Large Wide Format Chameleon Cages from Dragon Strand!

DeremensisBlue

Chameleon Enthusiast
Site Sponsor
Large%20Atrum%20at%20Show_zps7fputyec.jpg

The Large Atrium Enclosure making its first public appearance!

We know that chameleons are horizontal animals and wide format cages give them the space to move freely. The Atrium series was designed specifically to give your chameleon this freedom. The flagship cage is the Large Atrium Enclosure which measures 45” wide x 22” deep and 44” high. This cage is the perfect space for a panther, veiled, or Jackson’s chameleon. It gives you the space you need to create gradients and zones for your chameleon to regulate on his own!

The Large Atrium Enclosure is available in an all-screen format as well as a Clearside format. The Clearside Large Atrium gives you clear panels in the front, left side, and back so you can see inside clearly and mist will stay inside the cage.
Doors-on-Atrium_zpsymumnqhd.jpg

The Large Atrium Enclosure, Screen Version

Large-Clearside-Atrium%20thumbnail_zps7i0odo0q.jpg

Each Large Atrium Enclosure comes standard with the patent pending Dragon Ledges. These ledges allow you to mount branches and plants on the side panels and to keep the floor clear. You will get two ledges per side panel and each of the two back panels get two ledges in a vertical format. Dragon Ledges make it easy to create a solidly anchored plantscape and branch network without stressing the screen sides or creating hiding places on the floor for escaped feeders!
Atrium%20%20Dragon%20Ledges_zpsezww6k5c.jpg

With Dragon Ledges on all panels, branches and plants may be mounted on the sides

DLedge%20plantscape_zpsni6ij3eg.jpg

Dragon Ledges allow foam walls and planters to be a part of your chameleon cage

An optional Drip Easy Drainage Tray is available. This drainage tray catches and stores excess water under the cage. This keeps it away from feeders and the chameleon poop. A screen floor panel as popularized by Ed Kammer of Kammerflage Kreations under the Drip Easy brand name is included. With this you can replace the standard white floor panel. Not only does this totally remove any puddling, it visually makes the floor disappear directing attention to the beautiful cage and chameleon.

Click on the cage name to be taken to the product page:
The Large Screen Atrium Enclosure is $295
The Large Clearside Atrium Enclosure is $395
The Large Atrium Drip Easy Drainage System is $134

If you are interested in all the different cages available through Dragon Strand the following link will show you the entire line-up!
Dragon Strand Chameleon Cage Selection Guide

Last edited:
What kind of warranty do these come with?
I make sure there are no manufacturer's defects. If anything is wrong with it coming out of the box I replace the suspect items. I do not cover damage done while building it, though.

Is there anything in particular you are curious about?

Love this system and would really like to figure out a budget to try and make this happen. I've done research on the forum here & you guys seem to have really well respected products! A few complications - I live in Canada, but fairly near the border, on the west coast. What would shipping cost to send the large atrium to Vancouver, BC, Canada? Alternatively, I *may* be able to pick it up in Blaine WA, what might that cost? (Though I'd have to factor in the cost of staying 48 hrs to bring it back). Haha, last question - are deals ever offered (sales, coupons, magic offers )?

Love this system and would really like to figure out a budget to try and make this happen. I've done research on the forum here & you guys seem to have really well respected products! A few complications - I live in Canada, but fairly near the border, on the west coast. What would shipping cost to send the large atrium to Vancouver, BC, Canada? Alternatively, I *may* be able to pick it up in Blaine WA, what might that cost? (Though I'd have to factor in the cost of staying 48 hrs to bring it back). Haha, last question - are deals ever offered (sales, coupons, magic offers )?

I got a reply from Dragon Strand through FB regarding my questions - thanks so much!!!

I make sure there are no manufacturer's defects. If anything is wrong with it coming out of the box I replace the suspect items. I do not cover damage done while building it, though.

Is there anything in particular you are curious about?

I was curious about the assembly and longevity. Are these simply held together with sheet metal screws or are there any inserts to aid in retention? I'm considering my options if I go to a screen cage. To not have any warranty other than saying it you make sure there are no manufacture defects is a little scary to me. The best companies have manufacturing defects from time to time. Not all defects are noticed right out of the box. I understand you can't warranty mine or anyone else's works or vouch for our skills (or lack of), but it is always possible that there could be a manufacture defect, especially if you have these manufactured by a vendor to your specs and ship without actually assembling first.

