Isopod Breeding Season?

cyberlocc

Chameleon Enthusiast
Does anyone know if it is currently Isopod breeding season.

I recently got a colony of Giant Canyon Isopods, and the other day I went to feed them and mist them and there was 100s of little white things running around lol. They came out of nowhere, one day there was nothing, the next 100s.

Anyway, then I decided to capture a breed some local Isopods. (the ones that roll into a ball). I put about 20 into a container and misted it ect, threw a carrot in and left it alone. That was Friday afternoon.

Just now I opened the container to see if they ate the carrot I gave them, it doesn't look like the wild ones did, there was a small chunk of carrot gone, however the small chunk was covered in maybe 50-100 white babies. All around the sides more babies! So apparently I caught a pregnant one or a bunch of pregnant ones. I released all the wild ones and Kept the babies in the container.

I plan to breed the Rollie Pollies to at least F2 before feeding any of them. To try to be rid of parasites and heavy metals.

So I dont know if it is breeding season or what, but the Isopods are reproducing like crazy right now lol.

It's because of the heat. I have a heat pad attached to a thermostat to keep the temperature at 82 degrees f the same temp as my gbr. It switches off when it gets too high and comes on when it's too low. I already have hundreds of babies from the colony another forum member sent me and several newly pregnant mamas. They do better with heat for sure.

Last edited:
As long as it is warm, they will continue breeding and producing given that they're provided food, water, and places to hide. I have yet to read about a species that requires a cold period.

It's because of the heat. I have a heat pad attached to a thermostat to keep the temperature at 82 degrees f the same temp as my gbr. It switches off when it gets too high and comes on when it's too low. I already have hundreds of babies from the colony you sent me and several newly pregnant mamas. They do better with heat for sure.

I didn't send you a colony. But we both got ours from the same wonderful forum member :). And yep I have a ton of babies too :).

I just couldn't believe the wild rollie pollies had babies so fast. They must have already been pregnant. The heat explains it it has been hot here the last week.

I know I realized just a few seconds ago you weren't her

LOL, :). I wouldn't call her name out, I wanted to make a thread and tell everyone how awesome she was for that. But then I worried people would PM her for Isopods and she may not like that.

Last edited:
I love how they are breeding as next I need to get dwarf whites and purples for a cleanup crew for my bioactive cage plans. I want to try the oranges too as these things are super easy.

I literally just mist a tad every few days, and throw in some food.

At first reading about them, I was worried as they do need it very humid. A lot of people were saying mist 2-3 times a day. Though I found a trick that is similar to the way I am designing my new cham cages.

So when you make your bin, Dont cut a huge screen top like for roaches ect. Just put a bunch of like 1/16 holes in the side, like 4-12 depending on the cage size.

The tank for them is always moist, there is always water on the walls dripping down from the condensation. You dont have to mist nearly as much at all.

I am building all my tanks around the "Exoterra Viv" idea. It uses so much less water.

I have also been thinking about adding some moss to the Iso Enclosure, to give even more humidity. I thought about adding a plant, but they dont get much light in there current bin.

I also only use drilled holes. I have moss, slate rocks, and wood pieces. I put a piece of apple, or some sort of food in there every other day. What kind of food do you use? I have found the Giant Canyons like apple the most, at least my guys do. Have you found any greens or anything else?

I also only use drilled holes. I have moss, slate rocks, and wood pieces. I put a piece of apple, or some sort of food in there every other day. What kind of food do you use? I have found the Giant Canyons like apple the most, at least my guys do. Have you found any greens or anything else?

I give them a mix of both, my blended gutload, and fresh baby carrots. They eat the gutload and seem to like it okay. However they devour carrots like crazzy.

The only bug I have that eats carrots faster is superworms. those things will eat like 5 baby carrots in an hour (I do have like over 1k supers though)

I haven't tried apples, I will have to try that. They do seem to like greens as my blended gutload cubes are mostly dandelion.

Also in my substrate I have pieces of oak, mixed in and bark from oak and oak leaves. They seem to munch on that stuff a bit as well.

With my wild ones it was strange. I put a carrot in but the wild ones were just trying to escape lol. The babies were all over the carrot though.

I have oak leaves and brittle dry pieces of bark. Both start rotting in the humid environment which I think the isopods like. I only have dry gutload so I don't think I want to put that in the enclosure, it'd mold to fast even though mine takes forever to mold. But I will try some greens and see how they like them and some carrot pieces.

I have oak leaves and brittle dry pieces of bark. Both start rotting in the humid environment which I think the isopods like. I only have dry gutload so I don't think I want to put that in the enclosure, it'd mold to fast even though mine takes forever to mold. But I will try some greens and see how they like them and some carrot pieces.

They do like the rotting wood and mold. They actually eat mold, they like mold. Though am not sure I would feed your cham one that has eaten mold recently. Then again Penicillin is made from mold lol.

They will eat the wood when it starts to rot, I mixed it in with the soil so that happens faster :).

Ya Dry gut load probably not a good idea. I have seen some videos showing they like repashy bug burger. Eventually, when I move them into the new bug room when its done. I want to plant some low life safe for eating plants in a clear enclosure for them and see if they will eat that as well.

LOL, :). I wouldn't call her name out, I wanted to make a thread and tell everyone how awesome she was for that. But then I worried people would PM her for Isopods and she may not like that.

Hahaha, thanks for being considerate - I do appreciate it. However ...

If anyone wants a starter colony of Giant Canyon Isopods, PM me! Nobody is my house is eating them currently, so I have been thinking about retiring my colony. They are very easy to care for and breed. I will happily give them to folks on the forum for the cost of shipping. 2-day shipping will probably be somewhere between $25 and $40, depending where you are.

Back
Top Bottom