ago
U know Im still laughing out loud at what u telling me,I can pictured u walk in the store n look at them in their stupid eyes n did a Houdini trick on the poor veiled,I bet when they found out that she is missing,probably 5days later since they dont give rats ass about that poor veiled chamie!!:LOL:

Thats what my vet said. Psychosematic. But she doesnt look good and wont eat right. Something is wrong, Ken.

FInd a new vet. Fast.

If the vet did leave the ovaries in and she is producing and releasing yolks into her body, she won't look lumpy. Egg yolks are soft. She has no diaphragm so the egg yolks could be anywhere in her body. They removed the shell gland, the uterus, when they did the surgery. It is in the shell gland that the shells are laid down over the yolks.

Egg yolks are very irritating to the body and set up an inflammatory process. Egg yolk peritonitis is very serious with a poor prognosis.

J, first you say simple answer, like the dirt is the problem. Then, you say, why not the vet, which i have, of course, already done. But, his answer was this: bring me a fecal sample, Ill take some blood and we will watch her. Thats not a real good answer for me. And to be honest, there are people on this forum that have heard of and seen stuff that all the schooling in the world wont nec answer. I asked for help from experienced people with knowledgefrom living life and raising these guys. Do you have any personal experience with this sort of thing?
I can only try to help you with info you've stated and since you never stated that you didn't have a laying bin in the cage or that you had already contacted your vet thoughs were my 1st suggestions most time the simplest solution is the best. I have delt with this with a dog that was spay she carried around two stuffed animals for almost a month acting like they were her puppies and if a stranger came near the stuffed animals she would growl eventually she carried the "puppies" less and we threw them away and she behaved like her normal sweet self again. There was nothing physically wrong with her it was just hormonal or psychosomatic. I think the best thing for you to do is get a fecal to your vet to make sure there are no yolks, blood or whatever in it and just wait hopefully she will snap out of it and return to her normal self. It's upsetting seeing your loved pet act so strange and not knowing how to help but really there isn't much you can do but see your vet and wait it out. I hope all goes well.

I can only try to help you with info you've stated and since you never stated that you didn't have a laying bin in the cage or that you had already contacted your vet thoughs were my 1st suggestions most time the simplest solution is the best. I have delt with this with a dog that was spay she carried around two stuffed animals for almost a month acting like they were her puppies and if a stranger came near the stuffed animals she would growl eventually she carried the "puppies" less and we threw them away and she behaved like her normal sweet self again. There was nothing physically wrong with her it was just hormonal or psychosomatic. I think the best thing for you to do is get a fecal to your vet to make sure there are no yolks, blood or whatever in it and just wait hopefully she will snap out of it and return to her normal self. It's upsetting seeing your loved pet act so strange and not knowing how to help but really there isn't much you can do but see your vet and wait it out. I hope all goes well.

Sometimes just throwing ideas out for a complicated problem is a good thing. Other times it just makes a lot of distracting noise.

Research into spaying in a reptile veterinary manual will discuss the problem the OP is having.

If the ovaries are not taken out, the chameleon will likely continue to ovulate. There are reasons a vet might leave the ovaries in and I think the reasons relate to their surgical skill rather than a medical decision. The right ovary is very very close to the vena cava, a major blood vessel, and the left one is attached to the adrenal gland. A chameleon is very small--there isn't a lot of room when doing the surgery. It is not the same as a simple spay of a dog or a cat.

I know in chickens, castrating roosters is often ineffective as they will regenerate testicular tissue if any is missed. It might be possible that the the ovaries were removed in the surgery but a bit of tissue was left and regrew enough to produce the hormones regulating laying.

Psychosomatic is not a term I would attach to too many animals' illnesses, especially something as primitive as a reptile. Psychosomatic is an illness due to mental/emotional involvement. Chameleons are pretty simple--they eat, they sleep, they reproduce. They do not have neuroses. That a vet would use that term is worrying.

FInd a new vet. Fast.

If the vet did leave the ovaries in and she is producing and releasing yolks into her body, she won't look lumpy. Egg yolks are soft. She has no diaphragm so the egg yolks could be anywhere in her body. They removed the shell gland, the uterus, when they did the surgery. It is in the shell gland that the shells are laid down over the yolks.

Egg yolks are very irritating to the body and set up an inflammatory process. Egg yolk peritonitis is very serious with a poor prognosis.
Sometimes just throwing ideas out for a complicated problem is a good thing. Other times it just makes a lot of distracting noise.

Research into spaying in a reptile veterinary manual will discuss the problem the OP is having.

If the ovaries are not taken out, the chameleon will likely continue to ovulate. There are reasons a vet might leave the ovaries in and I think the reasons relate to their surgical skill rather than a medical decision. The right ovary is very very close to the vena cava, a major blood vessel, and the left one is attached to the adrenal gland. A chameleon is very small--there isn't a lot of room when doing the surgery. It is not the same as a simple spay of a dog or a cat.

I know in chickens, castrating roosters is often ineffective as they will regenerate testicular tissue if any is missed. It might be possible that the the ovaries were removed in the surgery but a bit of tissue was left and regrew enough to produce the hormones regulating laying.

Psychosomatic is not a term I would attach to too many animals' illnesses, especially something as primitive as a reptile. Psychosomatic is an illness due to mental/emotional involvement. Chameleons are pretty simple--they eat, they sleep, they reproduce. They do not have neuroses. That a vet would use that term is worrying.

He didnt say that word, but what he did say, i did not like. O know that. Janet, I collected the fecal the vet said to get. Im taking it when he is back in his office tomorrow. Since her ovary is right by that main vein, im worried more. He probably missed a little bit, trying to be careful....crap. idk what to do. I dont want to hurt her more but i love her so. Ill talk it over w him tomorrow....I have your info from

I dont think he said exactly that but i didnt like what he did say. I copied your quote from Maders and im going to talk to talk to him tomorrow am when he is in
But since the huge veinacava vein is so close, its reasonably o

He didnt say that word, but what he did say, i did not like. O know that. Janet, I collected the fecal the vet said to get. Im taking it when he is back in his office tomorrow. Since her ovary is right by that main vein, im worried more. He probably missed a little bit, trying to be careful....crap. idk what to do. I dont want to hurt her more but i love her so. Ill talk it over w him tomorrow....I have your info from the book and i will heed your warning so egos are not damaged. Thankyou. Im posting some pictures of her because someone else said can we see her.

I dont think he said exactly that but i didnt like what he did say. I copied your quote from Maders and im going to talk to talk to him tomorrow am when he is in
But since the huge veinacava vein is so close, its reasonably o

Back
Top Bottom