I'm also curious about the load specifications. You have the Dragon Ledges, (great idea) but assuming the frame is hollow aluminum such as those made for the screen window and door business, I am concerned about load limits if you hang a wall or some other heavy item from them, that they will sag or bend/crease with excessive load.

If a part fails, do you have replacement panels available? Can the screens be replaced?

I'm comparing your product to a more mainstream ones as well as the ones made by Reptibreeze or similar. I hear nothing but good things about your product, and that speaks volumes, but the analytical Engineer in me has to convince "that" side of my brain of all the crazy questions I tend to ask.

Broderp, I warranty that the cage parts coming out of the box are free from manufacturing defects. If a defect is noticed after it is assembled or after three months it is still covered. The time of discovery is not an issue. The nature of the problem is the issue. If the part fails in a way that is not due to mis-use then it is covered. I want all of my cages out there to be the quality I intended. If the situation is unclear as to how it happened it is a case by case judgement call.

Regardless of how a problem happens, replacement panels are available for all the cages.

The aluminum framing material and screws used for the cages are more than sufficient for standard chameleon cage use case. I have access to thicker framing and can build a cage that you can climb on and jump up and down. But, I would need a use case before I would burden the BOM with extra cost.

The Dragon Ledge part itself failed at 50lbs of 90 degree downward load applied to the 1/2" mounting hole on the front of the ledge. In application it gets more complicated because of the infinite variations and angles that the load can be applied. I tested application by hanging bricks and rocks.
DL-Front1.jpg

Of course, you can over burden any system, but I can post here examples of what has been done before. One gallon pots are standard to be used. A data point that may or may not be useful is that you can stress the Dragon Ledge support part in the Large Atrium by placing a large stick the full width of the 45” wide cage on two Dragon Ledges and then hanging a 1 gallon lush potted pothos from the middle. The weight of the fully planted 1 gallon container two feet out will cause flexing in the Dragon Ledge back brace. I have yet to break one in application, though. Hanging the pots along the sides as shown in the pictures takes advantage of the strength points in the cage and I have been able to hang Tiki decorations from Home Depot of respectable weight without issue. In all the time of putting together these cages I have not seen the integrity of the aluminum framing be challenged. I would need more information on what you mean by hanging a wall before I could tell you if it would work. Though, I have created planter walls with a branch support grid, potted plants, and filled in with Great Stuff foam that have done a beautiful job. I’d say to just take a look at some examples and see how well your vision matches.

mount-potted-plants-640.jpg

Naturalistic-Large-Keeper-640.jpg

Display-Atrium-w-DE-and-DL-1024.jpg

Tiki-Progress-1-640.jpg

Tiki-Cage-at-Show-1-800.jpg

Broderp, I warranty that the cage parts coming out of the box are free from manufacturing defects. If a defect is noticed after it is assembled or after three months it is still covered. The time of discovery is not an issue. The nature of the problem is the issue. If the part fails in a way that is not due to mis-use then it is covered. I want all of my cages out there to be the quality I intended. If the situation is unclear as to how it happened it is a case by case judgement call.

Regardless of how a problem happens, replacement panels are available for all the cages.

The aluminum framing material and screws used for the cages are more than sufficient for standard chameleon cage use case. I have access to thicker framing and can build a cage that you can climb on and jump up and down. But, I would need a use case before I would burden the BOM with extra cost.

The Dragon Ledge part itself failed at 50lbs of 90 degree downward load applied to the 1/2" mounting hole on the front of the ledge. In application it gets more complicated because of the infinite variations and angles that the load can be applied. I tested application by hanging bricks and rocks.

Of course, you can over burden any system, but I can post here examples of what has been done before. One gallon pots are standard to be used. A data point that may or may not be useful is that you can stress the Dragon Ledge support part in the Large Atrium by placing a large stick the full width of the 45” wide cage on two Dragon Ledges and then hanging a 1 gallon lush potted pothos from the middle. The weight of the fully planted 1 gallon container two feet out will cause flexing in the Dragon Ledge back brace. I have yet to break one in application, though. Hanging the pots along the sides as shown in the pictures takes advantage of the strength points in the cage and I have been able to hang Tiki decorations from Home Depot of respectable weight without issue. In all the time of putting together these cages I have not seen the integrity of the aluminum framing be challenged. I would need more information on what you mean by hanging a wall before I could tell you if it would work. Though, I have created planter walls with a branch support grid, potted plants, and filled in with Great Stuff foam that have done a beautiful job. I’d say to just take a look at some examples and see how well your vision matches.

That's perfect. (y) Thank you for taking the time to so completely answer my question and then show me more. I must have previously misunderstood how your warranty works.

Your reputation and this level of customer service (even though I'm not even a customer yet) is why I believe when I'm ready to make the switch to a screened enclosure, this will be the first place I will look.

BTW, have you thought of having thin clear (or even semi-transparent) plexi-glass side panels that can be magnetically attached to one or more panels? Similar to your breeder selections but in clear. This would allow owners to have a traditional screened look and function along with the ability to add panels to help retain humidity and such as needed. Even a combo unit with a mix of fixed screen panels and/or fixed solid panels?

If you would like to have a beta tester for such a design I know someone who would be willing to "field" test such a nice enclosure ...:rolleyes:

BTW, have you thought of having thin clear (or even semi-transparent) plexi-glass side panels that can be magnetically attached to one or more panels? Similar to your breeder selections but in clear. This would allow owners to have a traditional screened look and function along with the ability to add panels to help retain humidity and such as needed. Even a combo unit with a mix of fixed screen panels and/or fixed solid panels?

Well, I do have a line of Clearside enclosures which incorporate a durable clear PVC that can be stitched taut just like screen. So it allows us to have clear solid side cages in the dimensions we chameleon keepers need without the weight of glass. We give up the heat retaining properties of glass, but we gain light weight, clear viewing, mist retention, humidity retention, and no shattering possibility. It also allows us to have a large clear sided cage that includes drainage. In the pictures above the one with the Tikis inside is actually the clearside cage. It has the left side and top screen so you still get ample airflow. The Large Clearside Atrium Enclosure is my personal favorite cage to use because of its size (45" wide x 44" tall x 22" deep) and the fact that I can create humidity pockets. With the screen floor included with the drainage tray option I have no standing water within the cage itself even after giving my parsonii a 30 minute mist shower. And no water on the floor or walls either!

Well, I do have a line of Clearside enclosures which incorporate a durable clear PVC that can be stitched taut just like screen. So it allows us to have clear solid side cages in the dimensions we chameleon keepers need without the weight of glass. We give up the heat retaining properties of glass, but we gain light weight, clear viewing, mist retention, humidity retention, and no shattering possibility. It also allows us to have a large clear sided cage that includes drainage. In the pictures above the one with the Tikis inside is actually the clearside cage. It has the left side and top screen so you still get ample airflow. The Large Clearside Atrium Enclosure is my personal favorite cage to use because of its size (45" wide x 44" tall x 22" deep) and the fact that I can create humidity pockets. With the screen floor included with the drainage tray option I have no standing water within the cage itself even after giving my parsonii a 30 minute mist shower. And no water on the floor or walls either!

Yes, I saw those. I spent about 25 minutes trolling your website. (Please don't tell my boss :coffee:) Great looking stuff. I looked at those, but was thinking long the lines of adding panels to a screen enclosure to sort of have the best of both worlds in one cage. Screen for the summer, then add the panels for winter or when the air gets dryer.

Right now I'm window shopping as I don't even have a Cham yet (give me a day or two....:rolleyes:) but when I do he will be a little guy. Maybe when he gets bigger and outgrows his 18 x 24 x 36 terrarium I will spring for a Dragon Strand.

I'm liking the large clear side, and that would be the the size as well (45" wide x 44" tall x 22" deep) I would most likely get. Go large or go home right? ;)

Wow, thank you for the above discussion! I am chomping at the bit to get the large atrium - trying to decide between full screen or clear now. What I need to know: what are the packed dimensions when you ship it? I live in Canada, just over the border, so will have to trek down to pick it up and drive it back - I need the dimensions to decide if it will fit in my Honda civic, or if I'll need to beg a truck off of someone. Also, what is the weight...will I need to bring some muscle? :)

Another aspect, I am planning on ordering the drainage tray, but notice the one for the large atrium doesn't appear to have the heavier duty supports - is it just the picture, or would it be unable to support, say, a larger potted plant or two? And is there a substrate tray available in this size (I'm beginning research on doing a planted bottom to go with creating a "living wall", complete with springtails and other critters to do the dirty work - would you say this advisable for a panther cham in this set up, and/or is it achievable in this set up?)? The cage is far more important to me than the planted bottom, so I'm ok if you recommend against this for either reason (not good for chams or not suited to this cage system).

Thanks!!! (and my pennies are piling up and nearing the $ goal!! Yaa!!)

Last edited:
Wow, thank you for the above discussion! I am chomping at the bit to get the large atrium - trying to decide between full screen or clear now. What I need to know: what are the packed dimensions when you ship it? I live in Canada, just over the border, so will have to trek down to pick it up and drive it back - I need the dimensions to decide if it will fit in my Honda civic, or if I'll need to beg a truck off of someone. Also, what is the weight...will I need to bring some muscle? :)

Another aspect, I am planning on ordering the drainage tray, but notice the one for the large atrium doesn't appear to have the heavier duty supports - is it just the picture, or would it be unable to support, say, a larger potted plant or two? And is there a substrate tray available in this size (I'm beginning research on doing a planted bottom to go with creating a "living wall", complete with springtails and other critters to do the dirty work - would you say this advisable for a panther cham in this set up, and/or is it achievable in this set up?)? The cage is far more important to me than the planted bottom, so I'm ok if you recommend against this for either reason (not good for chams or not suited to this cage system).

Thanks!!! (and my pennies are piling up and nearing the $ goal!! Yaa!!)

The screen version is 49" x 25" x 7" 22lbs and the Clearside is 49" x 25" x 10" 32lbs. It is definitely best to send it to a location in the US as that size box causes havoc with international shipping.
The drainage tray for the Large Atrium does have the thick supports running in three places from front to back. Although I can make a substrate tray for the Large Atrium I didn't list it because of what the cost would have to be for something that large to be strong enough to maintain its shape when filled with dirt! But it is possible!
A Panther chameleon would do fine in a bio-active environment as long as you have done your homework on how to set one up. Bio-active is a wonderful approach, but it does require a basic skill set to make it work well. Since you are doing your research ahead of time you would be the one most likely to make it work!
Bill

Thank you so much, Bill. I'll check the dimensions out this weekend & start making plans from there.

Wow!! It could be done!? How much would the substrate tray for it cost (she asks, holding breath :unsure:)? Apologies for my confusion, but would a drainage tray be necessary (or even advisable) underneath? And thank you for the term "bio-active", I can be less hit & miss now as I dig deeper into researching it.

Have a great weekend!

Marlisse

Hi Bill, what mil thickness is the clear side material? Someone posted a thread about how to clean these and it got me thinking about the durability and best way to clean the clear panels.

i wanted to get one at the reptile expo in Los Angeles back in August 2016, but they had all been sold out. I waited for the next show in January as i knew my boy would be bigger by then but unfortunately i didn't see the booth and I believe it was a mistake that the show made on the list of vendors. I will be going with Dragon strand for my next Chameleon, but am probably going to get the drip easy drainage that drangon strand sells for my XL cage pretty soon :)

Do you have the large Clearside atriums available now? And how much extra would it be to include a bottom screen in with packaging?

Thought I'd post a little update - I went ahead with my order for the large clear-sided atrium a number of months back now, and Bill was such an amazing help. This was my very first foray in to bio-active set ups, and I love how this turned out (after countless hours of research & finding the chameleon podcasts)...

Here are a few pics for any who might be considering something similar. My boy, Strider, is now in his own slice of paradise! My major components are made up of the large, clear sided atrium (so glad I went with the clear sided option!!), external drainage tray, custom substrate tray, mistking system, and T5 Quad 36" "Tropic Blaze" from Light Your Reptiles.

Strider has been in his new home for 2 months now!

@DeremensisBlue - thank you again for all of your help!!

Attachments

• 2 weeks in - 2.jpg
    2 weeks in - 2.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 373
  • foundation in place.jpg
    foundation in place.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 422
  • foundation pins.jpg
    foundation pins.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 404
  • front of viv.jpg
    front of viv.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 566
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 386
  • Lights going out.jpg
    Lights going out.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 406
I just purchased the large Clearside.
Thought I'd post a little update - I went ahead with my order for the large clear-sided atrium a number of months back now, and Bill was such an amazing help. This was my very first foray in to bio-active set ups, and I love how this turned out (after countless hours of research & finding the chameleon podcasts)...

Here are a few pics for any who might be considering something similar. My boy, Strider, is now in his own slice of paradise! My major components are made up of the large, clear sided atrium (so glad I went with the clear sided option!!), external drainage tray, custom substrate tray, mistking system, and T5 Quad 36" "Tropic Blaze" from Light Your Reptiles.

Strider has been in his new home for 2 months now!

@DeremensisBlue - thank you again for all of your help!!
It shipped out yetserday. So so excited!

Back
Top Bottom